Author Topic: What are some indications your finger is broken?  (Read 6625 times)

pappydog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
What are some indications your finger is broken?
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:33:41 AM »
Can you actually hear a clicking? Or could that be something else? The tip of my finger is broken, I believe. What can aid in healing it the fastest.

I have immobilized it. But it is the tip so is doesn't move anyhow.

Created a cocktail of Fighter's Friend, Dita Jow, and arnica. Along with some calcium pills

I think I might just end up stinky with kidney stones and a broken finger.

Please advise

Pappy

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: What are some indications your finger is broken?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »
I thought people would be all over this thread  :lol:

danicasdad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 01:19:24 AM »
if anybody does jump on this, how about indications for dislocations? i think i messed up my right thumb at the gathering. not sure when or how, but its never been the same since.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 01:08:23 PM »
If you have to ask if it's broken......

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 04:49:53 PM »
It is his left index finger folks, not a good thing for a righty guitarist :-o

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 06:06:47 PM »
I get that if you are here, you tend to be of the high end of the testosterone scale and of the "pain don't hurt" philosophy, however medical professions are your friend. Neglecting things, like broken bones can result in impairment of your ability to fight.

Dr Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 07:27:31 PM »
Woof Pappy -

grinding or clicking is a pretty good clue its broken. I would recommend an X-ray to be sure a fracture does not extend into the joint. A distal fracture which does not involve the joint is a piece of cake, pretty much nothing can go wrong. If the joint goes into the joint it gets a LOT more important to get it set and splinted properly as poor alignment or healing can set you up for arthritic pain later.  My thumb last fall was in 4 pieces but unbelievably none was in the joint and it has healed just fine with virtually no care (I wrapped it in athletic tape) but Howie's thumb fracture I believe involved the joint and he had a cast on for quite some time IIRC.

The plastic finger splints they sell at the drugstore work great for a simple fracture or dislocation/sprain. Would not be adequate if the joint is involved.

Rick