Dog Brothers Public Forum
Return To Homepage
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 27, 2015, 02:20:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the Dog Brothers Public Forum.
85503 Posts in 2267 Topics by 1068 Members
Latest Member: cdenny
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Dog Brothers Public Forum
|-+  Politics, Religion, Science, Culture and Humanities
| |-+  Politics & Religion
| | |-+  Jeb Bush
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Jeb Bush  (Read 374 times)
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« on: January 07, 2015, 09:48:27 AM »

For obvious reasons Jeb gets his own thread.

I know we here have strong doubts about him (amnesty, common core) but I have read in more than one place that he has a very good record as Gov. of FL.  I saw the front page of his website on the news this morning and I must say I very much liked the bullet points he chose, things like Freedom, Free Enterprise, Strong National Defense, and more.

G M
Power User

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 11:04:03 AM »

Illegal immigration is an "act of love".

Enough of the rinos.
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 11:28:19 AM »

http://www.dickmorris.com/jeb-hillary-codependent-dick-morris-tv-lunch-alert/?utm_source=dmreports&utm_medium=dmreports&utm_campaign=dmreports
G M
Power User

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 11:38:43 AM »

I'm pretty sure we fought a war or two so as to avoid hereditary rulers.
DougMacG
Power User

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 04:55:26 PM »

"I know we here have strong doubts about him (amnesty, common core)"

- Yes, those are the two.  I would think he could back off of common core rather easily.  He was trying to raise educational standards in an initiative coming out of the states.  It turned into an escalation of liberal leftist, central federal government totalitarian control over schools.  Schools should be controlled locally.  Just say so.  How he finesses amnesty support into a Republican nomination will be more difficult and he seems to be immovable.  There are two sides to it.  Jeb is only showing that he gets the compassion for the illegals side of it and not the rest like laws, security and sovereignty.  Good for him (sarc.), but then he is running for the wrong endorsement.  The candidate who wins will have to acknowledge both sides of it and strike the right balance.

"I'm pretty sure we fought a war or two so as to avoid hereditary rulers."

- No problem, they will just both go by their first names, like my neighbor Prince Nelson.

"I have read in more than one place that he has a very good record as Gov. of FL."
"Enough of the rinos."

- His record during two terms in Florida is more conservative than Ronald Reagan's record serving two terms in California.

They said a long time ago that he was the best of the Bush's.  If so, then why did we have to suffer through the rudderless father and somewhat confused older brother first?

I am planning to support new blood first.  This also could turn into a head fake.  Like Hillary, he may find out this is not what he wants.  But right now, he is the Republican front runner.

G M
Power User

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 06:12:09 PM »

I am so sick of the republican structure pushing democrat-lite candidates. I will not vote for them again. I will worry about local issues and ignore the national goat rope.
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 05:08:13 PM »

Jeb's Real Opponent In 2016 Is Bush 43
By DICK MORRIS
Published on DickMorris.com on February 20, 2015
In his efforts to break free of the legacy of the Bush 43 presidency, Jeb reminds one of  Michelangelo's slave statues struggling against their stone fetters. Try as they might, they remain bound to the stone from whence they came.

Whatever one thinks of W's tenure as president, let's all remember that he left office with a Gallup score of 34 percent, having touched 25 percent in October/November of 2008 -- right around Election Day.

His last term ended in disaster. The financial collapse, the looming recession, and the residual negatives of the body bags that came home from Iraq seared into the public consciousness and made him one of our least popular presidents. His low point rating by Gallup of 25 percent is the lowest of all post-war presidents except for Nixon's, at 24 percent, and Truman's, 22 percent.

That is quite a legacy to live down.

And Jeb must live it down, explicitly. It is not enough to obliquely note, as he did in his speech this week, that "mistakes were made" in Iraq. He has to lay it out and put the blame where it belongs -- on the commander in chief.

But at least Iraq ended well as Bush left office -- only to be mangled beyond recognition by Obama's total withdrawal. The end-term legacy of Bush 43 is dominated by the second most harrowing financial crisis in our national history.

Was it Bush's fault? Damn right it was. He had been president for eight years. He had appointed the head of the Federal Reserve. It was his policy to maintain only the most minimal -- and distracted -- regulation of Wall Street. While he did make feeble attempts to rein in Fannie and Freddie, their mismanagement took place on his watch.

Understandably, voters would not rate highly his stewardship of the economy.

Jeb must get out of that shadow. The only way he can do so is to explain, in detail, what he felt his brother did wrong and to lay out how he would do better. Otherwise, his candidacy would be like Herbert Hoover's brother running in 1940, eight years after Herbert left office.

Hillary would have only to compare Bill's economic record with W's and the results would not be pretty.

To be sure, it was Bill Clinton's signature on the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act, his approval of the deregulation of derivatives, and his go-go instructions to Fannie and Freddie that laid the basis for the crash. But all that is for the cognoscenti. To the average voter, Bush equals recession -- in 1991 and in 2007-08.

If Jeb is sparing in his critique and fails to meet the concerns of voters head-on, he will pay the price and hand the election over to Hillary.

We must not blame Jeb for W's failures. But if he does not recognize, admit, and enumerate them -- and suggest how he would proceed differently -- we are entitled to hold them against him.

We had better. The voters will.
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 12:21:32 PM »

http://www.dickmorris.com/jebs-biggest-problem-w-dick-morris-tv-lunch-alert/?utm_source=dmreports&utm_medium=dmreports&utm_campaign=dmreports
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 09:40:32 AM »

Sean Hannity (yeah, yeah, I know) had an extended interview with Jeb Bush last night at the CPAC in front of a large crowd.

I must say Bush was quite good, and , , , presidential. 

Decide for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7edfSVLhA_8

HUGE problems remain with his candidacy of course (e.g. Distinguishing his calls for strength in foreign affairs from his brother's waging of the Iraq War) but I gotta say the man offers a lot too.  His record as governor gives him a gravitas that one term Senators like Rubio ( (Rubio, whom I like a lot, also was interviewed, but frankly was nowhere near as impressive.)  and Rand Paul, neither of whom have noticeable executive or business experience.  He answered the questions directly and without flinching, with vigor, and calls to economic growth for all. 

ccp
Power User

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 08:24:28 PM »

"He answered the questions directly and without flinching, with vigor, and calls to economic growth for all. "

Too bad he is a believer in big government.   He is absolutely ridiculous with the immigration thing.  What a sell out.   No other way to call it. 

But yes he has some positives.   The Bushes are great Americans but I hope we can get someone who is not an appeaser.   He is.   

Remember his father:   "voodoo economics".   Yet Jeb claims he is for tax cuts to spur the economy even with the astronomical debt load.   I just don't believe he means it.

Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 11:39:51 PM »

I could live with a compromise that AFTER THE BORDERS ARE CONTROLLED allowed those who were brought here very young and for all intents and purposes are Americans, to achieve some sort of legalized status.   I also note that he speaks of the very important point about narrowly limiting the definition of "family" that can be brought in from what it is now.
ccp
Power User

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 08:53:04 AM »

Kind of bizarre that Drudge reports Bush had "supporters" bused in to CPAC from DC.   One can wonder if all these "supporters" were people who had jobs with a Bush at some point and are vying for jobs with this Bush now.  

I was wondering why he got significant (though not huge) audience applause at times during the actually very good interview by Sean Hannity.  

Crafty, thanks for your always logical and reasoned thoughts.  Let me explain why I am against J.  Not because I don't like him.  He and is family are wonderful people, very smart, appear to be very honest, and are doing their best and what they think is right throughout their public service.   Yet they are inadequate to confront the "transformation" the liberals are doing to the United States, and actually the world.  Obama is just the "front man".

Let me explain:

"I could live with a compromise that AFTER THE BORDERS ARE CONTROLLED"

I used to think this way too.   I recall Doug once calling me a rhino some years ago.   He was probably right.   Then I learned.   The problem with compromise it is only a temporary rear guard action the delays but never rolls back the progressive onslaught.   It won't stop till the concept of country, sovereignty, borders, and real free will is gone.
One world nation under the new God, which will be ONE world GOVERNMENT with total control over every aspect of humanity on this planet.  Oh, they will say representatives are elected and it is some sort of Democracy but can anyone not imagine the totalistic control government and their favorite companies and people will have over all of us.  There already is quite a bit of that now particularly with this tyrant in the WH but just imagine what it will be like then.  Listening to that NYU professor (Jeffrey Sachs)  give his talk at my nephews graduation awakened me up to this goal of the liberal elite.  Ironically I was the only one of my clan there who even realized what he was saying.   My nephew who now works with Bobby Jindal thought the speech was not political!  Wow.  This is important to me when I think of the prospect of another Bush.   A  Bush will not turn back this onslaught to any real measure.   Yeah they may put in a few fingers to plug up  the leaks in the dam but will not really rebuild the dam and the water it holds.  

J Bush will govern the same way his brothers did.   Compromise and appease.   Remember who followed both his immediate family members in the WH!   If there was something great (like Reagan) about them this would not have happened.  Indeed, Reagan got H swept in only for him to squander the conservative wave to Clinton.  And that was after he earned a short lived 90+ approval ratings from the successful the invasion of Iraq and liberation of Kuwait.  

It is early.  I am not ruling J out.  Just very skeptical and leery.  He is going to have to put more than his words out there for me.
One more thing.  I don't like his calling himself a "grownup" whenever he implies the conservative Tea Party types are not.   What an insult.  We have a reason to be angry.   We have reasons to want to really put our feet down.  We have a reason to want to fight.  "Conversations" are not enough to fight back the left.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:59:39 AM by ccp » Logged
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 10:33:36 AM »

I agree with most of that too smiley  I guess I am just saying not to put our fingers in our ears just yet with Bush. 

I fully recognize that there are some serious potential weak links in his candidacy:

1) A natural and proper revulsion to monarchy/nepotism and the general revulsion to the idea of a First Lady running against the son and brother of previous presidents. 

2) As we call for a return to a strong foreign policy, we are going to be accused of wanting to redo what did not work in Iraq under Bush 2, and Jeb, an honorable man, will have a hard time criticizing him and distinguishing himself from his brother.   Remember too, Rand Paul will be resonating with many people with many of his criticisms.

ccp
Power User

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 11:01:39 AM »

"As we call for a return to a strong foreign policy, we are going to be accused of wanting to redo what did not work in Iraq under Bush 2, and Jeb, an honorable man, will have a hard time criticizing him and distinguishing himself from his brother"

Yes indeed.   
DougMacG
Power User

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 06:53:34 AM »

"He answered the questions directly "

Yes and no.   I agree he comes across ready, well informed and in control in the interview, hitting the right chords the best he can in front of the CPAC audience.  But when aiming at different audiences he has been leading with the issues that trouble conservatives most.

I found this comment regarding the current funding battle over unconstitutional executive orders on amnesty bothersome.  
Jeb said:  "It doesn't make sense to me that we're not funding control of our border which is the whole argument."

WHO is not funding WHAT??  He implies Republicans are about to not fund border security.  In fact, it is Dems not funding it and even if it fails, shutdowns only involve non-essential department employees, not border security.

I agree that serving two successful terms as governor of a major state is a good qualification.  I agree he sounds the right chords on economics, his Right to Rise is the same theme as Rubio who is trying to restore the American Dream.  I agree he is the sharpest and most conservative of the 3 Bushes we know. (Low bar?)  But I also agree with the criticisms.  He has a trust problem on immigration.  Why do we think he will be tough suddenly on border security where no one else including his own brother has.  Education has been taken over federally, by all the wrong people.  Common Core advocates draws a distinction that it is standards not curriculum, but it has become curriculum in fact if not in law.  It is an issue he should have dropped if he intended to move from state to federal level.  If education is his number one passion, federal government is not the place for him to advance it IMHO.

Jeb is not the candidate to unite the right.  People on the right don't trust him and people in the center who follow things less closely will mostly see him as another Bush.  That isn't easy to shake.  

If nominated, he will be the third candidate in a row who needs to reach back to the right in the general election when he should be courting the middle.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:05:06 AM by DougMacG » Logged
DougMacG
Power User

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 07:53:10 AM »

"I could live with a compromise that AFTER THE BORDERS ARE CONTROLLED"

I used to think this way too.   I recall Doug once calling me a rhino some years ago.   He was probably right.   Then I learned.   The problem with compromise it is only a temporary rear guard action the delays but never rolls back the progressive onslaught.   It won't stop till the concept of country, sovereignty, borders, and real free will is gone.

ccp: Hopefully I described you as a former moderate, not RINO in that you avoid taking on the Republican name.

Both Jeb and Rubio are more pro-legal-immigration than the views you've expressed here.  Others including myself are perhaps more pro-immigration, but only supporting the legal variety.

Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 10:37:21 AM »

Intelligent observations, and I don't disagree.

I guess what I was trying to say in this moment that there is plenty of substance to Bush as well.   NONE of the candidates has the well-rounded background and positions that I would hope for in a presidential candidate.
DougMacG
Power User

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 12:30:41 PM »

Agree, there is plenty of substance to Jeb.  CPAC was mostly about conservatism.  The question will gradually shift to electability and Jeb may win the nomination with that argument.

He answered the Common Core question strongly.  There is nothing he can do about his last name.  It comes down to the immigration question and primary and general election voters will have to make a judgment about that.  There is border security and there is rule of law.  If we give away too much to those who already came in, more will come.  Also, there is the political conundrum.  People tend to vote for the policies they are fleeing.  If it is to be 11 million people it will be 3 or 4 times that many, and if Republicans welcome them they will presumably vote majority Democrat anyway, guaranteeing Obama-like governance until the system collapses.  If we ignore rule of law and don't deport (status quo),  then there is an underclass living among us without consent of the governed and Dems keep the issue alive forever.  (The middle ground is probably the position Rubio takes now.  Border security must be proven over a period of time before further negotiations can proceed.)

Wm F Buckley said something like this, choose the most conservative candidate who can win.  I would say it the other way around, choose the most electable of the candidates whose positions and experience we find to be right or acceptable.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:01:52 PM by DougMacG » Logged
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 02:33:42 PM »

Hat tip to CCP for this one, this bears watching:
http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/03/20/levin-criticizes-jebs-association-with-israel-hater-advisor/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: