Author Topic: DBMA 2012 Summer Camp  (Read 58625 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DBMA 2012 Summer Camp
« on: November 29, 2011, 04:43:23 PM »
Woof All:

As discussed in a thread nearby The DBMA 2012 Winter Camp will be held in February.  It is a a DLO Intensive in Knife and Anti-knife.  The Guest Instructor is GM Art Gonzalez of Tenio Decuerdas Eskrima.

The DBMA 2012 Summer Camp will also be a DLO Instensive in CQB.  The Guest Instructor will be Frankie McCrae of Raidon Tactics.

Frank McRae is the former head of the US Army Special Forces Advanced Reconnaissance Target Analysis and Exploitation Techniques Course (SFARTAETC) at Ft. Bragg N.C. He started his military career in the 1st Ranger Bn as an 11B infantryman. He served in the 1st Special Forces Group (ABN) Okinawa Japan, in Cco 1st Bn. 1st SFG(A) (C-1-1) where he was an assault team leader for F team,Troop 1 in the Combatant Commanders In-extremis Force (CIF) conducting operations in Operation Enduring Freedom. Advising, training and standing up the Light Reaction Company of the Armed Forces of the Phillipines (AFP). He was then assigned as an Instructor to the SFARTAETC at the Special Warfare Center and School in Ft. Bragg NC, was promoted and became the NCOIC of the course and awarded for having the highest graduation rate for the course in it's twenty year history . He also served as a Troop SGM Troop 1 and Team SGT ODA-354 in B co 2nd Bn 3rd SFG(A) CIF in IRAQ as an Iraqi Counter-Terrorism Force (ICTF) Company SGM advisor and combat leader on many missions in Iraq and also attended the Israeli Counter-Terrorism Course as an exchange instructor.

Frankie and I are still workiing out the dates, but the basic idea is that there will be a two day block of material for those who can come only for a weekend, with additional days for those who want to go deeper. 

I have been around some very impressive people over the years.  Frankie is going to blow your minds.  I am deeply honored that we will be working together.

The Adventure continues!
Guro Crafty/Marc

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: DBMA 2012 Summer Camp
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:23:21 PM »
Frankie and I continued planning today.  It looks like the starting date will be July 14. 

The concept is really growing and evolving in exciting ways.

Smiling Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:52:23 AM »
Sounds like a good time. What is CQB??? Close Quarters.......

Vector_Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 11:53:39 AM »
Sounds like a lot of 'red gun' work.   :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 02:33:49 PM »
With the Winter Camp coming up this weekend my focus is there.  More here next week.

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 06:56:21 PM »
Guro, are there more details (firm dates; location; cost)? 

With the Winter Camp coming up this weekend my focus is there.  More here next week.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 04:30:53 AM »
Sounds like a good time. What is CQB??? Close Quarters.......

Battle.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 07:36:53 AM »
Frankie and I are in the process of choosing the exact dates right now.

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 09:09:45 AM »
Thank you.  I am going to try to get there.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 05:33:16 PM »
Just spoke with Frankie.

The dates for the Camp are July 13-15 with an additional two days for those who can stay (7/16-17)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: DBMA 2012 Summer Camp: The Crafty Stance
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 05:40:31 PM »
OK folks:

This is the thread of record.  If you can post only on our FB page, do so and I will bring it over here. (Of course you and also register to post here too-- just fill in the registration AND THEN ANSWER THE EMAIL THAT COMES TO YOU FROM US)

What would you like to see Frankie teach?

PS:  I should mention the following:

Marc:

I wanted to let you know that since we have started working together I have learned a tremendous amount. More so with the adaptation of your fighting stance and the flexibility it offers for my Gunfighter series. I have found that it allows for a more mobile base to a more reflexive stance that keeps the shooter from becoming too lazy and moving into a Weaver stance.  Indeed, I think it no less an innovation than the Weaver stance and no less deserving of its own name and hereby propose “the Crafty Dog Stance”.  

Why?

You know how I feel about a restrictive position. The Crafty Dog gives a more powerful position to the shooter to start from  and makes movement easier. It is better for recoil management in a rapid shooting engagement and allows smaller shooters and women to shoot bigger handguns without all the shoulder involvement. It allows for better follow thru and for sure makes recovery easier for faster shooting and quicker target engagement for follow on shots. I just taught a three day Gunfighter course and some of the students had attended a previous course. They loved the new addition and thought it was better adapted to shooting as well. One student said it was more comfortable for him to use the Crafty Dog than a regular Isosceles because it put less stress on his lower back with all the kit on. Anything that helps our backs with 60lbs of body armor and kit  has got to be better than the normal. I wanted to thank you again for the mentoring and the new techniques you have taught me. I hope one day to be able to reciprocate as much.

Signed,
Frankie Mcrae

www.Raidon Tactics
----------

As you can see, the gunfighting you will be learning will be structurally consistent with what you have seen already in our DLO material.  With what we call "Consistency across categories", in the split second demands of CQB, your responses will be faster and you will , , , die less often.

TAC!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 10:52:50 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 08:43:13 PM »
Eric Taimanglo Are there requisites for this camp in the way of previous firearms experience? In what context will the training take shape (i.e. TEOTWAWKI scenario, home defense)? Logistics: will airsoft equipment be provided, or will participants have to bring their own? Will firearms be available for those who do not/cannot bring their own? What about ammo?

fmcrae

• View Profile
    • Raidon Tactics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 03:01:45 PM »
OK, I have a log in name and password now. I am not a big blogger or as eloquent(is that spelled right) as Marc is. But basically Marc and I are looking at a few days of training that will allow the most people access to the training in the safest manner possible. I know that when you guys fight it is full on. well, in a gunfight it is instant death, so we are using airsoft as a training tool for a majority of the training. However there will be some live fire training the last day or two. I will need to get up to date on the state laws you guys have in CA. Here in NC we can own machine guns and all other types of firearms with out any restriction to capacity. So once I figure out what I can bring(lawfully), I should be able to provide some handguns for training. ammo is expensive and in our classes it is not uncommon to shoot 750 rounds in an afternoon. With every round being shot with a purpose. So i will develop a curriculum that will limit the amount of rounds to the bare minimum and still get the maximum amount of training. I still have to discuss a few things with Marc about providing airsoft. I know CA has a huge Airsoft market because you cant own guns with out the law getting in your face. I can however provide handguns and rifles for approximately ten students, But, at no time will a student be able to participate with out proper eye protection. I don't care what you wear on your body but your eyes must be protected on all sides! so basically here is what we are looking at covering on the grand scheme of things ( these are introductory versions of our DOD courses of Instruction)( course descriptions are below)
13 July- Intro Tactical Combat casualty Care
14 July- In car anti-hijacking skills (part of our advanced concealed carry course)
15 July- Close Quarters Battle Skills
16 July- Close Quarters Battle Skills
17 July- Tactical Handgun Class (part of our Gunfighter Series)

2 Day intro to Close Quarters Battle
This course introduces the principles and fundamentals of Close Quarters Battle. It is the perfect training for support personnel that are attached to Special Forces ODA’s and NSW SEAL Task Units.  It begins with two-man room clearing and progresses to multi team multi-room CQB. To attend this course the student is required to attend a three-day marksmanship course first.  Hallways and Stairwells are NOT covered in this course. This course is specifically geared for the support personnel of a USSOCOM unit. This course begins as a simmunitions/air-soft course and evolves to live –fire maneuver. Unit risk assessments will need to be completed before training starts and all Individual Combat Gear will be used.

1 Day Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) TSE-NRBL-100
TCCC is quickly becoming the standard of care for the tactical management of combat casualties within the Department of Defense and is the sole standard of care dually endorsed by both the American College of Surgeons and the National Association of EMT’s for casualty management in tactical environments.
TCCC is built around three definitive phases of casualty care:
Care Under Fire:
Care rendered at the scene of the injury while both the medic and the casualty are under hostile fire. Available medical equipment is limited to that carried by each operator and the medic.

Tactical Field Care:
Rendered once the casualty is no longer under hostile fire. Medical equipment is still limited to that carried into the field by mission personnel. Time prior to evacuation may range from a few minutes to many hours.

Tactical Evacuation Care (TACEVAC):
Rendered while the casualty is evacuated to a higher echelon of care. Any additional personnel and medical equipment pre-staged in these assets will be available during this phase.

This one-day course covers the Care under fire and Tactical Field care phases for soldiers that are isolated or in small units away from medical assistance, using small bags that have minimal equipment. The Warfighter will learn these techniques in a classroom setting and then apply the techniques in a combat simulated field setting on moulaged patients.

Three Day Gunfighter Course TSE-NRBL-400   
This course develops a solid gunfighter mentality and skill set needed for integrating both primary and secondary weapons systems with focus on the tactical urban gunfight. The student will exercise these skills in a variety of stressful shooting situations from daylight to nighttime shooting. The student will quickly gain experience, confidence and increase their skill level with the handgun and carbine.  A comprehensive Combat Tactical Skills evaluation is given and measured results are stress induced.

Skills  Taught
Weapons assembly/disassembly and maintenance 
Weapons loading/unloading
Fundamentals of Combat Marksmanship (CMMS)
CMMS principals
Bore/sight relationship
Immediate action for malfunctions
Tactical and Speed reloads
Integrated weapon transition   
Trigger manipulation drills
Recoil management drills
Slow aimed fire
Rapid aimed fire
Single target engagement
Multiple target engagement
Use of cover and concealment
Night fire using tactical lights
Barricade shooting
Shooting and moving
Shooting while moving
Combat Tactical Skills Evaluations
Timed Shooting Stress Evaluations

Course Requirements
   Individual issued weapons
   Usual individual tactical gear to include holster and ammo pouches
   Unit required personal protective equipment
   Unit required uniform
   1000rds of issued ammunition primary weapons NO GREEN TIP AMMO
   1000rds of issue ammunition secondary weapon
Course  Goals
Dramatic increase in shooting ability from start to finish of course
Complete understanding of fundamentals of CMMS
Understanding of weapons integration
Understanding of methods of engagement

Frankie McRae
Director of Training
Raidon Tactics Inc.
www.raidontactics.com

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 06:41:44 PM »
Sounds awesome!!!

ammoman.com is a good place to buy ammo in bulk for the class.

OK, I have a log in name and password now. I am not a big blogger or as eloquent(is that spelled right) as Marc is. But basically Marc and I are looking at a few days of training that will allow the most people access to the training in the safest manner possible. I know that when you guys fight it is full on. well, in a gunfight it is instant death, so we are using airsoft as a training tool for a majority of the training. However there will be some live fire training the last day or two. I will need to get up to date on the state laws you guys have in CA. Here in NC we can own machine guns and all other types of firearms with out any restriction to capacity. So once I figure out what I can bring(lawfully), I should be able to provide some handguns for training. ammo is expensive and in our classes it is not uncommon to shoot 750 rounds in an afternoon. With every round being shot with a purpose. So i will develop a curriculum that will limit the amount of rounds to the bare minimum and still get the maximum amount of training. I still have to discuss a few things with Marc about providing airsoft. I know CA has a huge Airsoft market because you cant own guns with out the law getting in your face. I can however provide handguns and rifles for approximately ten students, But, at no time will a student be able to participate with out proper eye protection. I don't care what you wear on your body but your eyes must be protected on all sides! so basically here is what we are looking at covering on the grand scheme of things ( these are introductory versions of our DOD courses of Instruction)( course descriptions are below)
13 July- Intro Tactical Combat casualty Care
14 July- In car anti-hijacking skills (part of our advanced concealed carry course)
15 July- Close Quarters Battle Skills
16 July- Close Quarters Battle Skills
17 July- Tactical Handgun Class (part of our Gunfighter Series)

2 Day intro to Close Quarters Battle
This course introduces the principles and fundamentals of Close Quarters Battle. It is the perfect training for support personnel that are attached to Special Forces ODA’s and NSW SEAL Task Units.  It begins with two-man room clearing and progresses to multi team multi-room CQB. To attend this course the student is required to attend a three-day marksmanship course first.  Hallways and Stairwells are NOT covered in this course. This course is specifically geared for the support personnel of a USSOCOM unit. This course begins as a simmunitions/air-soft course and evolves to live –fire maneuver. Unit risk assessments will need to be completed before training starts and all Individual Combat Gear will be used.

1 Day Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) TSE-NRBL-100
TCCC is quickly becoming the standard of care for the tactical management of combat casualties within the Department of Defense and is the sole standard of care dually endorsed by both the American College of Surgeons and the National Association of EMT’s for casualty management in tactical environments.
Care Under Fire:
Care rendered at the scene of the injury while both the medic and the casualty are under hostile fire. Available medical equipment is limited to that carried by each operator and the medic.

Tactical Field Care:
Rendered once the casualty is no longer under hostile fire. Medical equipment is still limited to that carried into the field by mission personnel. Time prior to evacuation may range from a few minutes to many hours.

Rendered while the casualty is evacuated to a higher echelon of care. Any additional personnel and medical equipment pre-staged in these assets will be available during this phase.

This one-day course covers the Care under fire and Tactical Field care phases for soldiers that are isolated or in small units away from medical assistance, using small bags that have minimal equipment. The Warfighter will learn these techniques in a classroom setting and then apply the techniques in a combat simulated field setting on moulaged patients.

