Author Topic: Kali Tudo 3  (Read 14403 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Kali Tudo 3
« on: February 12, 2010, 12:36:57 PM »
Woof all:

The recent camp, plus some other footage :wink: will become "Kali Tudo 3".  On this project we look to have an unusually quick turnaround time-- about 4-6 weeks.

The Adventure continues!
Guro Crafty

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Kali Tudo 3
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 09:33:44 PM »
Night Owl tells me the edit progresses steadily.   SWAG finishing date of early April.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 09:06:49 AM »
The edit of Kali Tudo 3 is coming along nicely.  We will be integrating some footage shot last year in Hawaii with the Hawaii Clan of the DBs of the Malayu Game.

As discussed and shown in our "Staff" DVD, "Malayu" means "Malaysian" and is a reference to the Malayu Sibat (Malaysian Staff) structure that I learned in the Philippines from GT Leo Gaje.  For us it is the name of the core power strike in this system.

Friday afternoon is open mat time at Rigan Machado's and is one of my favorite sessions of the week and has become part of my conditioning program.  Rolled last night for a solid 75 minutes, including the last 15 minutes doing friendly stand up MMA sparring with a nice purple belt.  Integrating the Malayu Game and the Bolo Game was working really nicely.   

Now a big tough young blue wants to try me next week.

The Adventure continues!

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 01:51:13 PM »
Sweet!

I'm really looking forward to this one  :-)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 05:14:50 PM »
Marc Denny Spoke with Night Owl this morning at 05:30-- just before he went to bed!

Anyway, KT-3 is moving along nicely. NO tells me he has edited it down to a razor sharp two hour disc. I should be receiving a fine edit by this weekend.

pau

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 08:12:10 PM »
Nice cant wait  :-D
guau desde mex ^^

woof from mex ^^

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 07:17:15 AM »
Night Owl came by yesterday with the fine edit for KT 3.  I'm really liking how this project came together.  With any luck he should have the final version for me on Sunday. 

The Adventure continues!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 11:10:21 PM »
Night Owl dropped off the final edit today for my approval.

I have watched , , , and I approve.

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 11:19:50 PM »
Cool!  What sort of turn around do you expect on getting it out?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 07:55:49 AM »
Well, it always seems to take longer than we thought :roll: :-D so keep that in mind when I guesstimate two weeks.

We still have to design the box then get it all to the duplication house, not to mention the promo clip.
==============
Woof All:

As I see it "Kali Tudo(tm)" was mostly about getting people to see Kali/FMA triangles in the footwork and to see striking while moving in the "1 to 1"ratio (a triangular step for every strike) on these triangles.

Because the DVD was aimed both at the MMA audience and the Kali/FMA-JKD audience, for the hand strikes I mostly limited myself to the forehanded thrusting strikes  commonly known as "boxing"  though I did introduce the pakal knife based concept of "the Dracula".

In "Kali Tudo(tm) 2: The Running Dog Game" I introduced Kali strikes outside of the boxing paradigm  and , , , drum roll please , , , trapping.  Because one of the great challenges in applying trapping is the fact that our opponent moves when we try to hit him, I introduced it with the ground behind him (i.e. against the guard) so he couldn't move away.

Now in "Kali Tudo 3" it is time to bring full expression of kali weaponry movements to empty hand striking.  With this we can test our weaponry movements empty handed in the adrenal laboratory of MMA and thus achieve "consistency across categories" in reality applications i.e. we use the same response whether the fight involves weapons or not for we will often not know in timely fashion whether a weapon is involved or not.

I have approved the final edit of "DBMA Kali Tudo(tm) 3". 

It is a double disc and features MMA Wrestling Coach Kenny Johnson and me.  Included is footage shot last year in Hawaii with the Hawaii clan of the Dog Brothers.

The focus is on standing striking combinations such as:

a) Dracula brings the Stake, Hammer, and Cross
b) Dracula evaded sets up the Dodger
c) Dodger-Dracula-Bolo 
d) Dodger-Malayu
e) the Flying Bong Sao/Rdeverse Dog Catcher

in the context of rhythm (quarter beats, double timing, and triplets).  All of these are weaponry motions, either double stick, stick and pakal knife, or double pakal knife.

A potential area of weakness with this material is that we become so entranced with the efficacy on the high line that we leave ourselves open to a low-line MMA wrestling shoot.  This is where Kenny comes in--  he shows how to do and how to counter these shots.  It is a great pleasure to have Kenny, who is THE MMA wrestling coach in the MMA world today, share with us some of what he trains fighters such as Anderson Silva, BJ Penn, the Noguiera Brothers and other world champion fighters.

The Adventure continues!

Guro Crafty Dog/Marc
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:05:20 AM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
A question
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 02:42:23 PM »
This question was asked on another forum:

"Whoa, I look forward to taking a look at this one!

"At the seminar in Slovenia, I was thoroughly impressed with the developments of the Dracula game, and this will come as an excellent elaboration in that area. I am wondering, however, whether coach Johnson's stuff in the DVD is somehow "integrated" with the Kali-Tudo approach, or taught as a separate set of skills?"

My answer:
===================
Good question.

Although I accept the challenge of the cage on its own terms with our Kali Tudo, for us the cage is simply an adrenal laboratory for our empty handed street skills. Thus we need to solve the questions presented by the cage with structures and idioms of movement that are solve the questions of street reality.

One of the risks of the Kali Tudo striking game is to get so entranced by its potentialities that we sometimes tunnel vision in a way that we forget that it can be solved with a good elevation drop and shoot.

To innoculate ourselves against this we must be training partners who can keep our training partners honest by attacking and counterattacking with good shots and we must have good solutions to this.

This is where Coach Kenny's contributions come in.

I would add that our curriculum has additional responses to the sprawl material shown by Coach Kenny, for example a move I call the "Silat Gator Roll".

The SGR has its genesis in a move that I learned from UFC middle weight challenger (3x IIRC) Frank Trigg while I was at the RAW Gym. Frank's foundation was wrestling and the move included what wrestling people often call "a gator roll". He introduced it by saying it was a good move for when one's sprawl was late. Being the slow old fart that I am I naturally perked up and paid extra attention.

Try as I might, I could not get the move to finish the same way he did. I suspect the reason was that my silat training caused me to wind up in a different place than he did- but it seemed quite valid to me nonetheless. So I named it the Silat Gator Roll to acknowledge the two sources of knowledge that contributed to the move.

There are also responses to the shot based around Lameco's use of the Ilustrissimo cross step with certain non-boxing striking techniques that are delivered on unexpected angles and beats

prentice crawford

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 12:16:56 AM »
Woof,

Guro Craftydog's Kali Tudo 3 (TM), will be coming soon and this is your chance to really put your own mix into the mixed martial arts.
 Nothing feels better than lulling an opponent into believing that he has the same skill set as you and then dropping Kali Tudo on him like a ton of bricks. He literally won't know what hit him! :-D So put back a little cash or get ready to dig out the rainy day money you've got stashed so that you can get your hands on this new DVD.
 I don't like telling my friends about the new stuff Guro Craftydog offers instruction on because generally speaking I like learning it first and then I can kick my friends as# with it! :evil: Joking aside, this is really top notch material that gives you something that the other guy just hasn't seen before and having an edge like that is golden. As a matter of fact, I think Kali Tudo means golden in French. :roll: Have fun guys and get out there and hit somebody! :-D

P.C.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:25:42 AM by prentice crawford »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Promo clip
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 10:27:11 AM »
The promo clip is up at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgocx5C-Cpg&feature=email

Let us know what you think.

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 07:22:50 PM »
Great clip!
It's really cool to see doble cada principles transferred to empty hand in this way.  8-)
It will seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.
Miyamoto Musashi.

pau

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 08:15:05 PM »

Grate stuff as always  :wink:  cant whait to get a copy

i have a  :? is one dvd on Kalitudo and the other one more on grapel?? just asking.
guau desde mex ^^

woof from mex ^^

Gong Fu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
Really nice clip...I´m looking forward to see both DVD´s  :-)

- Thomas

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 02:01:03 PM »
Just an extended commercial for KT3:

Guro Inosanto thinks so highly of Kenny Johnson, that Coach Kenny was the guest instructor for the Tuesday night JKD III class which took place during the most recent Inosanto Instructor's Conference at the beginning of August. Guro I. stressed how much he wanted all of the visiting instructors to attend that evening session to take in Coach Kenny's expertise and laid back (and really accessible) teaching style and personality. The link below has some photos from that night:

http://inosanto.com/?p=1714
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 04:05:16 PM by Guide Dog »
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 10:38:06 PM »
Very cool GD.

BTW, Cindy finished the box cover today and we should be shipping in about two weeks. 

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Pre-orders now being taken
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 02:49:22 PM »