Author Topic: European “Gathering of the Pack” 2011  (Read 67594 times)

Gong Fu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: European “Gathering of the Pack” 2011
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2011, 04:25:58 AM »
barna284, I´m sorry that we missed an oppertunity to chat a bit...but we will do this next Year for sure  :-)

Spartan Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Brothers Training Group - Athens, Greece
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2011, 09:43:26 AM »
I'm already in London, yet the days at Bern are still running through my head. I really enjoyed being a spectator in this Gathering; both the comradeship and the intensity of the fights were amazing.

I'd like to thank all the great members of the tribe I met. Guro Crafty and Guro Lonely, thanks for some great training sessions. I'm sure it'll take me a long time to fully absorb everything we saw. Kostas, Colin, Thornsten, Chris and anyone else I may be forgetting, thanks for the friendly conversation and advice. I look forward to seeing you all again next year, hopefully as a fellow fighter in the Gathering!

I very much enjoyed meeting you and chatting...I'm only sorry you did not manage to make it back to the Campground afterwords, so we could hang out longer. Hope that the rest of your trip is fabulous.  When you return, please give my regards to Nicolas - though I've not met him in person.  Hope to see you again next year  :-)
Dog Brothers Training Group, Athens, Greece
http://www.dogbrothers.gr/

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2011, 01:40:57 PM »
Woof:

Sounds like this Euro Gathering was a huge success! Congratulations to everyone involved especially Guro Crafty and Guro Lonely!!

Out of all the Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association European members, feel the 'closest' to C-Gong Fu Dog and candidate DB Kostas (what's your DB name going to be?) - Congratulations to both of you!!! Cannot wait to check out the 3 Sectional Staff fight!

Very truly yours in the MA and SD,

~sg
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Gong Fu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2011, 02:09:28 PM »
Stickgrappler, Xiexie!! Kostas name is C-Spartan Dog, which fits him quite well-Not because he comes from Greek, cause he fights like one!!
I still have so much to learn with my weapon. I feel I just scratched the surface of the weapons potential...
But thanks to Guro Crafty I got now lots of new ideas!!! I´m so grateful that he helped me with my game!!!!!
So hopefully in the future I will use the whole potential from that weapon and will fight better...well, at least I will try  :-)

Woof!
C-Gong Fu Dog

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2011, 02:25:36 PM »
LOL! My initial thought was because Kostas is from Greece he is C-Spartan Dog!

Very cool that Guro C was able to give you a few pointers, if you need more, you can always watch/rewatch Gordon Liu Chia-hui in "36th Chamber of Shaolin" aka "Master Killer" or "Heroes of the East" aka "Shaolin vs Ninja" ;-)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:30:39 PM by Stickgrappler »
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Gong Fu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2011, 02:51:12 PM »
Yes...36th Chambers of Shaolin is the BEST movie with 3SS ever!!! And to be honest, this is where I got most of my techniques from   :wink: :-) :-) :-)

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
  • I might be small.....but, I'm not little
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2011, 04:07:59 PM »
Yes...36th Chambers of Shaolin is the BEST movie with 3SS ever!!! And to be honest, this is where I got most of my techniques from   :wink: :-) :-) :-)

so THAT's the secret! This whole time, I was wasting watching Power Ranger episodes for the latest techniques!  :lol:
C-Mighty Dog      small dog...Big Balls

Gong Fu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2011, 04:24:15 PM »
Ahhh...Power Rangers-Well at least now I know why you are so damned fast  :lol:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2011, 08:06:56 AM »
Ron Balicki tried getting me a job once as one of the bad guys/things but at 6'1" I was 1" too tall for the maximum allowed for the costume.

Spartan Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2011, 08:31:43 AM »
Stickgrappler, Xiexie!! Kostas name is C-Spartan Dog, which fits him quite well-Not because he comes from Greek, cause he fights like one!!

Truth is, I stand my ground when sometimes I should not...maybe I should start thinking less like a Spartan - it certainly would result in less colorful bruises  :wink:

I still have so much to learn with my weapon. I feel I just scratched the surface of the weapons potential...
But thanks to Guro Crafty I got now lots of new ideas!!! I´m so grateful that he helped me with my game!!!!!
So hopefully in the future I will use the whole potential from that weapon and will fight better...well, at least I will try  :-)

I'm happy to hear you so passionate about this...it shows in your fighting that you have given a lot of thought, and put in work towards really expanding your fighting skills with the 3SS.

