Author Topic: Spring 2010 DB Tribal Gathering  (Read 52185 times)

CrazyCossack

• View Profile
Re: Spring 2010 DB Tribal Gathering
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2010, 12:29:11 PM »
Woof Jkrenz,
It'll be my 1st time @ any DB function.
Definetly not my call, but I'm not sure you fit the criteria for the "Tribal Gathering"
Its for tribe members only.
                     C-HD

What exactly is the criteria to be eligible for a tribal gathering?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2010, 01:27:08 PM »
Member of the DB Tribe.

CrazyCossack

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2010, 02:16:50 PM »
Member of the DB Tribe.

Pardon my ignorance but member of the tribe is?

"Dog" status?

C-Dog?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2010, 05:37:50 AM »
Dog and up.

Growling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2010, 09:08:27 PM »
woof
filling up my card early
Kaju- cane fight ( and i will make sure you get first crack at the newly healed arm :-D)
Terry C.- single stick
Linda- knife
i still owe Papy Dog one

those who do not listen learn through feeling

jkrenz

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2010, 04:50:19 PM »
Maybe someday.  Sigh...   :-(
Strike first, strike hard, no mercy

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2010, 04:47:59 AM »
Fortune cookie says:

"The longest journey begins with the first step." 

So come fight at the Open Gathering in the Fall , , ,

jkrenz

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2010, 06:51:43 PM »
Woof Guro Crafty,

If i don't end up on the 2 way shooting range again (I will but hopefully not in September), I'll be there! 
Strike first, strike hard, no mercy

trickydog

• View Profile
my Achilles heel.... again
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2010, 08:59:53 PM »
dearest brothers of the dog

As Crafty mentioned some while ago, I am somewhat disabled.  Again.  Ruptured Achilles tendon.  Other leg.  Same story though - full rupture while sparring, emergency surgery the next day, 6-8 weeks to repair, and then 4-6 months in an "air cast" - which is just a medical term for a ski boot.  The latter allows my repaired Achilles to slowly stretch back out to normal length by periodically removing one of the four heel lift inserts in the sole.  No pain, no fuss.  Just a whole lot of waiting.

Argh.  Makes my heart ache though.  Like a rotter.  Life telling me to slow down, apparently.  And thanks Guide Dog for the lovely invitation to dance with the mae sowks - I am impressed with and honored by anyone who is willing to stand in front of those things - and it has little to do with my prowess, believe you me.  And I was hoping that Top Dog and I would have another chance to go the distance as well.

Such are the fortunes.  Martial arts have been good to me thus far - I can hardly complain for the occasional setback.  That said, those who have blown out knees, shattered bones, or otherwise messed themselves up severely can no doubt relate.

Meanwhile, I am still intending to be there, life and other abiding conditions notwithstanding.  If for no other reason than to play corner to my boyz.

More soon.

NOTE:  I don't get to the forum as often as I'd like - people are invited to ping me by email if there is post here that I should respond to.

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: my Achilles heel.... again
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2010, 12:03:20 PM »
Such are the fortunes.  Martial arts have been good to me thus far - I can hardly complain for the occasional setback.  That said, those who have blown out knees, shattered bones, or otherwise messed themselves up severely can no doubt relate.

Loki,

In 2007 I'd bought early flights for the LA Gathering, but when I fought at the Euro Closed earlier in the year (but after I'd bought my LA tickets) I tore my right meniscus. I still came out as I was travelling with Scotty Dog and, now, C-Psycho Bitch and I watched the fights (we actually met when you did your interview for the OP documentary, I was there with Scotty).  I can totally relate to how you must feel, I had to sit out the Euro Open later that year as well.  It was an interesting change watching the fights though, and not having to worry about fighting myself.

Anyway, I hope your road to recovery is quick and that you find activities to keep your skills up.

Colin

p.s I recently bought Stephan Kestings Roadmap for BJJ, nice cameo  :wink:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2010, 03:03:13 PM »
Due to a very bad knee injury in 1992 I have tremendous empathy for Tricky's current (and recurrent) woes and the deepest of respect for the true warrior spirit he shows in this moment.  He certainly is an outstanding fighter, but more importantly in this moment he shines as Dog Brother.

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2010, 09:19:58 AM »
Tricky,

I'm starting to think maybe I got lucky that your role at the Tribal Gathering will be that of a coach!

Seriously, I'm sorry you are injured. You have a tremendous reputation as a fiighter, and I hope we have the opportunity to fight in the future. I hope you heal in a timely manner, and I'm sure you will find a way to work around your injury as a teacher and coach.

Sincerley,

GD
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com

Growling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2010, 07:38:03 PM »
woof

any news on location?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2010, 05:10:05 PM »
Yes.  While out in Moreno Valley yesterday for my "Kali Tudo" seminar, I was able to check out the Temecula option.  It is a go.

I also have "The Tree that Walks" brainstorming his vast databank of memories for little hidey spots up in the hills of Palos Verdes (10-20 minutes south of my house in the South Bay-- which is 10 miles south of LAX.

As was always the case, the thing to do is fly in to LAX.

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2010, 03:36:22 PM »
Im looking forward to seeing everyone again.  LAX is always a solid option.  I like Vegas due to the cheap tickets and fun after parties...   But, FYI Guro and Tribe, 1 of our schools here in Fresno now has a cage that we can use for a future Gathering or even seminar with our Guiding Force Crafty Dog... 

Im sure there are a few others out there with these things available, but I just wanted to toss that out there...

Woof,
KD
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2010, 04:15:38 PM »
A Howl to the Tribe:

Please post here and/or in the DBMAA forum if you are coming. 

Woof Kaju:

It would be my pleasure. 8-)  Please email me and we will get things rolling.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2010, 07:43:03 PM »
Woof All:

The situation in Temecula is that my brother's house is in foreclosure and no longer functionally available to us.  We can still use the land, but the house has no water (e.g. toilets of no use) etc.

OTOH I have scouted at least three good locations in the Hermosa area and am thinking that we should hold the Gathering there.  If we have to move from one location, we have others as backups.  Much greener, much nicer area, and much closer to the airport ( miles vs. 100 miles)

TAC!
CD
GF

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2010, 03:18:13 PM »
Concerning the location:

Temecula is out.  Instead we will be doing the Flash Mob thing in the South Bay area of Los Angeles.  Fighters, please email me at Craftydog@dogbrothers.com for further info.

HCTHC!
CD
GF
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 03:27:58 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2010, 08:19:59 PM »
Hope we don't lose any of the Euros due to the volcano!!!

PhilipG

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2010, 05:54:15 PM »
Never mind just the Euros, the east coast is being approached by those self same clouds giving such fits and starts to Europe.

PG

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2010, 06:20:51 PM »
Uh oh , , ,

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2010, 06:28:53 AM »
Woof, Just a shout out to all the fighters this weekend! May you all fight with, "The heart, mind and Balls'....It takes to be a part of this group.
Safety and with Minimal injury's, will be my thought for you all.
Air it out Baby!  :mrgreen:  :-D  The tribe Rocks!
C-you all in Sept....                  C-HD
Howling Dog

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2010, 07:20:41 AM »
Lonely and crew apparently have escaped from Europe and will be arriving today.  Tricky is brining 3 or 4 from the Vancouver clan.  The Tribe begins to gather.  THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES!

"Higher consciousness through harder contact"(c) !!!

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2010, 10:36:54 PM »
Sled Dog was at the IAMA tonight with one of his students.
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2010, 01:13:47 PM »
WOOF!

Tomorrow and Sunday the Adventure continues!

Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

"The greater the dichotomy, the profounder the transformation.  Higher Consciousness through Harder Contact!" (c dbi)

Crafty Dog
GF

Growling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2010, 09:53:36 PM »
WOOF
good luck to all the fighters, i am sorry i missed this one
i will see you at the ope gathering for sure
C-GD

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2010, 12:12:26 AM »
Hey Guys,

Hope you have a blast!

C-PD

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2010, 07:29:33 AM »
Some awesome fights yesterday and the prospect is for more of the same in a few hours.  8-)

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2010, 06:59:11 PM »
The tribe is strong. NoHo continues to bring it. Europe is just as strong, and for those who were not in the know (and now I am as well), our brothers to the north in Canada have been busy as well producing some great talent. It was a fantastic two days with some familiar faces, and some new friends as well. Much thanks to all who those with whom I fought, and a big congratulations to everyone involved.
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2010, 03:56:53 PM »
I suspect everyone is still in the altered space after two days of outstanding fighting.

Dog Howie

• Power User
  • Unexpected Anomolies
    • View Profile
    • My Duncan RiZe MySpace page
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2010, 10:06:59 AM »
Anyone want to post any details about any of the fights? Single stick vs Single stick? Doubles? Knife vs stick? Others? Any overall observations.Was Kaju busier than usual or business as normal? Hey, I gotta ask questions as I'm in desperate need of vicariously living this through the experiences of others.

Sheep Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2010, 05:04:39 PM »
Quick thoughts from the last gathering. Missed the first day due to work, but I was able to make the second.

Guide Dog stood out as he just fought, and fought, and fought, and... well you get the idea. Very impressive.

Tennessee Dog was a maniac with his nunchaku vs. sarong with ball attached fight. That was a highlight for me, very unexpected results.

As for me thanks to Linda, Guide Dog, and Pappy Dog for allowing me to play and have fun, Sunday was probably the most playful I've felt at a gathering and after what I think is six or seven years of gatherings I've actually began to feel like I am coming into my own, only thanks to those I can go against. Iron Sharpens Iron.

The DB ethos was strong, we really are a tribe.

Thanks to Crafty as always.

Sheepdog
-Never Mistake Patience and Tolerance for Weakness-

trickydog

• View Profile
Team Sled Dog eats pucks!
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2010, 11:01:30 PM »
I have to say that it was a great event just for having so many of the Canadian brethren down at once.  Including the redoubtable root of the Canadian family tree, Philip "Sled Dog" Gelinas.  In total, there were seven of us - three from the East (Toronto and Montreal) and four from the Left coast.

There was quite the spread of experience represented - from 20+ years of Gatherings to first-time fighters and everything in between.  And it was really really hard for me to have to sit on the sidelines and be the water boy.  I suffered a rupture of my left Achilles tendon at the end of January (while fighting at least - I'd hate to have to say slipping in the bath or stepping off a curb) and I've been stumping around in a "ski boot" for 3 months.  Frustrating and yet certainly easier on the body.

But it gave me a chance to watch my guys, and my guro, fight.  And fight and fight and fight.  A two day event really gives you a chance to get into the rhythm of the fight.  Get over the adrenaline dump, past the tension, and start to really focus down.  And that's what they did.  Everyone.  And I was sorely impressed.  Well, maybe not as sorely as they were.

And going back to the 4th Street park in Hermosa Beach was awesome - talk about bringing back the old days.  I fought there regularly during the 90s, often twice per year, until the space was finally retired to take it to the RAW gym and other locales.  It was definitely like going back.  It looks only a little different - but it felt the same.  Running around on the same old ground, what have I found?  The same old fears.  Wish you were here.

There were lots of fighters I haven't seen for too long - last time I was down was in 2007 for the big NatGeo filming.  Timing and life stuff just hadn't made it possible since then.  So despite my ski boot, I had to come down and support Team Sled Dog.  And it was great to see old friends like Crafty and Pappy and Lonely - have breakfast at Rocky Cola, shoot the breeze, talk trash.  And, yeah, I trained a little on the side.  Got some pointers from my favorite fighters.  I didn't go away empty handed.

And holy smokes - does Linda every wield a mean machete.  She is incredibly fast and .... intricate!  I can only describe her blade movements as intricate.  Like watching something being woven out of steel (or aluminum in this case) in mid-air.  I tried to figure out what she was doing that was so different but I don't think I can quite.  I certainly can't reproduce it myself.  And were those ever big aluminum trainers.  Kudos!

Overall, the aspect of the weekend that struck me most was the intensity - everyone fought with technique, agility, and focus.  But the intensity of most of the exchanges was way up there.  There were a couple of moments in particular from my own guys that really impressed me - and that's hugely gratifying - when you watch people you train with step up and meet the tremendous intensity of seasoned Gathering veterans ..... and hold their own.

And watching Sled Dog finish with his signature "vampire killer" just puts the icing on the cake, makes everything right for that moment, puts balance back in the world.  Cue Purple Haze.  Run the credits.  This is what makes watching the Gathering so great.

But next time, I get to fight, 'kay?

To all those who fought, and to all of you who will fight again, I salute you.  To strength, courage, and brotherhood.