Author Topic: What makes a master  (Read 5606 times)

Sarapangpuki

What makes a master
« on: November 20, 2003, 11:57:52 PM »
Its been said by many people, that sometimes the greatest fighter is the worst teacher, and sometimes a mediocre fighter is a great teacher.  So what to you makes a master, his skill fighting or his skill teaching?  While ideally a master would have a good balance between the two, its not a perfect world.  

Personally, I value a good teacher above a good fighter.  I believe a good teacher can always de-construct and analyze movement, and share that with students, whereas a good-fighter who is not a good teacher internalizes the naturalness of his movements that make him a good fighter, and while his skill may be great, it cannot be shared.  Meaning, a good fighter may take those movements that make him great for granted, and it will not occur to him to teach to others that which comes second hand to him, whilst a good teacher/coach can deconstruct movement and theoretically analyze poor form.  Now this does not mean that I feel there is no room for good fighters, and ideally if a good fighter and a good coach get together, there is alot of potential for students to learn.  But, if I had to chose one, I would rather have a good teacher.  Whilst it may be awe inspiring to have a teacher who un-surpassed as a fighter, as a student it is meaningless to my growth if that awsome fighter cannot help me grow.

Galinggulong

analogy
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 11:59:34 PM »
A good analogy to this question would be boxing trainers.  While many, if not most trainers have had careers boxing, some of the best have had only careers that were mediocre, but have produced phenomenal fighters.

Mike

• View Profile
    • Real Contact Stick Fighting
What makes a grandmaster? by PG Edgar Sulite
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 02:35:50 AM »
What makes a grandmaster? (A quotation from PG Edgar Sulite)

To be recognized as a Grandmaster or Master of combat arts in the Philippines, you must have made your reputation and show mental maturity and physical age. Grandmasters question the rankings of other grandmasters.

Masters and grandmasters are criticized and questioned regarding their skills and abilities. Who bestowed their title? Do they have enough skills for the titles they carry? How many years have they been practicing the art? How old is he? How many followers and students does this man have?

In other martial arts, the attainment of a certain level automatically designates the title Master or Grandmaster. In the Philippines, there are certain norms to be satisfied before one can be called and accepted as a Master or Grandmaster.

A master of the art must be a master of himself. He must be in control. His daily life epitomizes a man in control of his life, his destiny. A master of the art must know his art, its origins, its history, its philosophy. He must know the techniques, the interplay of techniques, and the reversals of techniques.

A master must know the basics, the intermediate forms and techniques, and the advance levels of the art. Mastery of the art does not only mean so many years in the art, but the amount of experience using the art, one's personal evolution within the art and personal dedication and contribution to the art.

A master of the art must know how to teach and impart knowledge from the art. He must be able to communicate, elaborate and present the art in such a way that each student learns on a personal basis. Each instruction is adapted to the learning process and ability of the student. A master must be a real maestro, a real teacher.

A master of the art must be of good character. He should epitomize the qualities of a leader, the majesty of a noble, and the courage and strength of a warrior.

A master of the art is called and acknowledged a Master by other masters, never by himself.

by Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite

Kindly regards, Mike from germany