Author Topic: Case Study: knifer shot by store clerk  (Read 7404 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Scurvy Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Case Study: knifer shot by store clerk
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 07:43:10 PM »
My random thoughts on this video in no particular order:

1. I have less than 30 days left in Costa Rica and have been filling the days with teaching self defense classes for the local gringos. One of my opening lines is to the effect of violence can happen anywhere at any time and this video is clear evidence of that. I wish I knew the back story of why this happened. i.e., Revenge attack? Random psycho?

2. Dog Catcher anyone? Perfect time to utilize that technique to be sure. I only hope I can pull it off if I ever need to. Knowing how to do it and doing it are two different things however just like anything else. E.g. I just watched a video of myself getting destroyed with a shock knife on YouTube. In those quick couple seconds I didn’t do a damn thing right and I had just trained the DC the month prior with Guru Crafty and Poi Dog! Sobering to say the least…

3. If the shop owner wasn’t armed I’m not sure the guy in the dark grey or the shop owner would still be alive. On that note, if the guy in dark grey hadn’t attracted the attention of the knife wielder the shop owner would never have had a chance to access that firearm. 

** Note to self, if I ever find myself working in a convenience store keep my pistol on me. Not in a place I need to be directly adjacent to in order to grab it. Especially not in a place that my body is blocking while I’m trying to fend off a gnarly long blade!  That being said, not sure he would have had time to access it anyway. 21’ feet be damned!

4. Interesting to see the length of time it takes for the wounds to really begin to show. I wonder how much he really knew about the extent of his injuries until the blood started to really come.

5. Lucky he nailed the guy on the first shot with the ‘full homie gangsta’ grip. I don’t even think he had a sight picture period let alone just the front site on target. Considering the statistics on LEO misses at close range that was pretty lucky.

6. Lucky this wasn't Pizza Hut or he'd be fired!  :wink:

michael

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 07:02:01 AM »
Very interesting video, and I would be curious as to the backstory if anyone knows.

What I found interesting is that once again we see how a knife does not instantly provide a stop. The guy at the entrance appeared to run out of the store after his throat was cut, and the store worker took several stabs and a slash to his head and was still mobile. He did go down to his knees, which should of course be avoided if possible.

Very lucky shot from the store owner, and he was fortunate the attacker went down quickly, which is unusual.
***Look at a man in the midst of doubt and danger, and you will determine in his hour of adversity what he really is***

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 01:06:24 PM »
Agree with points already made.
Also I was pretty impressed with the store owner - not only did he do a great job point shooting under stress - perhaps he was lucky ... but still, great job ... Didn't freak out when he knew he was bleeding, AND managed to dial his cell phone for help after no doubt a huge dump of adrenaline.
It will seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.
Miyamoto Musashi.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
IMHO it is quite remarkable that the other fellow jumped in to help the clerk.  Usually people hang back or run away.

Unfortunately he did not seem to have a clue as to how to intervene effectively and wound up being in a terrible position when the knifer turned on him; but for the lucky/instinctive shot by the clerk, the man might have been killed or gravely wounded.

Forgive me the , , , advertisement, but in Kali Tudo 3 we teach how to get behind someone AND WHAT TO DO ONCE THERE IF THEY HAVE A KNIFE.

Héctor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 05:22:21 PM »
hi

I agree with everything said here.

we untrained people are odd, but we do not realize it.

two things i noticed is, our common sense goes out the window. the clerk could of at least have put the chair in between, specially when we do not know dog catcher. Then the brave employee, had a good posibility when attacking behind the psycho, this store had lots of goods, probably some glass bottles? he could of have hit that back head with something while busy with the clerk. These are things i can perfectly criticize from my pc desk, but surely i myself would of have done very dumb things.

I agree they were all very lucky, i dunno if the attacker simply lacked slashing skills or a bad blade. the keypoint was the second employee reaction to assist the clerk when being stabbed by the psycho.

i might sound sadistic, but i enjoy the way he falls like a dummy in full surprise when he gets shot. I wonder what caliber it was. does look like a 9 mm, but not sure what it is.

regards

Scurvy Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 07:27:43 PM »
I was wondering the same about caliber. It could be a 9mm but looks possibly like a .380 as well. I tend to not like the smaller calibers but here it did it's job.

I agree with Maija as well on his reactions.

Lots of surprising results in this vid to be sure.

pau

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 06:08:41 PM »
To bad we dont know the story for this.

Well to me he goes directly for the store clerk he just cuts the throat of the first guy to get him out of the way the thing is the SHOCK from it you see the clerks reaction to the guy entering the store he has no time to even get up cus he is just stund from the actions of this man.
guau desde mex ^^

woof from mex ^^

shenbitt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 09:24:08 AM »
I had heard on the web that the younger man in the grey was the clerks son attempting to help his father. Nothing for sure however.

Tyler