Three Day Gunfighter Course TSE-NRBL-400   
This course develops a solid gunfighter mentality and skill set needed for integrating both primary and secondary weapons systems with focus on the tactical urban gunfight. The student will exercise these skills in a variety of stressful shooting situations from daylight to nighttime shooting. The student will quickly gain experience, confidence and increase their skill level with the handgun and carbine.  A comprehensive Combat Tactical Skills evaluation is given and measured results are stress induced.

Skills  Taught
Weapons assembly/disassembly and maintenance 
Weapons loading/unloading
Fundamentals of Combat Marksmanship (CMMS)
CMMS principals
Bore/sight relationship
Immediate action for malfunctions
Tactical and Speed reloads
Integrated weapon transition   
Trigger manipulation drills
Recoil management drills
Slow aimed fire
Rapid aimed fire
Single target engagement
Multiple target engagement
Use of cover and concealment
Night fire using tactical lights
Barricade shooting
Shooting and moving
Shooting while moving
Combat Tactical Skills Evaluations
Timed Shooting Stress Evaluations

Course Requirements
   Individual issued weapons
   Usual individual tactical gear to include holster and ammo pouches
   Unit required personal protective equipment
   Unit required uniform
   1000rds of issued ammunition primary weapons NO GREEN TIP AMMO
   1000rds of issue ammunition secondary weapon
Course  Goals
Dramatic increase in shooting ability from start to finish of course
Complete understanding of fundamentals of CMMS
Understanding of weapons integration
Understanding of methods of engagement

fmcrae

• View Profile
    • Raidon Tactics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 03:44:36 PM »
If people sign up for the live fire class I will be able to order enough ammo and have it drop shipped to the training site. It will not be included in the price. that will be a separate deal altogether and I can probably beat the ammoman.com's prices. but it will be a prepaid order in the name of the person who signed up for the class.
Frankie McRae
Director of Training
Raidon Tactics Inc.
www.raidontactics.com

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 08:21:09 PM »
If people sign up for the live fire class I will be able to order enough ammo and have it drop shipped to the training site. It will not be included in the price. that will be a separate deal altogether and I can probably beat the ammoman.com's prices. but it will be a prepaid order in the name of the person who signed up for the class.

Be sure to check on the People's Republic of Kalifornia's laws, as it's my understanding that ammo for non-PRK residents and PRK subjects are different and potentially a real headache.

Not my area of expertise, but I'd double check on things before moving forward.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 08:50:22 PM »
I'm not aware of ammo rules being different, but certainly we will look into that. 

In great part it is precisely because of the new-to-us variables concerning guns that we are beginning the planning process so far in advance. 

Also note, Friday-Sunday are NOT live fire.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 09:05:11 PM »
With the passage of AB 962, anybody purchasing handgun ammunition in California will have to register with the state starting on February 1, 2011. What this means to gun owners in California, and the rest of America, will have repercussions for years to come.

California consumers will have to provide their name, address, date of birth, and right thumbprint to the seller in order to complete the transaction. The seller must maintain these records for at least five years and make them available to inspection for any law enforcement official conducting an investigation where ammunition records may be relevant.

All transactions must be conducted in person, so mail order sales will be banned.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), California consumers buy about 1.2 billion rounds of ammunition annually, about 12% of the total U.S. market. While some of this is rifle ammunition, there’s some vagary in the new law which may result in rifle ammunition purchasers being included under the new law:

Where ammunition or reloaded ammunition may be used in both a rifle and a handgun, it may be sold to a person who is at least 18 years of age, but less than 21 years of age, if the vendor reasonably believes that the ammunition is being acquired for use in a rifle and not a handgun.

This reasonability test creates a gray area, and considering California’s anti-rights history, any doubts will likely side towards the seller requiring your personal information. For example, people with .22 rifles may have to register, because of all the .22 target pistols that fire the same rounds.

Bottom line: If rifle owners believe they have somehow escaped unscathed, they are only fooling themselves. Also, there is nothing stopping the legislature from revising this law to include all ammunition in the future.

Impact on ammunition availability

Cabela’s is already on record that they will discontinue California ammunition sales when AB 962 goes live. Between high demand, and the hassles created by the new law, Cabela’s has no motive to continue selling there. This drop in supply will raise prices for California consumers, but supply redistribution will benefit ammunition buyers elsewhere, possibly resulting in price decreases.

The NSSF predicts that California ammunition costs will “dramatically increase” under the new law, but they see no negative impact on prices elsewhere.

AB 962 may also result in ammunition inventory issues nationwide through next June. The NSSF says that ammunition manufacturers are already working at full capacity. As far as manufacturer’s deciding whether the last year’s increased demand is an aberration or trend, NSSF says “the jury is still out.” This means that there are no planned increases in production in the foreseeable future.

Page 2: Interviews of two of the largest online vendors, and impact of this bill on all gun owners.

Continue reading on Examiner.com California's new ammunition law: Costs and consequences - Austin gun rights | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-austin/california-s-new-ammunition-law-costs-and-consequences

fmcrae

• View Profile
    • Raidon Tactics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 06:19:21 AM »
OK THAT BEING SAID, you guys live in a communist country. what happened to the second amendment. anyway. after that educational brief I will leave the ammo situation to who ever wants to sign up for the class. We offer classes in RENO and are looking at a place in Yuma Arizona for you southern subjects of the Democratic People's Republik of Kalifornia (DPRK) so if the ammo situation is too much you can illegially enter the US thru your arizonia border and you dont have to worry the Border Patrol will be on a union break anyway.
Frankie McRae
Director of Training
Raidon Tactics Inc.
www.raidontactics.com

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 07:51:05 AM »
We/I'm not in a communist country YET....   :-)

AB 962 was struck down by the court as being "unconstitutionally vague" and therefore was never put into force.

Shoot away!    :-)

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=6086

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »
I knew there was a reason I didn't think there was an issue!

Thank you JDN.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 01:30:20 PM »
Ah, ok. Glad that worked out that way.

I live in a free state, so I don't track PRK gun laws too closely.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 04:00:26 PM »
From the DBMA Assn forum:

"DLO we talk about the interface of gun knife and empty hand; up until now, the gun in that equation involved getting to the gun against the criminal assault paradigm.  What I see here is a natural progression to the next stage, which is what to do when the gun is out, not only in context of close quarters, but also at range."

fmcrae

• View Profile
    • Raidon Tactics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 05:06:16 AM »
Yes, I agree, especially after the things we worked on here together. did you want to have that as a round robin type thing while the CQB is taking place. I would love to have the scenario drive to that situation during the practical application exercise. That would be something I think the students would have a lot of involvement in. It would show the true deficit that a gun presents in the Close Quarters situation or should I say the intimate distance. WHICH IS WHERE YOUR SKILLS ARE A TRUE LIFESAVER.
Frankie McRae
Director of Training
Raidon Tactics Inc.
www.raidontactics.com

JT

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 10:46:30 PM »
WOOF ALL!!
Just got my public forum account up and running.  :-D
 Checking into the forum.  Going to post more tomorrow in regards to the training that will be provided by Frankie. 

WOOF!

JT

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 06:01:17 AM »
Perfect timing JT.  Now that I am back from my big trip, I will be contacting Frankie this coming week.

JT

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 10:51:02 PM »
WOOF ALL!

As I know a lot of you are preparing for the upcoming Tribal, I will keep this post short and brief. 

I've been following this post since the beginning and wanted to add a few comments.  As many of you may have thoughts of attending the 2012 Dog Brothers (DB) Summer Camp, I'm sure that this will be a camp with plenty of high quality instruction and practical application.  I've spent the majority of career at Fort Bragg, North Carolina and Frankie comes from one of the most prestigious shooting courses that the military has to offer.  If any of you are wondering the benefits of receiving such training during the camp, well that will depend on your individual goals.  Training such as the Combat Casualty Care is very valuable, simply because of the skills that you learn and may one day have to administer to a family member, co-worker, or fellow martial artist.  In regards to carjacking, even though we all have hopes of not being carjacked, one of the most important things to have in our martial arts training and life is "Situational Awareness". One of the best things about military training is that if you train something, you will most likely conduct a practical exercise in order to reinforce the training taught.  This falls directly in line with the DB saying " If you see if taught, you see it fought".  I believe that I got that correct, Guro Crafty (GC) if I miss quoted that, please forgive me... :oops:

From reviewing the post, I believe that Frankie will be offering a Close Quarters Battle (CQB) class as well as a handgun class.  Training in CQB is a very unique experience, whether your active military or civilian.  Not only will it teach you attributes for CQB, but it will assist with communication, depending on your buddy next to you, and target discrimination...just to name a few.  Bottom line up front, your putting bullets down range and it feels great!! :-D   Frankie mentioned in one of his post about intimate distance in CQB, this proves to be critical in CQB encounters.  Being able to react in close quarters such as pistol and hand-to-hand range is more frequent for military personnel in the combat zone.  Home invasion and things of such are really of little difference.  Although I know each state carries different laws for defending house and family, being able to properly load, fire, unload, and store weapons are critical.  So, my point is that the instructions to be taught at this camp should be able to translate whether military or civilian. 
So no matter if your military or not, the skills you learn are life long. 

I do not work with Raidon Tactics or Frankie, I simply wanted to post this for those who are thinking about attending.  I've served with the U.S. military for a long time and value quality training.  So if you have questions about the camp, contact GC or post your comments to the forum for Frankie and GC.  I'm sure that someone will be able to assist with any questions or concerns.

WOOF!

JT 

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 01:33:12 PM »
JT is being quite humble about his own service to us all.

fmcrae

• View Profile
    • Raidon Tactics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 01:53:36 PM »
JT, thanks for the comments. I don't know if we actually know each other or not but cant wait to meet you. It should be some very practical training for both Military and civilian students alike.  Marc and I have to pin down the details a little more but we got some good stuff planned.
Frankie McRae
Director of Training
Raidon Tactics Inc.
www.raidontactics.com

JT

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 04:06:44 PM »
Guro Crafty,

:-D  I've had an outstanding time serving in the military and many occasions overseas and here stateside have always keep me humble. I believe we discussed a few of those things during my last visit.  I look forward to chatting and training with you more GC.

@Frankie:  Your welcome! I don't think we have met, but I did serve in Bragg up until around 2008 so I am pretty sure that we probably know some of the same people. I am still active, but will be retiring here shortly.  :-D
 I'm sure this camp will be full of useful skills for anyone that attends.  I am spreading the word to a few former soldiers and friends in the San Diego/ LA area and a folks in the Arizona area. 

WOOF!

JT

ronin06

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 07:10:47 AM »
Joining the thread a bit late in the game, so I'll keep it brief.  Bottom line: I'd encourage anyone who carries, contemplates doing so, or wants to be prepared for "eventualities" to attend this training.  The skills (and insights) on offer are tremendously valuable and rarely offered in a civilian context.  And Frankie's credentials for passing them along are unsurpassed. This is a rare opportunity to acquire cutting edge skills.  I highly encourage folks to avail themselves of this opportunity.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 08:42:28 AM »
Spoken by a man of considerable experience informing his opinion.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
We're in gear!
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2012, 11:36:35 AM »
Woof All:

I just got off the phone with Frankie and am feeling VERY jazzed about this camp!  He and I are now fully engaged with this.

I will be fleshing this out more in the coming days, but for now I will say that the Camp will be three very full 6-8 hour days.   GIVEN THE NATURE OF THE CAMP, ATTENDANCE WILL BE LIMITED TO 24.  The cost will be somewhere around $400 to $450.  To enable more vigorous play all firearms will be airsoft, both pistol and long gun, which will be provided.  This will allow beginners to get into the swing of things while allowing more experienced gun folks to soak up the gems that can only come from being coached by someone of Frankie's experiences in combat and as a firearms instructor at the highest levels of the US Special Forces at Fort Bragg.  He's used it and knows how to teach it.

DAY ONE:  "TCCC" Trauma care stuff:  Frankie is an 18 Delta, which is a very serious level of combat medic skill.  The training will be very hands on.  There will be pig tracheas for practicing tracheotomies (sp?) and pig ribs for practicing sealing chest wounds and much more.  This is the sort of training you remember when you go home and recall if and when the excrement hits the fan!

DAY TWO:  Fun in and around vehicles:  Fighting with and against weapons in and around vehicles.  In the real world, problems often arise in and around vehicles.  This day will give you the sense of what to do.  For example, you don't want the first time you've thought about getting out of a car under fire to be under live fire.

DAY THREE:  CQB:  Working as part of a team and working solo.  Room clearing.  The shooting stance that Franke calls  , , , ahem , , , "the Crafty Stance"  ("Hell, if Weaver gets a stance named after him, you should get this innovation of yours named after you!") Integration of the Dog Catcher and other H2H techniques and much more.

More soon!  The Adventure continues!
Crafty Dog

DDF

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 11:02:21 AM »
I am very much interested in the TCCC. Are there still slots available?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2012, 08:49:46 PM »
Yes.  Pretty Kitty should have the registration up any day now.

pretty_kitty

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Cindy "Pretty Kitty" Denny.
Dog Brothers, Inc.

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2012, 09:16:41 PM »
Is there a one or two day price if someone is not interested in all three days?  For example, no offense, I have no interest in day one.

Day two and three sound quite interesting.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2012, 11:15:57 AM »
Good catch-- yes one may attend any combination of days.  I will ask my wife to make the necessary changes.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 09:29:24 PM »
Woof All:

As many of you know, DBMA can be said to be divided into three major areas:

1) Real Contact Stickfighting and related matters
2) “Kali Tudo” ™ and other Empty Hand
3) Die Less Often (DLO) : The Interface of gun, knife and empty hand.

The Kali Tudo is where we can explore and adrenalize weaponry idioms of movement.  Not only does this have considerable merit for cagefighting but it also prepares us for faster and more efficient reactions in DLO situations wherein we often will not have time to discern whether the adversary is armed or not, let alone choose a different response accordingly.

In DLO 1 we introduced us the basics of drawing and “getting off the X”.  DLO 2's focus was on gun people identifying when to solve knife attacks with a gun and when to solve the attack before going to gun (i.e. the attacker is too close) and not to try to both solve the attack while drawing at the same time (a VERY common error by many gun people).

Now it is time for DBMA’s DLO to turn to the study of the gun in Close Quarter.  Though I own and shoot guns, I am quite far from instructor level in their use.  This brings us to our guest instructor Frankie McCrae of Raidon Tactics, whom I met while working at Fort Bragg and with whom I am now in alliance http://raidontactics.com/raidon-tactics-partners-with-dog-brothers-martial-arts/

Who is Frankie?

Frank McRae is the former head of the US Army Special Forces Advanced Reconnaissance Target Analysis and Exploitation Techniques Course (SFARTAETC) at Ft. Bragg N.C. He started his military career in the 1st Ranger Bn as an 11B infantryman. He served in the 1st Special Forces Group (ABN) Okinawa Japan, in Cco 1st Bn. 1st SFG(A) (C-1-1) where he was an assault team leader for F team,Troop 1 in the Combatant Commanders In-extremis Force (CIF) conducting operations in Operation Enduring Freedom. Advising, training and standing up the Light Reaction Company of the Armed Forces of the Phillipines (AFP). He was then assigned as an Instructor to the SFARTAETC at the Special Warfare Center and School in Ft. Bragg NC, was promoted and became the NCOIC of the course and awarded for having the highest graduation rate for the course in it's twenty year history . He also served as a Troop SGM Troop 1 and Team SGT ODA-354 in B co 2nd Bn 3rd SFG(A) CIF in IRAQ as an Iraqi Counter-Terrorism Force (ICTF) Company SGM advisor and combat leader on many missions in Iraq and also attended the Israeli Counter-Terrorism Course as an exchange instructor.

For those of us not familiar with the acronyms with which the Army loves to speak, allow me to break this down a bit (for surely Frankie is too humble to do it himself).  Frankie is a Green Beret who after extensive experience leading units in firefights in Iraq and elsewhere taught advanced firearms to his fellow Green Berets at Fort Bragg, which is one of the major bases for Green Beret/Special Forces training.   As the Non-Com Officer in Charge (NCOIC) he had the highest graduation rate for the course in its history.  In other words, not only does the man have a wealth of combat experience, he is one helluva a teacher as well, deeply experienced in the ways of teaching people to successfully operate in extreme adrenal state of a firefight.

THIS IS A VERY RARE COMBINATION and the opportunity to take advantage of training with such a man is one to be taken.

The Camp will be for three days: July 13-15.

DAY ONE:  TRAUMA CARE.   Amongst his many talents, Frankie is an “18 Delta”.  An 18 Delta is a Special Forces Medical Sergeant and quite a bit more; his talents include teaching others how to do trauma care e.g. what to do when you or someone else is shot, stabbed, or cut until proper medical care is available. 

Here is the course description for the day— With some adaptations based upon civilian realities It is based closely upon 1 Day Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) TSE-NRBL-100.   TCCC is quickly becoming the standard of care for the tactical management of combat casualties within the Department of Defense and is the sole standard of care dually endorsed by both the American College of Surgeons and the National Association of EMT’s for casualty management in tactical environments.

Care Under Fire:

Care rendered at the scene of the injury while both the medic and the casualty are under hostile fire. Available medical equipment is limited to that carried by each operator and the medic and you or someone else needs fast medical care.

Tactical Field Care:

Rendered once the casualty is no longer under hostile fire. Medical equipment is still limited to that carried into the field by mission personnel. Time prior to evacuation may range from a few minutes to many hours. This will involve stabilizing a patient until medical care arrives and you are then able to assist the medical personnel because correct lifesaving measures have already been rendered to the patient. 

Rendered while the casualty is evacuated to a higher echelon of care. Any additional personnel and medical equipment pre-staged in these assets will be available during this phase. (This module will not be covered because it involves a higher level of certification than we can give you in an introductory course.)

This one-day course covers the Care under fire and Tactical Field care phases for soldiers that are isolated or in small units away from medical assistance, using small bags that have minimal equipment.  (see e.g. http://dogbrothers.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=47&products_id=166 )

What that means for us is that under Frankie’s supervision your training will including doing cricothyroidotomies on pig windpipes and chest wound seals on pig ribs.  This is training that truly maximizes your ability to remember what to do and have the confidence to do it should you ever need it!!! There will be NO LIVE ANIMALS USED FOR THIS TRAINING!

DAY TWO:  Close Quarter Combat with an emphasis on fun in and around vehicles: 

a.   Confined space fighting to avoid hijacking
b.   Where and how to sit to avoid a hijacking a high crime area
c.   Getting out of a vehicle that is being fired upon when it can no longer move and is rendered useless
d.   Firing from vehicles
e.   Using vehicles as cover

This course module will be conducted with Airsoft training guns in order to maximize the learning environment and maximize student involvement in a safe but challenging situational training.  It is designed to get you into the adrenal state and let you understand through the use and feel of the experience what works and what does not—without killing anyone.   If you do not have your own, we will provide the Airsoft pistols, rifles, and safety gear. 

We feel that the airsoft training guns give the best feedback and safety needed to accommodate this type of training. If you are experienced with firearms and have never used Airsoft you will be surprised by the effect and the training value they provide. 

When all is said and done this module will give you better awareness as to your situation and vulnerabilities in a vehicle but also give you added strengths that you may not have thought of in the past. It is just another way to use the tools in your tool box in a non-standard situation.

First Frankie will introduce “the Crafty Shooting Stance”.   Though with very good reason I am quite humble about my firearms skills, applying the logic of “consistency across categories” I have based my close quarter shooting stance upon “Kali Tudo/Kali Fence” structures.   In this I have been blessed to have a shooting coach such as my friend Southnark give me the room to explore this when I attend his courses.   The structure seems logical and efficient to me, but I lack the basis to respect my own opinion in these things LOL.   

Thus is was of great interest to me to see what Frankie made of it when we worked together at Fort Bragg.  Here is what he says:

Marc:

I wanted to let you know that since we have started working together I have learned a tremendous amount. More so with the adaptation of your fighting stance and the flexibility it offers for my Gunfighter series. I have found that it allows for a more mobile base to a more reflexive stance that keeps the shooter from becoming too lazy and moving into a Weaver stance.  Indeed, I think it no less an innovation than the Weaver stance and no less deserving of its own name and hereby propose “the Crafty Dog Stance”. 

Why?

You know how I feel about a restrictive position. The Crafty Dog gives a more powerful position to the shooter to start from  and makes movement easier. It is better for recoil management in a rapid shooting engagement and allows smaller shooters and women to shoot bigger handguns without all the shoulder involvement. It allows for better follow thru and for sure makes recovery easier for faster shooting and quicker target engagement for follow on shots. I just taught a three day Gunfighter course and some of the students had attended a previous course. They loved the new addition and thought it was better adapted to shooting as well. One student said it was more comfortable for him to use the Crafty Dog than a regular Isosceles because it put less stress on his lower back with all the kit on. Anything that helps our backs with 60lbs of body armor and kit  has got to be better than the normal. I wanted to thank you again for the mentoring and the new techniques you have taught me. I hope one day to be able to reciprocate as much.

Signed,
Frankie Mcrae

www.RaidonTactics.com 

I humbly blush at such praise from such a man , , , and vainly accept the naming of “The Crafty Dog Stance”   ;D

I strongly underline the point that the stance is the principal one I teach for Kali Tudo and Kali Fence application and thus there will be no change or transition necessary when a CQ gunfight goes or begins hands on. 

The first part of the day will be dedicated to learning to move and shoot from the Crafty Stance.   From there we will move to “Fun in and around vehicles”—which is exactly where lots of problems arise.

There will be segments concerning fighting inside the vehicle, shooting from inside the vehicle (including how to work as an effective team with your buddies), how to get out of the vehicle and fight from there, and more.

DAY THREE:  Gun Fighting Inside Structures (GFIS) including CQB

Often the logical thing to do will be to hunker down, call 911, and wait for the police to arrive.   What are the best ways to hunker down?  And, if you have to go looking for trouble, what are the best ways to do that?  What to do if someone tries getting tangled up with you? We will show how DBMA techniques such as the Dog Catcher and the Dracula blend seamlessly with the Crafty Stance so you can re-establish the proper range and angles for your gun.

In closing I would like to mention a few things:

a)   Because of the nature of the instruction, attendance will be limited to 24.  Cost is $400. Active duty military get the usual 25% discount.  LEOs get 10%.
b)   Because we have so much to do, the days will be longer than the usual five hours.  We anticipate 6 hours for the Trauma Care and 6-8 hours for the second and third days
c)   THE COURSE IS SUITABLE FOR BEGINNERS AS WELL AS SEASONED PLAYERS.  If you are a beginner (I’ve always been meaning to get around to guns, but never found the right opportunity) this is an outstanding opportunity to get started the right way—with the big real world picture that a man like Frankie can convey.  Because the “guns” will be airsoft, safety errors do not mean that someone will get shot.  If you are a seasoned player, this camp will be one big long opportunity to pick up the gems that come from being coached by and hanging out with a high level operator instructor like Frankie McCrae.

As the saying goes, “Ninety percent of Life is a matter of showing up!”

Will you be there?  Only the first twenty four to sign up will be.

Walk as a Warrior for all your days”,
Guro Marc “Crafty Dog” Denny

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2012, 09:32:24 AM »
A few minor changes/corrections in this:

Woof All:

2) “Kali Tudo” ™ and other Empty Hand

The Kali Tudo is where we can explore and adrenalize weaponry idioms of movement.  Not only does this have considerable merit for cage fighting but it also prepares us for faster and more efficient reactions in DLO situations wherein we often will not have time to discern whether the adversary is armed or not, let alone choose a different response accordingly.

In DLO 1 we introduced us the basics of drawing and “getting off the X”.  DLO 2's focus was on gun people identifying when to solve knife attacks with a gun and when to solve the attack before going to gun (i.e. the attacker is too close) and not to try to both solve the attack while drawing at the same time (a VERY common error by many gun people).

Now it is time for DBMA’s DLO to turn to the study of the gun in Close Quarter.  Though I own and shoot guns, I am quite far from instructor level in their use.  This brings us to our guest instructor Frankie McRae of Raidon Tactics, whom I met while working at Fort Bragg and with whom I am now in alliance http://raidontactics.com/raidon-tactics-partners-with-dog-brothers-martial-arts/

Who is Frankie?

For those of us not familiar with the acronyms with which the Army loves to speak, allow me to break this down a bit (for surely Frankie is too humble to do it himself).  Frankie is a Green Beret who after extensive experience leading units in firefights in Iraq and elsewhere taught advanced firearms to his fellow Green Berets at Fort Bragg, which is one of the major bases for Green Beret/Special Forces training.   As the Non-Com Officer in Charge (NCOIC) he had the highest graduation rate for the course in its history.  In other words, not only does the man have a wealth of combat experience, he is one helluva a teacher as well, deeply experienced in the ways of teaching people to successfully operate in extreme adrenal state of a firefight.

THIS IS A VERY RARE COMBINATION and the opportunity to take advantage of training with such a man is one to be taken.

The Camp will be for three days: July 13-15.  The cost for all three days is $400.  Day One may be taken separately for $150.  Days Two and Three can be taken for $300.

DAY ONE:  TRAUMA CARE.   Amongst his many talents, Frankie is an “18 Delta”.  An 18 Delta is a Special Forces Medical Sergeant and quite a bit more; his talents include teaching others how to do trauma care e.g. what to do when you or someone else is shot, stabbed, or cut until proper medical care is available. 

Here is the course description for the day— With some adaptations based upon civilian realities it is based closely upon 1 Day Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) TSE-NRBL-100.   TCCC is quickly becoming the standard of care for the tactical management of combat casualties within the Department of Defense and is the sole standard of care dually endorsed by both the American College of Surgeons and the National Association of EMT’s for casualty management in tactical environments.

Care Under Fire:

Care rendered at the scene of the injury while both the medic and the casualty are under hostile fire. Available medical equipment is limited to that carried by each operator and the medic and you or someone else needs fast medical care.

Tactical Field Care:

Rendered once the casualty is no longer under hostile fire. Medical equipment is still limited to that carried into the field by mission personnel. Time prior to evacuation may range from a few minutes to many hours. This will involve stabilizing a patient until medical care arrives and you are then able to assist the medical personnel because correct lifesaving measures have already been rendered to the patient. 

Rendered while the casualty is evacuated to a higher echelon of care. Any additional personnel and medical equipment pre-staged in these assets will be available during this phase. This module will not be covered at the Camp.

This one-day course covers the Care under fire and Tactical Field care phases for soldiers that are isolated or in small units away from medical assistance, using small bags that have minimal equipment.  (see e.g. http://dogbrothers.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=47&products_id=166 )

What that means for us is that under Frankie’s supervision your training will including doing cricothyroidotomies on pig windpipes and chest wound seals on pig ribs.  This is training that truly maximizes your ability to remember what to do and have the confidence to do it should you ever need it!!! There will be NO LIVE ANIMALS USED FOR THIS TRAINING!

a.   Confined space fighting to avoid hijacking
b.   Where and how to sit to avoid a hijacking a high crime area
c.   Getting out of a vehicle that is being fired upon when it can no longer move and is rendered useless
d.   Firing from vehicles
e.   Using vehicles as cover

This course module will be conducted with Airsoft training guns in order to maximize the learning environment and maximize student involvement in a safe but challenging situational training.  It is designed to get you into the adrenal state and let you understand through the use and feel of the experience what works and what does not—without killing anyone.   If you do not have your own, we will provide the Airsoft pistols, rifles, and safety gear. 

We feel that the airsoft training guns give the best feedback and safety needed to accommodate this type of training. If you are experienced with firearms and have never used Airsoft you will be surprised by the effect and the training value they provide. 

When all is said and done this module will give you better awareness as to your situation and vulnerabilities in a vehicle but also give you added strengths that you may not have thought of in the past. It is just another way to use the tools in your tool box in a non-standard situation.

First Frankie will introduce “the Crafty Dog Shooting Stance”.   Though with very good reason I am quite humble about my firearms skills, applying the logic of “consistency across categories” I have based my close quarter shooting stance upon “Kali Tudo/Kali Fence” structures.   In this I have been blessed to have a shooting coach such as my friend Southnark give me the room to explore this when I attend his courses.   The structure seems logical and efficient to me, but I lack the basis to respect my own opinion in these things!   

Thus is was of great interest to me to see what Frankie made of it when we worked together at Fort Bragg.  Here is what he says:

Marc:

I wanted to let you know that since we have started working together I have learned a tremendous amount. More so with the adaptation of your fighting stance and the flexibility it offers for my Gunfighter series. I have found that it allows for a more mobile base to a more reflexive stance that keeps the shooter from becoming too lazy and moving into a Weaver stance.  Indeed, I think it no less an innovation than the Weaver stance and no less deserving of its own name and hereby propose “the Crafty Dog Stance”. 

Why?

You know how I feel about a restrictive position. The Crafty Dog gives a more powerful position to the shooter to start from  and makes movement easier. It is better for recoil management in a rapid shooting engagement and allows smaller shooters and women to shoot bigger handguns without all the shoulder involvement. It allows for better follow thru and for sure makes recovery easier for faster shooting and quicker target engagement for follow on shots. I just taught a three day Gunfighter course and some of the students had attended a previous course. They loved the new addition and thought it was better adapted to shooting as well. One student said it was more comfortable for him to use the Crafty Dog than a regular Isosceles because it put less stress on his lower back with all the kit on. Anything that helps our backs with 60lbs of body armor and kit  has got to be better than the normal. I wanted to thank you again for the mentoring and the new techniques you have taught me. I hope one day to be able to reciprocate as much.

Signed,
Frankie Mcrae

www.RaidonTactics.com 

I humbly blush at such praise from such a man , , , and vainly accept the naming of “The Crafty Dog Stance”   

I strongly underline the point that the stance is the principal one I teach for Kali Tudo and Kali Fence application and thus there will be no change or transition necessary when a CQ gunfight goes or begins hands on. 

The first part of the day will be dedicated to learning to move and shoot from the Crafty Stance.   From there we will move to “Fun in and around vehicles”—which is exactly where lots of problems arise.

There will be segments concerning fighting inside the vehicle, shooting from inside the vehicle (including how to work as an effective team with your buddies), how to get out of the vehicle and fight from there, and more.

DAY THREE:  Room to Room Arm Movement (RRAM) including CQB

Often the logical thing to do will be to hunker down, call 911, and wait for the police to arrive.   What are the best ways to hunker down?  And, if you have to go looking for trouble, what are the best ways to do that?  What to do if someone tries getting tangled up with you? We will show how DBMA techniques such as the Dog Catcher and the Dracula blend seamlessly with the Crafty Stance so you can re-establish the proper range and angles for your gun.

a)   Because of the nature of the instruction, attendance will be limited to 24.  Cost is $400. Active duty military get the usual 25% discount.  LEOs get 10%. 
b)   Because we have so much to do, the days will be longer than the usual five hours.  We anticipate 6 hours for the Trauma Care and 6-8 hours for the second and third days
c)   THE COURSE IS SUITABLE FOR BEGINNERS AS WELL AS SEASONED PLAYERS.  If you are a beginner (I’ve always been meaning to get around to guns, but never found the right opportunity) this is an outstanding opportunity to get started the right way—with the big real world picture that a man like Frankie can convey.  Because the “guns” will be airsoft, safety errors do not mean that someone will get shot.  If you are a seasoned player, this camp will be one big long opportunity to pick up the gems that come from being coached by and hanging out with a high level operator instructor like Frankie McCrae.

As the saying goes, “Ninety percent of Life is a matter of showing up!”

Walk as a Warrior for all your days”,
Guro Marc “Crafty Dog” Denny

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Change of Dates
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2012, 07:13:30 PM »
Woof All:

One of the things we wanted to do with this camp is shoot DLO 4 and frankly my leg is just not going to be up to it so Frankie and I have agreed to push the date of the Camp-- perhaps to September 20-22 i.e. the three days before the Open Gathering so that out of towners can do the Camp as well as the Gathering for one airfare.

More on this in the coming days.  At the moment Frankie is on the road.

TAC!
Guro Crafty/Marc

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
New dates
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2012, 01:13:22 PM »
Frankie has confirmed with me the new dates for the Camp: 9/20-22

pretty_kitty

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2012, 02:11:58 PM »
Woof Cindy,   

What follows is an updated invitation to our "Dog Brothers Martial Arts Summer Camp 2012".   Please note there have been a few important changes concerning the date and signing up:

The Camp will be for three days: Thursday September 20th through Saturday September 22nd. 

The cost for all three days is $300. 
Day One may be taken separately for $100. 
Days Two and Three can be taken for $250.