Spartan Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2011, 08:42:17 AM »
Woof:

Sounds like this Euro Gathering was a huge success! Congratulations to everyone involved especially Guro Crafty and Guro Lonely!!

Out of all the Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association European members, feel the 'closest' to C-Gong Fu Dog and candidate DB Kostas (what's your DB name going to be?) - Congratulations to both of you!!! Cannot wait to check out the 3 Sectional Staff fight!

Very truly yours in the MA and SD,

~sg

Thank-you...my Dog Candidate name is C-Spartan Dog, as noted below.  The funny part is, I've passed through Sparta, and I'm not particularly attached to it...furthermore, I've yet to see the movie 300  - so why Spartan Dog ?  When I attended my 1st Gathering in 2009, I was so so hyped up, I feel I fought better in that one, than in any since.  Several people remarked on this and one tribe member wrote me something to the effect that it was as if I was trying to keep my opponents from "getting past" me.   This made me think of the Spartans at Thermopylae.

My dream, is to someday fight again as well as I did at my 1st Gathering.  I hope I can fulfill it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 08:49:27 AM by Kostas »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2011, 12:17:18 PM »
I thought C-Gong Fu Dog did a fine job of integrating into his fighting the 3SS ideas that we worked only the day before.  As he has time to bubble and ferment inside with them and the experience of the Gg with them, I look for his game to move forward nicely.  Similarly I look for good things out of him in Kali Tudo  :wink:

C-Spartan Dog:  Do not confuse success with progress.  Sometimes we move forward more from a challenging day than a "successful" day.  Also, as you note, emotion plays a big role in fighting.  For example, when I heard that George Forman would be wearing the shorts he wore the night he lost to Mohamed Ali when he challenged Michael Moore to retake the Heavyweight title, I bet on him because I knew he would be bringing EVERYTHING in his soul to that fight.  I made a lot of money that night  :-D

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2011, 02:03:35 PM »
Ron Balicki tried getting me a job once as one of the bad guys/things but at 6'1" I was 1" too tall for the maximum allowed for the costume.

I gotta say, the whole "visual" of you as an octopus monster or whatever, had me grinning ear to ear!  :-D

Gong Fu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2011, 08:38:57 AM »
I thought C-Gong Fu Dog did a fine job of integrating into his fighting the 3SS ideas that we worked only the day before.  As he has time to bubble and ferment inside with them and the experience of the Gg with them, I look for his game to move forward nicely.  Similarly I look for good things out of him in Kali Tudo  :wink:

Thanks a lot for your kind words! Like you say, my head is full of ideas right now, and I will do my best to become better and better with that weapon. And for sure I will also try to become better with other Chinese weapons  :wink:

I´m looking forward to the next Gathering  :-)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 08:40:30 AM by C-Gong Fu Dog »

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2011, 02:38:12 PM »
A bit late, but better than never.... ;)

A fantastic day! And training camp!

Over 50 fighters on the day, 65 registered but for many reasons several people couldn't attend.

We had single stick, double stick, stick & knife, knife, double knife, sword, double sword and staff fights!  A few even went to NHB when weapons were out of play.

Big props to Crossover Dog and C-Gong Fu Dog.  Crossover fought with the largest range of weapons of any of us, including 'mace', sarrong, and 'sarrong with a baseball in it'!  C-Gong Fu is deep into CMA and is a beast with the 3-sectional staff, the usual tactic of 'crash and smash' is made slightly problematic by his Brown Belt in BJJ and MMA background!

Congratulations to those who ascended!

Jerome "Frisbee Dog" Challon
Lynn "Psycho Bitch" Brown
Oli "Ghost Dog" Schaer
Peter "Grumpy Dog" Fray
Thomas "Sword Dog" Rickert

Benjamin "C-Thunder Dog" Schlieper
Filippo "C-Vegan Dog" Pani
Ivan "C-??? Dog" Pirozhkov
Kostas "C-Spartan Dog" Tountas (oldest fighter on the day, at 52!)
Manfred "C-Cop Dog" Schilka

A personal thanks to those that shared their day with me.

The Sunday was a seminar with Guro Marc, who focused on the alive hand throughout the day.

