Author Topic: Fall Dog Brothers Open Gathering of the Pack 9/18/11  (Read 151864 times)

kumurick

• View Profile
    • The Pit - Malibu Martial Arts & Fitness
Re: Fall Dog Brothers Open Gathering of the Pack 9/18/11
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2011, 11:40:17 PM »
1) Do you remember the first time you had sex?
It kinda hurt and was over fast

2) Were you any good at it?
It kinda hurt and was over fast

3) Have you gotten better since then?
It doesn't hurt any more :|

H.M.

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2011, 06:18:43 PM »
Dogs,

I also am a noob who will have his cherry popped (with a big stick) at this Gathering.

I'd appreciate any of you experienced fighters who'd like to mentor me (again, with a big stick) saving a slot for me on your fight card.   

I don't really have a lot of martial arts or fighting experience but I've been working with the Noho clan since the last Gathering. 

I guess, per the advice above, that I'm looking for a knife duel to warm up then some single stick fights but since I don't know what I don't know I'm up for anything.

H.M.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2011, 07:21:31 PM »
A number of registrations have come in.  Know that Pretty Kitty is wading her way through 2000+ emails  :-o that came in while we were on family vacation. 

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2011, 06:34:10 AM »
Woof!! There's a semi challenge on the Dog Brothers facebook page to make this Gathering the largest yet (Registered fighters) So I'm encouraging everyone to get off the fence and step up to the plate and get into this most awesome event.
Trust me you will be glad you did!! Now lets flood Pretty Kitty with those forms (Legit forms)
WOOF!!   Howling dog
Howling Dog

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
  • I might be small.....but, I'm not little
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2011, 08:29:31 AM »
Woof!! There's a semi challenge on the Dog Brothers facebook page to make this Gathering the largest yet (Registered fighters) So I'm encouraging everyone to get off the fence and step up to the plate and get into this most awesome event.
Trust me you will be glad you did!! Now lets flood Pretty Kitty with those forms (Legit forms)
WOOF!!   Howling dog

Great Challenge HD! However, please don't do what happened in the current Euro Gathering, where 60 some fighters registered and only 45 showed. This is a reflection of your characture. If you are on the fence, register and do a knife fight, you will find the courage later to do a stick fight. But don't register just to see your name on the "marquee", then bail. Many "newbees" are looking for like-minded individuals to share in the first time experience. Others, like the current Dogs, C-Dog, and Full Dogs are reserving 1 dance to help the others through this rather "transformational" experience. I see many registered "bloggers" here on the forum, and a couple thousand on Facebook, I can't see why we couldn't have one of the largest attended Gatherings ever. So... put on a fresh pair of panties, hike up your trousers, and slap on so Old Spice and man-up!
C-Mighty Dog      small dog...Big Balls

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
As a "cherry" fighter it seems to me that part of the learning/growing/finding the truth is the time leading up to the event.  I will be honest I have woken up every morning with butterflies in my stomach and every time I leave the gym I wonder if I did enough compared to the folks I will be stepping out with.

I am already learning about myself- I will consider getting up there and stepping onto the mat a small victory in itself.

The other night I was showing a few of the DBMA videos to my fiance when she noticed me kind of fidgeting on the couch.  She said are you okay?  I said "they call it chatter". LOL

CHEERS
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

Mongolian Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »
I'm planning to attend this year and figure it can't hurt to set up some fights in advance.  That's what I did the first time -- but just showed up and played it by ear last year.  Seems like a mixture is standard, so if anyone wants to pre-arrange, let me know.  I'm open to possibilities, mainly considering combinations of:

+ single stick
+ staff
+ knife / no-knife
+ grappling / no-grappling

In other words, a prearranged stick-with-grappling-but-no-knife would work -- as would other combinations of those parameters.  I'm also vaguely open to the idea of a mismatched/asymmetrical fight -- like staff vs stick.  Or even maybe stick vs no-stick or knife.  However, that's only a tentative idea, and I'm not sure how productive it would be given my experience level.  Maybe next year.  Likewise, I'm open to fighting those with or without experience, but I won't claim any refined ability to break a newbie in -- being only a tad more than a newbie myself.

- ck

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2011, 05:08:47 PM »
A Shared Reflection of a newbee.

Up until my first Gathering, I had trained for nearly 35 years in the Martial Arts. I had fought in Kickboxing and Full Contact Karate for many of those years. Was this enough training? Well, Kickboxing, Full Contact Karate, and dare I say... MMA, although considered "fighting" is really high intensity sparring. Ask any Boxer what happens if he goes ALL OUT in the first round to get the knock-out, he will quickly burn-out. There is a pacing required to last the necessary rounds,  not to mention weight classes and rules.

I had trained 1 full year with the famed NoHo Clan before attempting to fight. Much was needed to learn regarding the weapon and how to use it, along with the footwork necessary in the full adrenal state. As, I WATCHED my first Gathering, which was a Tribal, I was amazed, and frightened at the same time. I had pushed Pappy Dog to let me fight in the Tribal, but after consulting with Crafty Dog, they thought it best that I attended an Open Gathering before stepping forward with the Dog Brothers. This was a wise decision, as I grew so much in the coming month in regards to skill.

As the weeks approached before my first Open Gathering, I started to train as I did when I previously competed..lots of road work, 15 miles a week, stairs, and swinging a stick. Then for the frightening part, sparring with bare sticks. They were the pencil thin type that was "whippy" and would cut into you when struck. These hurt ALOT! I remember thinking..what can I wear underneath my shorts in regards to padding that no one would know..the football padded spandex shorts? How could I protect in fingers from getting injured and/or broken...can I put plastic inside my gloves?  

How many layers of shirts can I wear to absorb the impact without looking like the kid on "Christmas Story"? Panic and concern hit me. What I realized was that I was NOT going in to Spar but rather a Scrap..a Fight. I had 2 minutes to hit the guy as hard as I could and put him down before he did the same to me.

The night before the Gathering, my heart raced as I visualized the fights...this was NOT good for the rest that I needed.  I showed up early to help with setup. I was trying to calm my nerves. Had I trained enough? Will I fight and represent NOHO well? Will I get knocked out? I ended the day with 2 knife fights and 2 stick fights...I was Transformed. I didn't require to be dressed up like a Hockey player, I didn't need "special" protection. I just needed the balls to do it. What I've learn AFTER that was how to relax and enjoy the experience. Once I was able to do that, the years of previous training became easier for me to access, as I was no longer in the "reactive" state of mind.

During dinner one night at Dog Brothers camp, a guy asked about injuries and how we rebound from them and why we fight. Crafty turned towards me and said "ask Toki, he is healing from an injury, he Never turns down a fight and will fight men a foot taller and 100 lbs heavier..ask him why he fights". As I started to explain and somewhat intellectually ramble..what I should have said is that ..I couldn't imagine the pain of simply watching my fellow Dog Brothers fight without me. I think that pain is deeper then any physical pain that I endure. It is also the motivation to heal for the next Gathering.

Woof!!! See you on the mat! C-"Mighty Dog"
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:17:16 PM by C-Mighty Dog »

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2011, 08:18:34 PM »
"During dinner one night at Dog Brothers camp, a guy asked about injuries and how we rebound from them and why we fight. Crafty turned towards me and said "ask Toki, he is healing from an injury, he Never turns down a fight and will fight men a foot taller and 100 lbs heavier..ask him why he fights". As I started to explain and somewhat intellectually ramble..what I should have said is that ..I couldn't imagine the pain of simply watching my fellow Dog Brothers fight without me. I think that pain is deeper then any physical pain that I endure. It is also the motivation to heal for the next Gathering.

Woof!!!"

C-Mighty Dog, your explanation about your motivation was amongst my favorite memories of the Training Camp.  I thought you discussed the sense of remaing true to self and to your fellow warriors in a way that really connected with me, and I suspect many others who sat at the table with you.

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
To name a thing is to give it power...
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2011, 01:13:32 AM »
Advice that I would give cherries.

Whilst it's important that we understand the psychological aspects of our pre-fight experience, it's important that we don't direct our energies in the wrong direction.

When you give something a name ('The Chatter') you give it a kind of coporeal power over you, but also by naming it, you CAN gain a power over it.  The level of pre-fight chatter you experience depends on many things, most importantly where your 'pre-set adrenalinekick in level' is.

How to combat chatter.  Firstly, don't give it power over you!  Accept it as a necessary and vital part of your existance.  I'm fortunate in that for all my athletic flaws, I'm very good at visualisation.  Find some quiet alone time and let the idea of your fight wash over your mind, identify the aspects that concern you the most, then work on these.  Preparation, be physically fit, and with regards to technical skill I find having a small toolbox but knowing each tool intimately is better than having the worlds largest collection of technique.  Put the time into figuring out how a strike you're good at works against a stalker, a runner, a speed merchant.

Also, if you're in a training group, a Gathering shouldn't, IMHO, be the first place you have a fight.  Of the UK clans, nobody who is a decendant of the 'Yoda Clan' will go to a Gathering a total cherry, it just doesn't happen.  The effect of fighting in front of a crowd (spectators/other fighters) should not be ignored.  Going to a quiet park/squash court with limited spectators should be on your pre-fight agenda (but make sure it's more than 6 weeks before the Gathering!).

I see many who convince themselves that they should have chatter and develop an even worse case of it than they would have otherwise done.  Chill, relax, have faith in your training and faith in the Pack.  Choose an experienced fighter for your first fight.  Accept that they WILL push you and hurt you, but they will (most likely ;) ) NOT break you.

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2011, 02:54:35 AM »
C-Mighty Dog, your explanation about your motivation was amongst my favorite memories of the Training Camp.  I thought you discussed the sense of remaing true to self and to your fellow warriors in a way that really connected with me, and I suspect many others who sat at the table with you.
[/quote]

Thanks Tobias,

I often don't give unsolicited advice, I usually just share my experience. As I don't know how the information will be perceived. I am glad that my comments were of value to you and others who might be intimidated from the upcoming event. You and people like you, who are involved in the Dog Brothers through the discussion page, seminars and Facebook will get to know and FULLY understand to transformation that happens to oneself and the connection and friendship that you develop through this "unique" fight experience. It is easy to get thrust into the excitement by watching the videos of the "smash and pound" that happens during the fight. It's what happens after that you carry with you... the respect for yourself and most importantly the friendship with the other fighter. I am glad that you will get to complete this relationship fully with the Dog Brothers. I don't believe that Crafty Dog knew exactly what was going to happen to people and how it would change them we He, Top, and Salty started this more then 20 years ago other than scare the neighbors  :-D. It is rather a unique platform for growth.

Woof!!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:21:10 PM by C-Mighty Dog »

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2011, 05:11:46 PM »
Great write-up C-Mighty Dog!  Thanks for putting it out there- this event is exactly what I have been looking for (it seems) so insight is not just greatly appreciated but INVALUABLE.

I should have done this years ago, especially after I saw the Nat Geo thing a few years ago.

As for the Chatter- Thanks for the input Point Dog.  I have experienced it in things from athletics to law enforcement but neither of those had me fidgeting 4 weeks from anything.  I view "chatter" as a good thing generally (at least based on my previous experiences).  It feels like my body just doing a systems check before I am about to be tested or enter a dangerous scenario.

cheers
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Wild Dog
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »
"In the silence of a stick buzzing by your head, you decide just which self it is you truly wish to defend."  Wild Dog

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2011, 10:05:55 AM »
Woof, Can anyone recommend a decent hotel near Gokor's gym?
          HD
Howling Dog

Hello Kitty

« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2011, 02:51:08 PM »
I live here and if you have a rental car, and "decent" is to mean something semi pricey, try searching for hotels in Warner Center (a small city subsection about 10 miles away). The Marriott there is very nice, but pricey. If you want something right down the street, they have a Best Western not far away, but it is somewhat run down. I'd be glad to drive around and see what I see.

theskirt

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2011, 10:35:27 PM »

I had trained 1 full year with the famed NoHo Clan before attempting to fight. Much was needed to learn regarding the weapon and how to use it, along with the footwork necessary in the full adrenal state. As, I WATCHED my first Gathering, which was a Tribal, I was amazed, and frightened at the same time. I had pushed Pappy Dog to let me fight in the Tribal, but after consulting with Crafty Dog, they thought it best that I attended an Open Gathering before stepping forward with the Dog Brothers. This was a wise decision, as I grew so much in the coming month in regards to skill.

Sooooo....if YOU needed a full year before being ready for the Gathering, I might have to wait until I am hundred years old before I would be ready.   :roll:

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2011, 01:04:49 AM »
Guide Dog's REAL Advice (I had posted a sarcastic list of ideas in this thread as a goof) to New Fighters:

1. Send in your liability wavier.
2. (MOST IMPORTANT) Show up about an hour or so early to the Gathering. The showing up part is so very important. As a full DB with two little kids, last public Gathering we had a strep throat scare in my house, and last Tribal Gathering, my son brought home a nice stomach flu that got me, my daughter, and my wife. I've been out for a year, and am actually coming off Gathering withdrawal. When Guro Crafty uses that Woody Allen quote that 90% of life is showing up, it actually turns out to be true.
3. Do NOT do the solitary, sullen act. Most of the people I have met in DBMA, whether tribe member or not, have actually been really nice people. Most of the folks I have met at the Gatherings have had really great senses of humor, and that is very important. Don't take yourself, or fighting with sticks, too seriously. Do give it your all without reducing anyone's IQ, but try to have fun. Brand new fighters might not have ANY idea what I am writing about, but you will.
4. Take a knife fight and consider it your warm-up. When you finish and get back to the waiting area, do not dwell in any kind of result from that fight. If you "killed' you opponent in simulation, great. If you "died", whatev's. We all have holes in our games that we are always working on.
5. Take a single stick fight with either a fighter that has some experience, or a newbie who seems to be of a like mind. What I mean by that is an experienced fighter can work with you and whatever level is manifesting when you step out. By having a conversation with another newbie, you can gauge what sort of a mental state he/she is in. As long as you both share an understanding of what the fight should look like, I think you will be okay. I am not suggesting that you plan for a "pillow fight", but if your prospective opponent/partner is talking about the "nobility that comes with surviving a coma", you should politely suggest that your partner is at another level and would best be served by finding someone else. Experienced fighters should be able to say something to put you slightly at ease, and newbies of a like mind should be able to reflect your apprehension in a manner that allows you both to honor what you are feeling and get on with it. (Slight addendum for this point) - as far as sticks go, have your first fight with whatever is your MOST natural weapons configuration. Most prefer single stick, but if you are a siniwali fighter/stick and dagger fighter/staff fighter, go with whatever you are the most comfortable with. The rest of what I wrote still applies, regardless of with what weapon(s) configuration you choose to fight.
6. Unless you actually sustain an injury that ends the fight (and I believe most won't), when you get back to the fighters area, slow your breathing, and immediately take/set up another stick fight. Don't out think yourself here. You're in it. You just learned what it is. You will never be in a state of not knowing again. Go out and fight again.
7. I would suggest you take as many fights as you can, and that MOST people have one more in them when they believe they are done. Once you mentally make up your mind your day is over, take off your gear, and be present. Watch the rest of the day's fights.
8. Don't worry about ascension. If you are meant to be a DB, just show up and keep fighting. It will happen eventually.
9. Enjoy your first day of fighting. You never get another one.
10. Figure out how to take back what you have learned in the adrenal state to your regular classes/training group.

In my experience with the DB's, we really are friends at the end of the day. I look forward to meeting you and hearing about your day and your journey/ transformation.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:15:22 PM by Guide Dog »
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2011, 02:37:19 AM »

Sooooo....if YOU needed a full year before being ready for the Gathering, I might have to wait until I am hundred years old before I would be ready.   :roll:
I'm not letting you off that easy. The reason that I took a whole year was...well...I'm VERY analytical and somewhat a perfectionist, and!...the timing was such where,..that's when the next one came around. Unlike you, I had trained in other style of Kali before...I had picked up on many false perceptions of "the stick" and had to re-learn many things, which...at times, is much harder then to learn it fresh. I am still working towards understanding the stick and how it relates to the way "I" move. You picked up on it well and very fast! Work out some bugs and you're ready to go! After all, your opponents(female) are not the same is mine(also, not saying that they're not skilled) and the height differential will not be as extreme. You can do this!!!!!

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2011, 02:42:09 AM »
          HD

Hey bro, you're coming in from that International flight late in the afternoon, just hook up at the nearest hotel to LAX and drive up the next day. If you crash in Hermosa Beach, you might want to call Crafty for a carpool to and from the Gathering.

See you there!

dhaywoo

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
Looking to schedule about 3-4 fights: 

1)  Doulbe stick vs Double stick *(hidden knives encourged),  no grapping rules, would enjoy keeping the fight on its feet.

2)  Single stick vs whateva (no rules)

3)  Kife fight - aluminum or shock knives.(no rules)

b4)  *** Maybe double stick  vs Staff

Well, just got home from a fun night working the Club and Im dozzzin offf while pushnig keys.

ZDC,

Kajiu Dog

As this will be my first time at a gathering, I would be honored if you still have a knife fight opening.

H.M.

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2011, 02:08:52 PM »
          HD

The area right around the gym is not the best.  And I don't recommend getting a hotel near LAX as it's a 30 minute drive at best, but if you hit traffic you could easily spend a LONG time on the freeway when you're trying to be relaxed during your pre-fight prep.

Check out any location in Burbank.  In general, it's a nicer part of town, it's only 10 mins from the gym and it has lodging due to Burbank Airport.

dhaywoo

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2011, 02:11:41 PM »
Just chiming in here.  I'd like to encourage my fellow veteran fighters ("Dog" and up) to try and get in a fight with at least one cherry fighter.  As the "veterans", I think a large part of our tribal responsibility is to bring new fighters into the fold, and to lead by example what we expect of fighters within the tribe.  I can certainly understand why many of us put in iPods to listen to music (to "find-the-zone/silence-the-chatter/cool-mystical-deep-phrase-of-choice"), but I'd like to encourage our tribe members to reach out to the newbies.  Engage them in conversation and help them get over their chatter, as it is likely MUCH louder for them.  We've "been there, done that" so to speak, and we're back, so we can help them find the same joy we find in the mutual testing.

Knowing that most of us prefer to challenge ourselves, we often overlook the newer fighters because we are looking to fight at or near the edge of our limits.  To compensate, you can always handicap yourself - a lighter stick, a 1st gen mask, lighter gloves, fighting with the complementary hand, etc. to ensure you're making things challenging.  I truly believe that if we really commit to this challenge, we will strengthen the tribe exponentially over time.  We stand only to gain.  As with the vast majority of things I post online, this is just my $.02.  Thanks for reading, and now, please bear with me as I climb down off of my soapbox...

Okay, having rambled on through that, I am looking to set up a fight or 2 here on the forum.  I've already got my staff fight with Doc set, I'd also like to set up either an espada y daga, a single stick, a double stick, and/or a knife-v-'weapon of opportunity' (rolled up magazine).  I'm going to keep most of my single sticks fights open for cherry fighters.  Yes - I know this is an ambitious line-up, but God/Fate/Nothing willing, I'll manage (fingers/toes/eyes crossed).  Any takers? Look forward to seeing y'all in September.  :-D

Aloha, Poi

Would love to have a single stick fight If you'd welcome another "cherry fighter"

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2011, 05:23:24 PM »
Howling Dog and his stray pup has nothing to worry about. Mighty Dog's Kennel is beding a few dogs this year. The tribe takes care of their own.

Woof!

Dr Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2011, 06:35:19 PM »
" In my experience with the DB's, we really are fiends at the end of the day."

Woof Guide Dog, I'm assuming this is Freudian? 
Can't wait to see everyone again - and ESPECIALLY the post fight gathering at the bar....
I've been doing martial arts in one form or another for over 25 years and have never seen post fight camaraderie like I felt after my first Open Gathering last year.  If you are planning on fighting, make sure you also allot time to make the post Gathering gathering! 

Rick

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2011, 07:17:30 PM »
Big thanks to Guide Dog for his "Real advice" post above.  I appreciate you taking the time to share that info.

James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2011, 09:17:36 PM »

Rick - Nice catch. See how a simple typo can really change the tone of an entire post? I have changed "fiends" to "friends" which is what I had intended to write.

dianhsuhe - My pleasure
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2011, 12:29:03 AM »

Woof Guide Dog, I'm assuming this is Freudian? 
Can't wait to see everyone again - and ESPECIALLY the post fight gathering at the bar....
I've been doing martial arts in one form or another for over 25 years and have never seen post fight camaraderie like I felt after my first Open Gathering last year.  If you are planning on fighting, make sure you also allot time to make the post Gathering gathering! 

Rick

Is this open to all fighters?  If I am not seeking medical attention I will be there...I can drink MUCH better than I can fight that is for sure-
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2011, 07:12:16 AM »
Yes Jamie, the after Gathering-Gathering is open to everybody and is a very important part of the bonding period in my oppinion. It allows you to "connect" in a different way with other fighters on a social level.

More then half of the fighters usually take off right after and miss this experience. Stick around, help clean up and we all coordinate where to go at that time. We also eat dinner there. I'll buy you a pint.

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2011, 11:43:04 AM »
Thanks Toki!  I will clear my schedule for the following Monday then also-
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2011, 12:17:47 PM »

If I am not seeking medical attention I will be there...I can drink MUCH better than I can fight that is for sure-
[/quote]

Thats covered too...  I always have a med kit in the car *(Its more than the average bag of tricks), and there are several DB's with medical backgrounds that Im sure will be there as well.

;)
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2011, 12:41:40 PM »

Thats covered too...  I always have a med kit in the car *(Its more than the average bag of tricks), and there are several DB's with medical backgrounds that Im sure will be there as well.

;)

Great thanks! That sure puts my mind at ease.     Wait!!!      No it doesn't! LOL

I say it is about 2:1 that I wake up around Tuesday (without a few major organs) in a bathtub full of ice somewhere near Reno.   :-o
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2011, 01:36:16 AM »
NOHO will be represented by 11 fighters..Poi Dog, Seeing Eye Dog, Tennessee Dog, Junk yard Dog,C- Ferox Dog,C- Mighty Dog, Dog Roy, Louie, HM, Joe and a sarrogote ..female Lynn. Pappy Dog and Boo Dog will be missed.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Hermosa Clan
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2011, 09:49:59 AM »
Off the top of my head for the Hermosa Clan:  Beowulf; Fu Dog; War Dog; Nathan; Alex; Katherine; Dog Chi-med, , , ,

TAC!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 01:36:51 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Mongolian Dog

• View Profile
Re: Hermosa Clan
« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2011, 12:49:05 PM »
This
Off the top of my head for the Hermosa Clan:
followed by this,
Chi-med, , , ,

was nice to see!  Looking forward to it.

-ck

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2011, 01:37:25 PM »
Bitch will not be coming  :cry:

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2011, 02:45:40 PM »
Well I am of Scottish/Irish decent so I guess I can claim "Clan Buchanan", but unfortunately the Highland Games have exactly ZERO stick-fighting involved.

So I am from Clan Cherry!  Does it make me a dork that I was excited that my name was just added to the Fighter's List?  This is getting more real every day...

James
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2011, 01:53:35 AM »
Well I am of Scottish/Irish decent so I guess I can claim "Clan Buchanan", but unfortunately the Highland Games have exactly ZERO stick-fighting involved.

Not so grasshopper ;)

A friend and old member of the Dave 'Yoda' Greens CSA (Combative Stickfighting Alliance) Louie Pastore is heavily into historical scottish martial arts.  Louie isn't a battle recreationalist but someone who's after the martial side, he has fought with the UK Clans and we consider him a friend and good resource.  Louie has managed to have some traditional scottish stickfighting demonstrated at some of the Games here in Scotland.

FYI, historically a Scottish Laird may sponsor the training of young men/boys on his land.  The boys would not be allowed to train with swords until they had proven to be proficient with the short ash stick (with buckler), which would be used to train many of the sword fighting principles.  To keep things alive and competitive ;) at local games the boys could compete with the ash stick.  No protection (with the exception of the buckler) and no grappling (wrestling was included in the training, but not the Games except as a seperate sport sans weapons).  The winner would be the first 'to draw an inch of blood from above the eyeline', basically you had to crack the guy on the top of the head hard enough to draw blood.

Louie and his guys, whilst they take recreation seriously, still wear fencing masks  :wink:

With regards to wrestling, there was Scottish back-lock wrestling who's primary position was a side on version of a seatbelt clinch, which trapped the right arm.  The idea being that during the time in history when Scots were banned from having swords by the English, the Scots trained to grapple an Englishman whilst he tried to draw his sword, pick him up and find a rock to throw him one  :-D

I haven't spoken to Louie for some time, but would love to do some demo fights at the Games!

Spartan Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Brothers Training Group - Athens, Greece
Fall Dog Brothers Open Gathering of the Pack 9/18/11
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2011, 03:53:16 AM »
Point Dog...many thanks for some interesting background info on the martial traditions of Scotland  :-)
Dog Brothers Training Group, Athens, Greece
http://www.dogbrothers.gr/

Gong Fu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »
Point Dog, thanks a lot for that history lesson...verry interesting!

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2011, 09:44:36 AM »
AH!  So there was stickfighting with the Scottish.  I should petition the Highland Games folks to have it added.  LOL

VERY interesting thanks for posting- an inch above the eyeline?  I will be happy if that is all I get next month.
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

theskirt

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2011, 10:02:12 AM »
Okay, it's done.  I've mailed off my form. 

Dr Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2011, 10:28:58 AM »

Woof - Point Dog is correct. If you google "PurpleHeart Armoury" (or Armory) they offer traditional Scottish "single stick" with either boiled leather or wicker handguards and also historical instructional manuals.

Besides, isn't a caber a REALLY big stick?

Love to see the buzz building - this is going to be a great gathering. My regular training partner Clint is jumping in - his first Open Gathering but he's done 4 gatherings here in Texas and should do well.  Really looking forward to seeing him on this stage.

Also, I know its not really part of the fighting, but I'm lokoking forward to the display of mask art that really seems to be proliferating.  Toki's started a fun trend!
Rick

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2011, 10:41:46 AM »
Attention fighters:

Please minimize wearing black.  Having two fighters clinched or grappling with both all in black makes editing a pain in the ass and viewing difficult.

Poidog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2011, 01:57:03 PM »
I would be honored.

Aloha, Poi

Would love to have a single stick fight If you'd welcome another "cherry fighter"
Who dares wins - British SAS

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2011, 03:02:53 PM »
Wondering if my skills are lacking in regard to my computer skills.  I sent my FR form via Fax a couple weeks ago.  I know Pretty Kitty has a lot on her plate.  Did mine get lost in the suffle?  Should I send it again?  Sorry to be persistant or a PIA but something about seeing your name on "THE" list makes me all tingly inside  :wink:

woof-woof KD
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2011, 04:11:48 PM »
Wondering if my skills are lacking in regard to my computer skills.  I sent my FR form via Fax a couple weeks ago.  I know Pretty Kitty has a lot on her plate.  Did mine get lost in the suffle?  Should I send it again?  Sorry to be persistant or a PIA but something about seeing your name on "THE" list makes me all tingly inside  :wink:

woof-woof KD

The same thing happened to me and Guro Crafty told me to just email her again and WHAM, I was on the list pretty quick after that.  She still had 1,000 emails or so I think. LOL

As a cherry fighter I got excited when my name hit the list but instead of "tingly" like a veteran, I just giggled like a school girl then got nervous.

James
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2011, 11:21:28 PM »
3 more weeks until the Gathering. 2 more weeks of training in the blistering heat with my NOHO brothers (today we almost passed out). 2 more weeks of running 100 yard dashes in the dark until your hamstrings can't take anymore and you want to spit blood. 2 more weeks of swinging a stick for an hour on each arm everyday. 3 more weeks..., I get to gather and see my brothers again. We will fight each other and some new fighters. Battle scars will be our trophies, and friendships will be our reward...not to mention a nice cold Beer!

3 more weeks!
I big Howl and tail wags!

C-Mighty Dog

arkangel

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2011, 07:42:04 AM »
sent my fax in about a half hour ago.

phil

Smiling Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
Hello All,

My name is Pete. Rep Chicago and DBMASP. Very excited to meet many of you and have some fun. New to this forum thing so i hope i am doing this right.

My bud Carlos and I are looking to do a 2 on 2 knife fight. Any takers?

Mostly looking at single stick fights for myself, maybe a DBL stick - no rules (as i have seen posted before... assuming this means ground and hidden knife?)

Would like to get in as many fights as i can 3-5, is this realistic?

I am humbly open to a challenge/ ass kickin, you only live once! Just look for the dude in the  :-) mask
6'4  225lbs
My wife said if i get hurt not to come home..... so I'm cool with that! Ha
WOOF!

jcordova

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2011, 10:27:06 AM »
Just want to say that I'm excited to be there at the gathering for the second time.  Imso motivated :-D :-D :-D :-D