We chose these dates so as to coordinate with the 2012 Dog Brothers Open Gathering of the Pack, the idea being that people could do both the Gathering and the Camp while paying to travel to Los Angeles only one time.  That said, some questions do arise:

First, the first two days of the Camp are what are for many people, work days. 

Second, the Camp concerns gun, which is an unproven area of interest for the DBMA audience.

Third, there are additional costs to us due to subject matter of the course.

Therefore this is how things will be done:  We need to have 20 committed attendees by August 31st or this will not make sense for us.

The Adventure continues!
Guro Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) "Kali Tudo" ™ and other Empty Hand

The Kali Tudo is where we can explore and adrenalize weaponry idioms of movement empty-handed.  Not only does this have considerable merit for cage fighting but it also prepares us for faster and more efficient reactions in DLO situations wherein we often will not have time to discern whether the adversary is armed or not, let alone choose a different response accordingly.

In DLO 1 we introduced us the basics of drawing and "getting off the X".  DLO 2's focus was on gun people identifying when to solve knife attacks with a gun and when to solve the attack before going to gun (i.e. the attacker is too close) and not to try to both solve the attack while drawing at the same time (a VERY common error by many gun people).  DLO 3 focused on initiation and interception from "the Kali Fence".

Now it is time for DBMA's DLO to turn to the study of the gun in Close Quarter.  Though I own and shoot guns, I am quite far from instructor level in their use.  This brings us to our guest instructor Frankie McRae of Raidon Tactics, whom I met while working at Fort Bragg and with whom I am now in alliance http://raidontactics.com/raidon-tactics-partners-with-dog-brothers-martial-arts/

Who is Frankie?

The Camp will be for three days: September 20 - 22. 
The cost for all three days is $300. 
Day One may be taken separately for $100. 
Days Two and Three can be taken for $250.

DAY ONE:  TRAUMA CARE.   Amongst his many talents, Frankie is an "18 Delta".  An 18 Delta is a Special Forces Medical Sergeant and quite a bit more; his talents include teaching others how to do trauma care e.g. what to do when you or someone else is shot, stabbed, or cut until proper medical care is available. 

Here is the course description for the day- With some adaptations based upon civilian realities it is based closely upon 1 Day Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) TSE-NRBL-100.   TCCC is quickly becoming the standard of care for the tactical management of combat casualties within the Department of Defense and is the sole standard of care dually endorsed by both the American College of Surgeons and the National Association of EMT's for casualty management in tactical environments.

TCCC is built around three definitive phases of casualty care-we will cover the first two at the Camp:

Care Under Fire:

Tactical Field Care:

What that means for us is that under Frankie's supervision your training will including doing cricothyroidotomies on pig windpipes and chest wound seals on pig ribs.  This is training that truly maximizes your ability to remember what to do and have the confidence to do it should you ever need it!!! There will be NO LIVE ANIMALS USED FOR THIS TRAINING!

a.   Confined space fighting to avoid hijacking
b.   Where and how to sit to avoid a hijacking a high crime area
c.   Getting out of a vehicle that is being fired upon when it can no longer move and is rendered useless
d.   Firing from vehicles
e.   Using vehicles as cover

This course module will be conducted with Airsoft training guns in order to maximize the learning environment and maximize student involvement in a safe but challenging situational training.  It is designed to get you into the adrenal state and let you understand through the use and feel of the experience what works and what does not-without killing anyone.   If you do not have your own, we will provide the Airsoft pistols, rifles, and safety gear. 

First Frankie will introduce "the Crafty Dog Shooting Stance".   Though with very good reason I am quite humble about my firearms skills, applying the logic of "consistency across categories" I have based my close quarter shooting stance upon "Kali Tudo/Kali Fence" structures.   In this I have been blessed to have a shooting coach such as my friend Southnark give me the room to explore this when I attend his courses.   The structure seems logical and efficient to me, but I lack the basis to respect my own opinion in these things!   

"I wanted to let you know that since we have started working together I have learned a tremendous amount. More so with the adaptation of your fighting stance and the flexibility it offers for my Gunfighter series. I have found that it allows for a more mobile base to a more reflexive stance that keeps the shooter from becoming too lazy and moving into a Weaver stance.  Indeed, I think it no less an innovation than the Weaver stance and no less deserving of its own name and hereby propose "the Crafty Dog Stance". 

"Why?

"You know how I feel about a restrictive position. The Crafty Dog gives a more powerful position to the shooter to start from  and makes movement easier. It is better for recoil management in a rapid shooting engagement and allows smaller shooters and women to shoot bigger handguns without all the shoulder involvement. It allows for better follow thru and for sure makes recovery easier for faster shooting and quicker target engagement for follow on shots. I just taught a three day Gunfighter course and some of the students had attended a previous course. They loved the new addition and thought it was better adapted to shooting as well. One student said it was more comfortable for him to use the Crafty Dog than a regular Isosceles because it put less stress on his lower back with all the kit on. Anything that helps our backs with 60lbs of body armor and kit  has got to be better than the normal. I wanted to thank you again for the mentoring and the new techniques you have taught me. I hope one day to be able to reciprocate as much."
"Frankie McRae"

I humbly blush at such praise from such a man , , , and vainly accept the naming of "The Crafty Dog Stance"   

I strongly underline the point that the stance is the principal one I teach for Kali Tudo and Kali Fence application and thus there will be no change or transition necessary from other structures when a CQ gunfight goes or begins hands on. 

The first part of the day will be dedicated to learning to move and shoot from the Crafty Stance.   From there we will move to "Fun in and around vehicles"-which is exactly where lots of problems arise.

DAY THREE:  Room to Room Armed Movement (RRAM) including CQB:

a)   Because of the nature of the instruction, attendance will be limited to 24.  Active duty military get the usual 25% discount.  LEOs get 10%.

b)   Because we have so much to do, the days will be longer than the usual five hours.  We anticipate 6 hours for the Trauma Care and 6-8 hours for the second and third days

c)   THE COURSE IS SUITABLE FOR BEGINNERS AS WELL AS SEASONED PLAYERS.  If you are a beginner (I've always been meaning to get around to guns, but never found the right opportunity) this is an outstanding opportunity to get started the right way-with the big real world picture that a man like Frankie can convey.  Because the "guns" will be airsoft, safety errors do not mean that someone will get shot.  If you are a seasoned player, this camp will be one big long opportunity to pick up the gems that come from being coached by and hanging out with a high level operator instructor like Frankie McCrae.

As the saying goes, "Ninety percent of Life is a matter of showing up!"

"Walk as a Warrior for all your days",
Guro Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

REGISTER FOR THE CAMP: 
http://dogbrothers.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=171

Cindy "Pretty Kitty" Denny.
Dog Brothers, Inc.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2014, 09:24:56 AM »