Monday and Tuesday were training camp days, with the training shared between Guro Marc and Guro Ben.  Guro Ben taught Krabi Krabong (ok, not an FMA!) and how it can blend with the traditional concepts of Kali, he also beasted us with his now famous Kali Fitness sessions (river training!).

On Monday Guro Marc focused on DBMA Dos Triques (double stick) and the interplay with empty had (Kali Tudo).  The Tuesday was focused on the Die Less Often (DLO) material, of knife v empty hand in a 360 environment.

A fantastic camp, and I thank all those who made it possible!

A special note must be made of Frisbee Dog, who's tent was next to a tree that was struck by lightning during the night!  He was fine, but the large tree has a huge crack in it now!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2011, 04:28:52 PM »
"Over 50 fighters on the day, 65 registered but for many reasons several people couldn't attend." 

Perhaps a last minute mini-epidemic of vaginitis?  :evil: :lol:

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2011, 04:39:11 PM »
"Over 50 fighters on the day, 65 registered but for many reasons several people couldn't attend." 

Ooooooooooooh snap!  :mrgreen:

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2011, 04:51:27 PM »

"pu soir" has been called?

--------

Great writeup Point Dog... thank you!

Congratulations to all who showed up to test themselves as well as their 'brothers' to test themselves... congrats on the ascensions!

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2011, 07:05:09 PM »
Congrats to all of the EURO Dog Brothers who have stepped up and did what it took to ascend! Hope you'll show up to a Tribal one year. WOOOOF

Hello Kitty

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2011, 11:08:59 PM »
I was out with vaginitus. I hate it when that happens.   :cry:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2011, 08:40:21 AM »
I thought you were at dangerous work on another continent altogether?

Gong Fu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »
Point Dog, thanks lot for your kind words! I hope that next year we will have a dance? Would be a honor for me to learn from such an experienced fighter like you are!!

Yeah, the vaginitis...I know at least two German Guys who become victim of these one day disease  :roll:

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2011, 02:50:47 PM »
Never make a commitments for something that no have little, or no intentions in fulfilling. Your word, whether verbal or written is the measure of you!

Gong Fu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2011, 03:41:40 PM »
Never make a commitments for something that no have little, or no intentions in fulfilling. Your word, whether verbal or written is the measure of you!

I like that! This is how it is supposed to be!

What I don't get is that these guys always have so nice excuses...If they would at least be honest and say whats up, it would be all good for me!

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »
I agree C-Gong fu! I run a very large corporation and am measured daily on my ability to fulfill my "word". Sometimes, there are financial consequences to them that affect the company, but as a good leader, you back-up what you say you're going to do regardless of those "consequences". In the case for the Gathering, the only consequence is...Pain! There is no shame in saying that "I can't make it", "i'm not ready","I'm broke" or "I'm scared shitless". But if you say you're going to go, many people are expecting you, not only for the "numbers" in turn-out, but also to fight and develop relationships...it is time to Step-up, Step-back, Put-up or Shut up.
Heal up! we're dancing in a few months!

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2011, 05:14:35 AM »
Point Dog, thanks lot for your kind words! I hope that next year we will have a dance? Would be a honor for me to learn from such an experienced fighter like you are!!

But after our beer fuelled chat at the campsite you now know my plan. Double v 3SS, I crash and get armbarred by you! ;)  That way I don't get hit!  :-D

I agree C-Gong fu! I run a very large corporation and am measured daily on my ability to fulfill my "word". Sometimes, there are financial consequences to them that affect the company, but as a good leader, you back-up what you say you're going to do regardless of those "consequences". In the case for the Gathering, the only consequence is...Pain! There is no shame in saying that "I can't make it", "i'm not ready","I'm broke" or "I'm scared shitless". But if you say you're going to go, many people are expecting you, not only for the "numbers" in turn-out, but also to fight and develop relationships...it is time to Step-up, Step-back, Put-up or Shut up.
Heal up! we're dancing in a few months!

Yes.  I feel there is a certain manliness in being able to say either "Funk that! I'm not that stupid!" or "No thanks, too scary!". I always make it clear to my guys that there is never any expecation from me that they will ever fight (that said, I'm always super proud when they do!).

