Author Topic: Need Help Getting back into the swing of things  (Read 6344 times)

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
Need Help Getting back into the swing of things
« on: December 23, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »
For awhile now I have slowed down to Zero of praticing my Fight skills. All I have been doing is lifting weights and Strong man lifts and have become rather yolked out lol But I miss doing some drills. Does anyone know where I can start getting back into it around my lifting program?  I was working on Shoulders and Triceps today and while I was resting I grabbed my Stick and started doing a couple of light power swings to just stay warm..Though I have no interest in using a stick it felt kinda good.

I have my heavy bag I was going to start fist drilling on and doing some knife drills but anyone have any suggestiong to get me pumped up again? Maybe a example of what I am doing for work outs could help someone help me fit in some drilling

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Getting back into the swing of things
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 08:16:50 PM »
Sometimes we hit a slump, I'm currently stuck in the rhythm of the seasons - winter is for resting. Although I'm still going to the gym too, sometimes a small break from your training is a good thing. You don't need to feel guilty or force it, the desire will come back on its own. This past week I've been re - watching my DB DVDS and some other FMA instructionals giving me some food for thought and ideas for training/drills/stick work/etc. When I'm ready to start regular training again I'll be on GO.

Another consideration is to make your martial arts training a part of your daily routine. Until a few weeks ago, I would just play with the sticks for 20 min a day. It's kind of like my meditation. Sometimes it's serious, but mostly it's just playing around to relax. No need to be pumped up, just sort of chill. Even with the heavy bag, just turn some relaxing music on and play at different striking combinations. It'll help ease your return to more intensive training.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 10:01:30 PM »
This is excellent advice-- note particularly the season of resting (hibernation).

Jonobos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 06:20:48 AM »
The urge to hibernate is almost irresistible when you live in the north. If lifting and strength is your thing have you considered using something other than rattan? Pipes filled with sand, or rebar or something? I have had my eye on those torque blades for a while now...
When life gives you lemons make lemonade
When life gives you hemlock, do NOT make hemlockade!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 07:56:40 AM »
The Torque Blades are not cheap (hard to avoid given the small size of the market for them, but we wanted to help the maker out) but they are very cool. 

Rarick

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 07:59:08 AM »
I know a couple of SCA Knights would work pells over with 1" rebar or thicker in the "off" season.  They had POWER, accept the valid blow or see stars even thru the 10-15 pond steel helmet.  Done for the day too, your hat was gonna need repairs.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 08:16:06 AM »
Ya when I was using the Rattan it was just way to light. I tried moving on to the Hard Wood Komegong stick I have and that was to light as well. I have a steel pipe that is the size of my 31 -32  K.I.L stick and I was thinking of maybe filling that with sand, sealing it up and using that to swing with for awhile. I tried to do some knife speed drill the other day but I was found myself asking myself if I was bored.

I am still going to try and do something here and there and build up the pace

Jonobos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 09:11:50 AM »
The Torque Blades are not cheap (hard to avoid given the small size of the market for them, but we wanted to help the maker out) but they are very cool. 

I am assuming they don't come as a set?
When life gives you lemons make lemonade
When life gives you hemlock, do NOT make hemlockade!