Author Topic: 9/23/12 Dog Brothers Open Gathering of the Pack  (Read 113950 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
9/23/12 Dog Brothers Open Gathering of the Pack
« on: February 08, 2012, 05:46:40 PM »
Opening the thread of record for the Open Gathering.  Once again, it will be held at Gokor's place.

JSworth

• View Profile
Re: 9/23/12 Dog Brothers Open Gathering of the Pack
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 06:46:58 PM »
This may be a dumb question, but do you know when you will have the registration form available? Or is it already up and I'm just looking in the wrong place?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:51:11 PM »
Its probably not up yet.  After all we are a full seven months away   :-D

JSworth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 09:49:02 PM »
Yeah, I kind of figured it was too early for it to be up. I'm just excited about it because I've been training with the various DBMA videos, as well as some others in various arts as much and as hard as I can for a while now and really want to get out there and do this for real. I've even been able to find a couple of guys that have been willing to train with me and do some sparring, though just with padded sticks so that kind of stinks. And even though I realize it's a very real possibility (read probability) that I'll get rolled pretty good, I'm strangely OK with that as long as I'm able to learn something from the experience. Either way though I'm going to be there this year. I don't care if I have to walk my happy butt to get there. Looking forward to meeting as many of you guys as I can in person.

Dr Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »
Woof JSWorth - I recognize that excitement and burning enthusiasm  :-D - I know the feeling. All of us who have done a gathering have felt that. Keep that going strong and keep training and if you are there in September, I'd be happy to save a dance for you. I think it helps to have at least a match or two prearranged - helps with motivation in training and keeping it focused.

Dog Rick

Saint Miki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 10:08:14 AM »
Woof all! I'm in the process of planning a trip to LA this summer for our first open gathering. The problem I'm having is that I have never really left Memphis, and I don't have any idea what I'm getting into. If anyone in the area could help me out with information about the area and hotels, that would be great.  :-D

Vigilant Dog

• View Profile
    • Guro Dirk
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 10:00:38 AM »
Just want to make sure you folks got my "fighter form" for the open Gathering in Sept. Also, its kind of early, but what the hell, got 2 fights set up for the open (thanks Toki and Eric Taimanglo) and looking for 1 more (preferably single stick but will consider another knife fight).

Woof out,
Dirk
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:37:48 PM by Dirk »
Dirk Eichstaedt
DBMA training grp leader, Minnesota

Saint Miki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
I'd be happy to have a dance with you, Dirk.  :-D I sent in my registration form last week, and I'm very excited about my first gathering!

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 01:17:28 PM »
JSWorth- I look forward to meeting you, the enthusiasm and upcoming chatter is something I SERIOUSLY felt last year (my 1st Gathering), apparently it is normal.  I was determined to get there no matter what also, I hung a copy of my registration form next to my medicine cabinet where I would be reminded and motivated every day.

I got, as you would say, "rolled" last year, broken finger, broken nose (again) and major bruising ALL OVER, and it was one of the greatest days of my entire life!  The pack mentality, respect, and comraderie is soo strong I could hardly believe it, even between newbies and the Dog's- afterwards we went to a restaurant and had a great time talking about how we got jacked up, or if you are Eric Tailmango, he jacked folks up! LOL.  But did not boast about it.  We were fortunate to have Guro Crafty Dog break bread with us and I was stoked, he has been one of my MA idols for almost 20 years.

I recommend setting up a couple fights in advance as Dog Rick said, it takes away a little of the stress so you are not wandering around the mat asking folks to dance.  LOL

Poi-Dog is one of the nicest folks you will find and he often saves a dance or two for newbies, he is soo good he will push you to the limit but not break you (many Dog's fit this description) - Fighting with the Dog's seems a little safer because they are used to the adrenalin rush and they do not typically lose control.

I am looking to set up a dance or two on here, and really hope I can step out with some of the best and toughest out there- my goal is to make "Dog" so I want to test myself as much as possible. (Maybe this is just a death-wish, but at least if I got to fight Kaju-Dog, he can give me medical treatment after he jacks me up)

gibby
A-Pos
Note to self: Wait until NEXT year to fight C-Mongolian Dog again.  I am still sore from last time! LOL
Note to self II:  During ground and pound do not remove your mask "to see better" as you will get jacked and bloody.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 01:21:50 PM by Gibby »
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

jcordova

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 01:52:27 PM »
Gibby, I would like to have a dance with ya.. I also hope to make it this year :-D

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 02:22:43 PM »
I second Gibby on this: "Poi-Dog is one of the nicest folks you will find and he often saves a dance or two for newbies, he is soo good he will push you to the limit but not break you ." 

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 09:59:02 AM »
Sifu Cordova, you got it bro!  Single double or something crazy like chains or rubber hoses?
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

jcordova

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 02:01:08 PM »
Let's go double stick  :-D.  Hopefully, I can vet a dance card with PoiDog too. I missed it last hear.  :lol:

Vigilant Dog

• View Profile
    • Guro Dirk
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 08:29:41 PM »
Sounds like a plan Saint Miki, single stick sound ok?

Dirk Eichstaedt

Saint Miki

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 05:09:23 PM »
Fantastic. I'd also like to have an empty hand match, if anyone's up for it. :3

Hello Kitty

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 12:07:17 PM »
I hope to make it.

danicasdad

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 02:31:06 AM »
 :-D just scanned and emailed my registration form. looking forward to some serious training time between now and then. hopefully i can get up to speed with fighting double stick.

Saint Miki

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 08:29:01 AM »
Whoops, sorry Dirk. Apparently i'm only allowed to fight other women with sticks. Can anyone expand on this for me?

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
  • I might be small.....but, I'm not little
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 08:37:13 AM »
One should note that this is a Real Contact Stick Fighting event, no empty hand fighting permitted (unless you loose your weapon of course) :-D

@ Saint Miki, don't worry about not having a challenging fight with the ladies. Between the 4 women who have already fought in at least 1 Gathering previously, I believe they are training very hard for this up-coming fight day since they've been through it before. One is trained by me, one trained by Salty Dog, and the other trained by Crafty on occassion. So no worries...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:44:16 AM by C-Mighty Dog »
C-Mighty Dog      small dog...Big Balls

Vigilant Dog

• View Profile
    • Guro Dirk
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 07:13:40 PM »
Owwww. didn't see that coming Saint Miki, failed to check your profile gender. Call me old fashioned but I wouldn't feel right going up against a woman, no disrespect intended.

Still looking for a single stick dance..

Dirk
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:18:16 PM by Dirk »
Dirk Eichstaedt

Saint Miki

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 08:39:26 PM »
No offense taken, sir. :3 I'd still surely appreciate it if anyone in the LA area would be able to tell me a bit about...well, the LA area.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 08:51:34 PM »
No offense taken, sir. :3 I'd still surely appreciate it if anyone in the LA area would be able to tell me a bit about...well, the LA area.

Imagine they paved hell, only with more evil and pollution. Oh, and palm trees.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 03:45:32 AM »
Imagine a town where the biggest industry is dedicated to the Art of Deception (i.e. the movie biz), , ,

More seriously now, what is it you would like to know?

Hello Kitty

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 08:17:39 PM »
Imagine a place where you're in line to get a hot dog at Pinks, and they rip your motorcycle helmet off by cutting the straps. High desert, you can basically drive from north L.A. all the way to the Mexican border without ever leaving a city. It's a giant, sprawling mass of crime and Liberals. Bad conservatives are sent here as a form of purgatory. That basically sums it up.

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 09:10:43 PM »
Seriously speaking, if you want fabulous food, a diversity of culture, fabulous weather, you can ski today and go to the beach all in the same day; if you want entrepreneurs all around you,
if you want excitement and opportunity, an international flavor, come to LA.  If you are a redneck, hate other cultures and minorities, if you don't like the sun, beaches, or ski resorts, if you are narrow in your thinking, don't come here.  It's all here; it's up to you.  Whatever you make of it.  And oh yeah, we have evil and deception too.   :-)  And you can still vote Republican; but you will be in the minority.   :-)

Hello Kitty

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 07:42:23 AM »
Scrambled egg breakfast with sourdough toast and orange juice on the boardwalk in Venice Beach with all the beach performers is a must do. Pretty cool.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 03:49:19 PM »
When I first arrived in LA in 1982 I had several near misses on rear ended the car in front of me with my Harley.  I could not understand why cars were stopping for no apparent reason.  Then someone explained to me that in LA you have to stop for pedestrians.

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 02:27:30 AM »
I got there and thought: "Where are all the skyscrappers!?!"  :-D  Then I got sunburn and fell over, but then I'm Scottish and so pale most Californians thought I was an Albino  :wink:

Saint Miki

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 04:41:47 AM »
mostly i'm just looking to find out which areas are the "bad neighborhoods," i'm still in the process of trying to book the hotel and whatnot. :3 We're planning on a five day trip, so i have to know what public transit is like. having only been on a trip outside of memphis once, i'm trying to cover all of my bases.

Hello Kitty

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 07:33:38 AM »
Hard to say due to the fact that L.A. is like a big checkerboard with good and bad neighborhoods everywhere. East L.A. and central and south central L.A. are definitely not good. Hollenbeck division is amongst the worst as are Pacoima, Sylmar, and Van Nuys in the Valley. A better way to go is just to maintain situational awareness, because odds are, nothing will happen where you're at, but you never know. Just enjoy yourself. L.A. has many very cool things about it. Anyone from NoHo can offer suggestions as can Huntington Beach and Crafty. Enjoy.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 03:29:56 PM »
"Public transit"?  What is that?

Hello Kitty

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 04:19:15 PM »
"Public transit"?  What is that?
Yes...i spaced that. You drive everywhere here. Public transit... Some subways that are efficient, but that's about it. You drive EVERYWHERE, or you don't do much.

Saint Miki

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »
Ah, that's no good for me. :P I don't drive anywhere.

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2012, 01:21:59 AM »
as the dates get closer, you will find that most travellers stay around the same area, there will be rental cars for carpooling( granted, they are not your chauffer) but most fighters are very helpful and friendly. You should have any difficulty getting around.  Look for other travellers and ask where they are staying. I belive that even though the Gathering is in North Hollywood, people still stay near Hermosa Beach or the LAX airport.

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2012, 07:48:42 PM »
Sensei Toki (C-Mighty Dog) hit it on the head.  Most fighters are more than happy to help IN ANY WAY.  I live in San Diego and my fiance and I go up the night before and stay at a pretty inexpensive hotel about 10-15 minutes from Gokor's gym- Would be happy to pick you up, shuttle you around and anything else you might need!  This offer is for any fighters coming to town.

Email or PM me if anybody needs anything-

TAC!
gibby
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

Saint Miki

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 05:21:58 PM »
Very cool! I certainly appreciate the offer, Gibby! :3

Vigilant Dog

• View Profile
    • Guro Dirk
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 03:24:05 PM »
Really digging the "brotherhood" atmosphere this org seems to emanate. Still looking for a dance or 2 for the open if anyone is interested (1 single stick would be nice).
Dirk Eichstaedt

Poidog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2012, 09:42:59 PM »
Dax & jcordova,

It would be my pleasure.  I look forward to crossing sticks with y'all.

Aloha, Poi
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:47:19 PM by Poidog »
Who dares wins - British SAS

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2012, 12:47:07 PM »
Dax-  I would be more than happy to step out with you...This is only my 2nd Gathering so I still have my amateur status intact.  LOL

Single or double-stick is fine with me...
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2012, 09:58:30 PM »
cool, cool!  I will put you on my dance card.. :-D
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

CrazyCossack

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2012, 05:22:21 PM »
One should note that this is a Real Contact Stick Fighting event, no empty hand fighting permitted (unless you loose your weapon of course) :-D

This statement was in regards to whether someone would be interested in an empty hand fight.

I'm confused about the statement I quoted as I'm also interested in empty hand fights at Dog Brothers events. Why would empty hand fighting not be permitted? If knives, belts, bokken, garden hoses, etc... are viable options at a "Real Contact Stick Fighting event" then surely empty hand should be.

I've also seen video clips of people fighting empty hand vs one stick. I may have missed the memo but this is leaving me pretty confused.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I'm also unclear as to who has the authority to "permit" something at a gathering, from my understanding you could fight anyone, with anything you wanted, as long as they agreed to it. Are there certain people, such as C-Mighty Dog that decide things like this for everyone else?

Please enlighten me.

c - Shadow Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • jkd concepts
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2012, 07:39:32 PM »
CrazyCossack-  send me a personal message and i will give you my cell phone number and  we can have a good conversation and i will give you the low down.

woof!

C -  (   ?   )  Terry

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2012, 07:26:43 AM »
CC:

C-MD is simply repeating the established understanding.   As I have explained on various occasions, there are plenty of venues one can go for MMA type fights; if that's what you want to do then do that.  However, at a DB Gathering fighters happen to become unarmed, then the fight continues anyway.

Does this help?

Crafty Dog
GF

CrazyCossack

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2012, 08:10:30 PM »
Thanks for the response.

I wasn't aware of this established understanding until now, and unfortunately didn't catch one of your explanations earlier.

As it turns out I train in a predominately MMA focused gym and therefore have the opportunity to practice empty hand figting there. The reason why I was interested in pursuing this at a Gathering was to further explore empty hand fighting under a less restrictive rule set. My experience with fighting at Dog Brothers events has been vastly different than fighting within the club I train at. I was interested in how my empty hand fighting my differ in this different venue but will of course abide by the established understanding in the future.

DDF

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2012, 10:59:12 AM »
May be winding things down in Mexico for awhile. Sent over mybreg for the open but my name isn't on the list. Should I fax over another PK?
Greetings to all.
I'll be at training tomorrow as well in NoHo.

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2012, 08:24:04 PM »
Sent over mybreg for the open but my name isn't on the list.

Dayvid, your not on the list because you tested positive for performance enhancing drugs....  LOL

:mrgreen:
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

Quiet Dog

• View Profile
    • Coast Executive Services
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2012, 02:28:16 PM »
Woof,

Looking at some options for September....

Double Knife

Single Knife

2 on 2 Knife

Stick and Knife

Anyone interested in any of the above?

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2012, 04:06:33 PM »
I'll do Stick and Knife Quiet Dog

Saint Miki

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »
How does everyone prepare for the gathering? Personally, I've been working more cardio and strength than usual, and trying to put an edge on my ground work... though in reality, that's all coming with taking my normal training to the next level. Do you more seasoned fellas have a specific ritual in the month or two leading up to a gathering?

dcoe

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2012, 08:26:18 PM »
greetings.

my name is darrin coe and I've been training in arnis for 15 years or so.  I'm strongly considering coming to the gathering this year.  At least I've started more intense training just in case.  anyway, just wanted to say that it will be an honor and a privilege to face off with anyone at the gathering.  I consider every opponent I face as my teacher, so the more teachers the better :)

Ok, so I hope to see y'all there.

Darrin Coe