Gong Fu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2011, 05:25:47 AM »
Point Dog, well we will see about that...Like I said you are an experienced fighter, and you are a Brownbelt in Judo and a good Bluebelt in BJJ ad last but not least: You hit hard!!  :-)

I'm also looking forward to my blade fight with Psycho Bitch! I was really impressed how she moved with the "Sword" (Sorry, since I'm not familiar with the FMA terminology I don't know how to call that blade  :oops: She is a real warrior and got amazing skills!!

So basically at the next Euro Gathering the Aberdeen Clan will kick my Ass...great  :-)

C-Mighty Dog: Very well said!!!

AndrewBole

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2011, 03:19:28 AM »
Couple of words from me too........albeit a bit late

Incredible weekend. Met heaps of new, awesome people. In no particular order, props to C-Dog IVan from Norway, the Bulgarian bunch Pavel and Kosta, Cro Dog and his awesome team, Aberdeen clan who were bringing the spirit of the highlanders to the center of Europe, The French Connection, Pascal, Jerome C-frisbee dog and Sylvie, the incredibles Thorsten C-Lena Dog and Kostas C-spartan Dog with their unvavering resolve, Kai S-Suicide Dog and his crew, who brought great skills to the dancefloor, then of course Sword Dog for his knowledge and info on fighting and especially for the Lichtenauer references and chats, and everyone else who I am sure I have forgotten to mention here, but will surely keep in touch one way or another.

Thanks to Guro Crafty and Guro Lonely for all the input and sharing of knowledge without which I would probably lay in a hospital with a 3 sec and a baseball marking on my forehead.

Special thanks to C- Gong Fu, Crossover Dog and Spider Dog for the beating and experience you gave me through the gentle kisses of rattan and baseball :)

WOOF

lonelydog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dogbrothers.ch
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2011, 12:39:51 AM »

Gathering report 2011

other than last year we decided to have this year only a 1 day gathering. The decision was made after I saw that on both days of Euro Gathering 2010 weren't as many fight as hoped-for…
and what an awesome Gathering we had! We had more fights this year in one day then on the two days together last year.

Indeed one of the best gathering we had so far in Europe. 53 fighters from various countries came to fight. We had people from Canada, Bulgaria, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Norway, Scotland, Slovenia,  Spain and Switzerland.

The registered fighters were:  Benjamin "Lonely Dog" Rittiner, Colin "Point Dog" Stewart, Detlef "Sinatra Dog" Thiem, Heiko "Crossover Dog" Zauske, Ivan "Kuma Dog" Reboli, Oskar "Spider Dog" Bernal, Stefan "Cro Dog" Kostanjevec, Tinu "3D Dog" Blatter, Chris "C-Lazy Dog" Goard, Chris "C-Rogue Dog" Smith, Daniel "C-Hidden Dog" Budar, Jerome "C-Frisbee Dog" Challon, Kai "C-Suicide Dog" Schilling, Lynn "C-Psycho Bitch" Brown, Oli "C-Ghost Dog" Schaer, Peter "C-Grumpy Dog" Fray, Thomas "C-Gong Fu Dog" Holtmann, Thomas "C-Sword Dog" Rickert, Thorsten "C-Lena Dog" Picker, "Dog" Benjamin Schlieper, "Dog" Filippo Pani, "Dog" Ivan Pirozhkov, "Dog" Kai Spintig, "Dog" Kostas Tountas, "Dog" Manfred Schilka, "Dog" Ray Wilson, Alexander Danckert, Andraz Bole, Andy Börngen, Arianna Accorte, Benjamin Salvisberg, Branko Bersa, Christine Martell, Damion Thomas, Ericson Hölzchen, Kostadin Zlatkov, Marco Castrovillari, Martin Helm, Mathias Fürer, Nils Hartmann, Pascal Gilles, Patrick Villing, Pavel Iliev, Peter Moll, Rudolf Pollak, Sanel Ukic, Tim Oliver Dreyer, Theo Goodman, Thore Baumgarten, Timo König, Timo Planke, Tobias Philippi, Ziga Polajnar

I’m very pleased to see that the fighters used such a big range of various weapons this year. We had fights with: stick, double stick, baston y daga, staff, 3-sectional staff, sword, sarong with baseball, mace/flail

There were a lot of great fight! It will be tough to recollect the whole day and hardly possible to relate everything… here some fights that cross my mind.

-  “Crossover Dog” fought a lot and with the largest range of weapons

-  Pavel and his convincing ambidextrous single stick game

-  Our “Bitches”, Lynn, Tine, and Ary had some fantastic fights. Good to see that female fighters are a fixture of the European Gathering!!

-  Happy to see “Ghost Dog” back in action, he fought well

-  “c- Gong Fu Dog” had some interesting fights with his 3-sectional staff

-  Filippo stood out as well, although the smallest fighter that day, did he some excellent fights against often a lot larger guys. Truly he deserved to be elevated to Candidate Dog Brother.

-  Many German clans were strong as usual: the “Cro Dog” clan, the “c- Hidden Dog” clan, the “c- Lena Dog” clan, the “c-Suicide Dog” clan, and the “c- Old Dog” clan. Good to see that dose groups are developing strong.

Of course there is a lot more that should be reported… but as I said it’s was a too big a day to relate everything.

After the Gathering it was time for the “Dog Dubbing”. But before we turn towards the announcement of the new members of the tribe, there was a matter of big meaning for me.

As many of you know did Abu "c- Desert Dog" Dayyeh passed away this year. He died doing something that meant the world for him. And so the “Council of Elders” decided to elevate him post mortem to full Dog Brother.

After all the fighters gathered for the dog-dubbing “Cro Dog” read a letter he got from Abu’s widow, in which she thanked everybody for the generous donation she got from the Dog Brothers. She mentioned also that she is happy to know that her husband was part of the Dog Brothers and had good friends among us.   
...verily emotional moments for many of us.
I’m honoured to announce that Abu Dayyeh is now known as "Desert Dog"!

Announcement of the “Dog Dubbing” Euro Gathering 2011:

New full Dog Brothers are:
Abu " Desert Dog" Dayyeh
Oli "Ghost Dog" Schaer
Jerome "Frisbee Dog" Challon
Peter "Grumpy Dog" Fray
Thomas "Sword Dog" Rickert
Lynn "Psycho Bitch" Brown

New Candidate DBs are:
Benjamin "C- Thunder Dog" Schlieper
Filippo "C- Vegan Dog" Pani
Ivan "C- Dog" Pirozhkov
Kostas "C- Spartan Dog" Tountas
Manfred "C- Cop Dog" Schilka

And with a big welcome “Wuff” here the new additions to the Tribe:
"Dog" Andraz Bole
"Dog" Ericson Hölzchen
"Dog" Nils Hartmann
"Dog" Timo Planke

"Bitch" Arianna Accorte
"Bitch" Christine Martell

Indeed this was a very exciting and successful event, and we all are looking forward with anticipation to the next Euro Gathering in 2012.

Wuff
Guro Benjamin “Lonely Dog” Rittiner

http://www.dogbrothers.ch/pages/en/dog-brothers/gathering.php

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2011, 11:44:25 AM »
Woof the Desert Dog and the others that have acsended into and up the Pack!

Gong Fu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2011, 08:07:17 AM »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:26:09 PM by admin »

c - Shadow Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • jkd concepts
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2011, 06:51:04 PM »

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2011, 07:39:51 PM »
The video and fights are awesome! I only had a chance to see it on the smartphone. The computer shows it much better. Great job everyone! You to Gong fu Dog! I like the spinning hit, that was fast!

Gong Fu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2011, 12:37:39 PM »
 C-Mighty Dog, thank you! That was one of the ideas Guro Crafty worked with me the day before the Gathering  :-)

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2011, 09:04:33 PM »
The video of the Euro Gathering on the main page is AWESOME  :-D

Great fights, great heart, great techniques. Guro Lonely is a beast. All the fighter's looked terrific. I loved the double stick stuff and watching fighters close the distance. The three section staff was very cool. The space look great (and the floor looked hard). Having Red Sonja (both woamn fighters moved very well) fighting was pretty cool too. The fencing at the end was beautiful to watch.
woof!

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2011, 12:27:42 AM »
Ummm.....you guys in Europe look Crazy!  Stay on the other side of the pond :-D

Loney Dog has only gotten faster and better with age, it's awesome to see his composure and what he'll pull out of his "Bag-o-Tricks"

Spartan Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
European Gathering (2011) Photos
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2011, 04:59:33 AM »
At the request of Crafty Dog - photos  by Frisbee Dog

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator