Dog Brothers Public Forum
Return To Homepage
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 05:13:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the Dog Brothers Public Forum.
82993 Posts in 2257 Topics by 1067 Members
Latest Member: Shinobi Dog
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Dog Brothers Public Forum
|-+  Politics, Religion, Science, Culture and Humanities
| |-+  Science, Culture, & Humanities
| | |-+  The Destruction of America by Hollywood et al
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Destruction of America by Hollywood et al  (Read 5377 times)
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« on: July 17, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »

Woof All:

As many of us have commented, Hollywood (and related entertainment folks) have been a source of unremitting hostility to America and as a result of much anti-Americanism. Much of what the world thinks it knows about America it gets from Hollywood.

I enjoyed the Bourne movies, but isn't the plot line (the evil CIA run amuck) one we have seen time and time again (e.g. Robert Redford's  , , , Day of the Condor I think it was).  Evil businessmen, evil right wing politicians, warmongering soldiers, patriotic kooks and Christian nutjobs (often protrayed as latently gay) etc etc. The heroes are those who turn upon that from which they come.  Leftists are heroes of the oppressed (endless list) yet never is told a story based around the evils of Stalinism, the oppression of East Europe by the Soviet Empire etc etc.

There is also the matter of values portrayed positively, adultery as a joke, promiscuity and the debasement of sex, binge drinking, romanticization of criminals, etc etc.

I could go on, but I think most of us here already recognize what I am getting at.

So this thread is a chance to vent (and perhaps strategize) about particularly egregious examples.

Recent ones that come to mind for me are

a) Sex and the City 2:  One of the most offensive, ugly American culturally arrogant movies I have ever seen.

b) and the proximate cause of my starting this thread, the movie "Machete", a genuinely seditious work.  Staring Danny Trejo, who has brought a certain intensity to a variety of minor roles over the years, the movie's style is a sort of gloriously bad "B Movie" of the sort which most of us enjoy.  What offended me though was its seditious message of disloyalty to American sovereignty.  I am not going to deconstruct the movie's plot such as it is (right wing politician, murderous minuteman border patrol groups, Mexican narcos conspiring to create circumstances so there will be demand to build a big electric fences the length of the border so money can be made on the construction contracts and drug scarcity can be created so as to increase profits) but the movie's grand finale, including US ICE Agent going to a higher law and forming violent alliance with a illegal alien network to obliterate the border.

The following actors who participated in this movie should be ashamed and their patriotism questioned.

Danny Trejo
Robert DeNiro
Jessica Alba (breaks my heart to say this because I think she is hot)
Steven Seagal
Jeff Fahey
Cheech Marin (hard to be mad, I love his Cheech and Chong character, but this movie is of a piece with his Born in East LA, which also concludes with overwhelming the border with illegals)
Don Johnson
and Lindsay Lohan

Grrrr,
Marc
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »

Underlining my point and my anger is this:

http://michellemalkin.com/2006/08/28/hoisting-the-mexican-flag-at-a-us-post-office/
http://michellemalkin.com/2006/03/29/the-american-flag-comes-second/

Hat tip to GM.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:41:12 AM by Crafty_Dog » Logged
JDN
Power User

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 10:36:54 PM »

I'm all for "Hat tips", but what does this have to do with the "The Destruction of America by Hollywood" Huh

Following up on your previous comment, I have not seen Machete (no interest) so I have no comment.

As for Sex and the City II, a rather benign boring movie, women liked it or I should say liked Sex and the City I, therefore the sequel was popular, albeit very light entertainment.
Easily forgettable.  It has been quite a while since I have seen it, but what in the world did you find so offensive that you would post "One of the most offensive, ugly American culturally arrogant movies I have ever seen."?
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 10:44:07 AM »

a) re Hat Tips-- these URLs are real world examples of what Machete calls for.

b) re "Sex and the City 2", I don't mean this sarcastically at all but rather in complete sincerity, as Louie Armstrong answered when asked to define jazz "If you have to ask, I don't know how to tell you."
JDN
Power User

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 11:01:24 AM »

Me thinks you make too much of Sex and the City II.  A light, inane comedy, period, don't read more into it than was there,
but it was the second highest grossing comedy in 2010.  The key word to remember is "comedy". 
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:06:16 AM »

I get that, but the theme of this thread includes the destruction of America's reputation and the stiumulation of anti-American feelings in the world. 

Anyway, I simply speak of my visceral reaction to the movie.
G M
Power User

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 02:26:11 PM »

I get that, but the theme of this thread includes the destruction of America's reputation and the stiumulation of anti-American feelings in the world. 

Anyway, I simply speak of my visceral reaction to the movie.

I'm pretty sure this is the only way I could be forced to watch any "Sex and the City" movie. BTW, at some point, didn't it become more correct to call it "Golden Girls: NY"?
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 02:27:08 AM »

While I do not agree with all of the examples given, the general gist of the piece makes sense to me:

http://www.mercatornet.com/articles/view/two_cheers_for_hollywood
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: