Author Topic: BBC: Last Woman Standing : stick fight  (Read 15550 times)

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
BBC: Last Woman Standing : stick fight
« on: February 24, 2010, 03:43:01 PM »
Girls Stick Fight - Last Woman Standing - Series 1 Episode 3 Preview - BBC Three

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcfYTBqIq88

Baltic Dog

Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo (Prof. Richard Lewis)
3rd Degree Black Belt Instructor

Bono JKD/Kajukenbo (Prof. John Bono)
Gentlemen's Fighting Club

Rarick

Re: BBC: Last Woman Standing : stick fight
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 01:25:07 AM »
Not used to adrenaline dump.  She has to learn to handle the juice.

pau

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 04:50:24 PM »
She is so angry cos the other girl is not using her foot work and the training  :lol: she shud be more consern on how to counter the "cheese" figthing

love to see the complit episode
guau desde mex ^^

woof from mex ^^

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »
I watched episode 3 which featured Pekiti Tirsia Kali training with Master Rommel.  There are a lot of initiation and toughening rituals, which overall, develop a tougher person.  I really enjoyed watching the courage development in their cave navigation by candle.  My only complaint with the training is that while heavily-blistered hands and feet may recover in seven days for the final fight, it will compromise the rest of the training. At least that damage took place on the first day.

There was a "Human Weapon" episode with this sort of training.  While I loved the rituals, it seemed as if much of the training was designed to weaken the visitors to ensure that they would not best the locals.
Baltic Dog

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 06:38:17 PM »
You cynical dog you  :wink:

Jonobos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:53:57 PM »
Too much crying about what the other person is doing...
When life gives you lemons make lemonade
When life gives you hemlock, do NOT make hemlockade!

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 03:25:20 PM »
The crying and whining is indeed unfortunate and most probably a complete distortion of the experience, but nonetheless, it is just as valid as showing a hand injury.  The show is about 2/3 of the 60 minute time slot.  The 40 minutes of material were drawn from nearly seven days of footage.   How are these girls supposed to know that their few moments of emotion will dominate the rest of their efforts?   These shows are typically completely produced before the first episode is aired.   Still, these shows are overall excellent and provide the non-Bachelor/Bachelorette/BravoTV population with a taste of globe.  Do you see me rushing home to cheer my favorite American Idol?
Baltic Dog

Rarick

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 02:57:01 AM »
Sting- you hit that one on the head.  Ultimate Fighter is done that way, it is pretty much done and over with by the time it hits the air.   The only thing left undone is the finale fights- that give it the "live" feel.

She is dealing with adrenaline dump, and probably has never experienced it before.  Most people in our society have never experienced it, and have no more ability to deal with it than an adolescent going thru puberty.  I have had dumps that leave me aching for days afterwards, many people think that is injuries, it is just sore muscles from the overdrive of the dump.

Crafty talks about Adrenal State, and he is right to make a point of requireing risk during the Gatherings with minimal protection.  After all in reality there is going to be minimal protection and a similar adrenal dump.  Walking as a warrior means you have a Ph. D. in how to live and thrive in this state.

Jonobos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 10:34:52 AM »
I am sure its not a bad show. I just don't see the point in blaming someone else's "inferior strategy and footwork" on your loss. It seems to me that her expectations of what a fight is, and the reality of what a fight is are in serious conflict. But I didn't get to see the entire show so maybe the point wasn't that it was a fight, and they were supposed to go out and twirl and tippy tap? I typically don't much attention to anything but the fights in these shows because I am not interested in all the manufactured drama.
When life gives you lemons make lemonade
When life gives you hemlock, do NOT make hemlockade!

Rarick

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 04:33:53 AM »
Yeah, in some ways martial arts is like sex- entusiasm can go a long way :-o   Willingness to take the risk, and practice to make/ have a technique when facing the "Tasmanian Windmill".

I see some people making comments in relation to shooting "the trigger pull is funny", but if you are really proficient trigger pull doesn't matter.  The BANG is supposed to be a surprise right? heavy or light trigger pull doesn't matter all that much-it is the squeeezzzee that counts Bam!  suprised?- bet you hit the target if you kept your sight picture........

The sight picture in martial arts is keeping the chaos from jamming your awareness and being practiced enough to act to end the fight while staying alive.  A lot of this is being able to act faster than your opponent- hence the enthusiasm/ willingness to mix it up.

Make sense to you?  Works for me.