Author Topic: DBMA in the Philippines  (Read 7444 times)

mandirigmang kali

• View Profile
DBMA in the Philippines
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:43:15 AM »
Hi All,

Good day!

I'm yas from the Philippines, I'm new to this forum and I would like to ask Guro Crafty if there is a possibility that DBMA will hold an open tournament here in PH? I know that there are a lot of arnis/escrima/kali tournaments here in PH but nowadays we don't spar with live sticks anymore  :? (as far as i know) and I think it will be interesting because I know that there are a lot of styles that have migrated/founded in the US and there are numerous styles here in our homeland which I think have yet to prove their worth. So if there is a possibility of making the gathering come true, I think both parties will greatly benefit from the exchange as we have done a long long time ago (since 1898)! :wink:

with utmost respect,

Mandirigmang Kali

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
  • I might be small.....but, I'm not little
    • View Profile
Re: DBMA in the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:27:06 AM »
Wow! For your first request, you couldn't have started off "smaller scale" like...A good pair of sticks...Some DBMA shorts... or even a Secret technique? :)
I don't think that "Holding" a tournament is an issue at all, it's getting the participants. This is a challenge here too, when it comes to Whole schools or Styles.  What usually happens is a few individuals decide on their own to "give it a go". They either love it or hate it. Those who embrace to experience usually decide to start their own little training groups with "like-minded" individuals, since they can't get their school or teacher to subscribe to the benefit.
Can you imagine what would happen if several "whole" schools participated in a Bare-Stick tournament? The result would be chaos afterwords...like a bad Kung fu movie between rival schools. Credability, trust, revenue...lost.
It is no different from any another Combat system that relies on it's image to move fourth,...it's easier to stay within the safety and security of the training structures then to actually prove it on the mat, ring, circle or street. This is no different then in the 80's when Several Karate teachers became kickboxers to prove their skill,...everybody else watched. Think about it, it the land where stick and knife fighting came from....no bare stick tournment, even after 20+ years of Crafty Dog holding his,...there is a reason for this.

C-Mighty Dog
C-Mighty Dog      small dog...Big Balls

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 07:57:49 AM »
Also, to add to C-Mighty's good points, in the 20+ years that the Dog Brothers Gatherings have been taking place they have only been held in two places.  Those being LA ("Where It All Began!") and in Bern, Switzerland, where Tribal Elder Guro Lonely Dog lives.  And only when it became apparent that there was enough of a following 'in the spirit' in continental Europe to support annual Gatherings.

20+ years and only two locations, quite telling that.  :wink:

Also, we don't like the term 'tournament' or competition, as they imply winners and losers.  At the Gathering we should ALL be winners, so long as we are there in the correct spirit.

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
  • I might be small.....but, I'm not little
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 08:11:31 AM »
You're Absolutely correct Point Dog on the Winners and Losers (tournament terminology). You probably already know that I used "tournament" for our new guy, as he probably didn't know what a Gathering was,...otherwise HE would have used it. Have some great fights next week! :lol:
C-Mighty Dog      small dog...Big Balls

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
You're Absolutely correct Point Dog on the Winners and Losers (tournament terminology). You probably already know that I used "tournament" for our new guy, as he probably didn't know what a Gathering was,...otherwise HE would have used it. Have some great fights next week! :lol:

Hey, I took that as read  :-)  Mostly I just wanted to point out the idea to the OP.

mandirigmang kali

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 04:49:47 AM »

Hi All,

First, I apologize for the term tournament, I'll be careful with the terms that I'll be using next time. Secondly its not that bare sticking stick fighting didn't exist(I think the last episode that Fight Quest did here in PH they did bare stick fighting) I know some masters who competed with bare sticks and even bolos before but those days are gone now. I guess having a "Gathering" here in PH could somehow rekindle that old spirit  :-)! I know its going to be hard getting the whole school to participate but given that DBMA has a fairly large fan base here in PH, having a "Gathering" will help propagate the love for FMA.

with utmost respect (lubos na gumagalang)

mandirigmang kali

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 08:26:55 AM »
Woof MK:

Delighted to have you here and thank you for your question.  I am off for the gym on my last day in town before a one week trip, so it is a busy day for me but I will try later to flesh out what has already been said by other posters.

Crafty Dog

mandirigmang kali

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 08:30:23 AM »
Thanks sir...I'll be waiting for your reply!  :-)