Author Topic: Solo training  (Read 16689 times)

JSworth

• View Profile
Solo training
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:50:06 PM »
Hello all. I have a question for the folks here that have experience fighting at the Gathering. I really would love to be able to fight at the Gathering of the Pack, but have thus far been unable to find any kind of quality training. It's always been a matter of simply being out of reach as far as  distance goes, or it costing more than I can afford right now. I do however have just about all of the DBMA instructional DVDs and was wondering if it would actually be possible to, at least on a limited level, prepare by solo training with the videos. I do have a little bit of a background in martial arts. I was even able to train with Guro Griffin for a short time. Most of what I know though has come from study I have done on my own and what I guess you would call "real world experience". Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
Re: Solo training
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 08:08:11 AM »
JS,

The majority of the preparation I did for my first few gatherings was solo. I will preface that by saying I had been part of a padded stick fighting class that met/fought regularly for the better part of two years before I started fighting. IMHO, sign up, show up, and fight. Then you'll know what it is. Like many things in life, you can know yourself very well, but speculation will remain speculation until you do the thing about which you're speculating!
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com

JSworth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 04:15:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice Guide Dog. I was doing some fighting with the padded sticks as well for about three years, but I ended up running out of people willing to fight. I guess even with the nice padded sticks it's a little too much for most people. With all that said, what gear should I bring with me? I know the type of fencing mask I need. That's a question that I have found answered many times in many places. But should I bring gloves as well? What kind would you recommend? I'm really hoping to be able to make it out this September. Even though I don't have a lot of training in martial arts it's something I really want to do and am really looking forward to. Thanks again to you and anyone else that can offer any advice.

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:18:43 AM »
You can take some inspiration from the fact that Top Dog was a solo trainer for a lot of his fighting career ;)

The material on the first four RCSF tapes can take you a long way!

JSworth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 11:43:55 AM »
You can take some inspiration from the fact that Top Dog was a solo trainer for a lot of his fighting career ;)

The material on the first four RCSF tapes can take you a long way!

Wow, I didn't know that. Another question I have, since I haven't been able to watch all the DBMA dvds I have yet, is whether or not there had been a dog brothers dvd that focuses on grappling. If so, which one? And if not is there any video series that you would recommend to help build a ground game? Like I said though, I'm pretty sure I have all of the instructional DVDs except for maybe one or two.

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »
Another question I have, since I haven't been able to watch all the DBMA dvds I have yet, is whether or not there had been a dog brothers dvd that focuses on grappling. If so, which one? And if not is there any video series that you would recommend to help build a ground game? Like I said though, I'm pretty sure I have all of the instructional DVDs except for maybe one or two.

There are the members only video lessons, Stickgrappling on dvd, and Stickclinch on dvd. Not sure if you're a DBMAA member, but they are available in the members store.

In the public dvds there's RCSF #5 (I think) which has a section on the Fang choke.  The Attacking Blocks dvd shows lots of nice takedowns and a bit of groundwork.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 07:16:38 PM »
In addition to what Point Dog just said, I would add:

a) RCSFg #5 is mostly about the Fang Choke and counters to the head lock.  This material is taught by Carlos Machado

b) Kali Tudo 2 has an anti-guard game that is partially grappling and partially striking

c) Kali Tudo 3 is co-instructed by world class MMA wrestling coach Kenny Johnson teaching counters to the wrestling shoot countering striking, and some wrestling based ground game

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 04:15:53 AM »
Apologies, I was thinking purely in terms of stickgrappling. 

Of course the dvds Guro Crafty lists are all awesome too!  There is a great depth of material in all of them, though I'd single out KT3 as the most information dense to date!  Kenny just 'leaks' grappling knowledge everywhere, just watching 5 mins of him teach could easily be the basis of weeks of class plans!

Being a Judo/BJJ/MMA practitioner myself, KT2 was a fantastic addition to my game (and in fact, it's probably due a rewatch ;) ).  I was fortunate enough to train some of this material with Guro C and integrate it into my game.  At my previous MMA gym (where I helped to coach), whilst not being the best grappler or striker, my ground and pound was definately up there.  This was due, in major part, to the material in KT2.

As Guro C says, it's about mental fluidity and viewing things in their entirety.

califkali

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 07:29:19 AM »
JS, If you dont mind sparring with a 53 year old guy i'm in the Hemet area. I trained with Lester for 2 yrs and fought in one gathering. Check my profile for my e-mail. Craig

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 07:31:13 AM »
PD:

I got a running dog footlock on one very surprised athletic 18 year old last night :-D

I am feelling very tickled with myself  :lol:

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 07:48:09 AM »
PD:

I got a running dog footlock on one very surprised athletic 18 year old last night :-D

I am feelling very tickled with myself  :lol:

Nice!

I'm suprised at the lack of awareness many have for the leg/ankle and especially wrist submission (in our gym they become 'legal' at Blue Belt and above).

In a moment of advertising for Guro C  :wink: The Running Dog posture (available on just a few clicks away) and the Guard Dog (you'll have to see the Dogfather himself) are both fantastic launch pads for both of these types of attack.

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 07:50:22 AM »
I know the type of fencing mask I need. That's a question that I have found answered many times in many places. But should I bring gloves as well? What kind would you recommend?

Hockey gloves are too much. I fight in leather work gloves. I think I've seen Guro Poi Dog fight in batting gloves. In eather case, there's no real padding to speak of. Pappy Dog makes a fine pair of gloves that offer less padding than hockey gloves, but more than work/batting gloves. I've seen many people fight while wearing them.

Beyond that, MAKE SURE you have groin protection. I also wear light elbow and knee pads. I would bring all the sticks you have. You might surprise yourself and want to fight with a different stick than you've been training with/planning to use.

All of the resources being suggested are excellent places to begin to fill in what you perceive to be holes in your game. Your participation will reveal more. That's just the way it goes.

What I can offer is perhaps philosophical. If you're nervous the day of, know that nerves (chatter) is a part of the experience. Also, in my experience, the fighters offer a rare opportunity; it's a group of people who are seeing things exactly as you are. I have never intereacted with anyone at a Gathering who didn't

1. have a great sense of humor
2. go out of their way to make sure I knew that even though we would be fighting with minimal protection and rattan sticks, they had my back in a manner of speaking. That is not to write that they would "take it easy" on me, but that they could show me my limitations without breaking me.

Other than that, try to stay present. Watch the other fights. Be a part of things. Yes, after a fight it's okay to get your breath, assess any damage, and talk with your last partner about what just took place. Beyond that, be part of the fighters and watch the other fights!

The majority of the people in the venue will be spectators. You will not be. You're a participant. Even if you're not one of the people engaged in the current fight, you are still involved in the day on a deeper level than the folks in the seats. When you finish your first knife fight, or your first stickfight of the day, and your nerves quiet, try to enjoy yourself and appreciate the day.
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com

JSworth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 08:29:08 AM »
This is some really great advice. Thank you all again so much. It's great that a group of people who have been doing this for some time can still remember what it was like the first time and help support someone new.

Califkali, I checked your profile but you have your email hidden. I sent you a pm instead.

Thank you all again for your help.

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 11:45:59 AM »
It's great that a group of people who have been doing this for some time can still remember what it was like the first time and help support someone new.

The first time?  Try 'every time'!  :-D

In my experience it does get easier with time, but if you're not feeling 'something' then I'd suggest you weren't taking it seriously enough.

Dr Guide Dog has offered up some good advice there too  :-)  I know some like to wear soft/neoprene elbow/knees, but personally I find them slightly restricting. I'm a mask, gumshield, gloves, cup and shoes guy (yep, some guys like to go barefoot!).  I know some of the guys like the elbows/knees in case they strike the front of the 'grater' of the mask, but I tend to avoid doing that (I did headbutt one once, that was an education  :wink: ).