Author Topic: 9/23/12 Dog Brothers Open Gathering of the Pack  (Read 113976 times)

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 9/23/12 Dog Brothers Open Gathering of the Pack
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2012, 08:52:42 AM »
Saint Miki- I follow the rare and arduous routine of drinking, smoking, and watching Rockford files in the months leading up to AND following the Gathering.  I have a huge stack of motorcycle tires in the garage that I beat the hell out of once in awhile though...

Folks will think I am kidding but...

Darring Coe- Welcome to the adventure!  Last year was my 1st Gathering, it was one of the greatest days of my entire life and I do NOT have 15 years of Arnis training  :-o

The intensity, comraderie, and growth from the Gathering was beyond my wildest expectations.  I am not sure what might be keeping you from attending, but I can almost guarantee that you will learn more about yourself than you expected.  Besides after 15 yrs of Arnis, aren't you curious to put it to work?

Hope to see you out there!

tac
gibby
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

dcoe

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2012, 08:42:55 PM »
gibby,

generally, what's holding me back is having a mortgage, a wife, and four kids.  it's tough to justify a plane ticket and a hotel, but I'm working on it.

I have actually had six in ring reality dog brothers style stickfights but the gathering is the mecca and i'll  get there eventually.  These fights were in the early 2000s and were part of nhb/mma cards.  we did three 2 minute rds.  some of the fights were underground out in the middle of field and these were truly anything goes.  broke a thumb, almost lost my left eye, it was more fun than a guy should have with a pair of sticks.  at the moment, I've got eric taimanglo in colorado springs who is gracious to give me a beating whenever I ask for it.  Yeah, I love the stickfighting.  I like to refer to it as play time for grown ups.

hang cool
Darrin

dcoe

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2012, 09:04:08 AM »
How does everyone prepare for the gathering? Personally, I've been working more cardio and strength than usual, and trying to put an edge on my ground work... though in reality, that's all coming with taking my normal training to the next level. Do you more seasoned fellas have a specific ritual in the month or two leading up to a gathering?

I'm doing a lot of cardio, partner work, and weighted training.  every other day I'm trying to do all of my basics with either dumb bells or aerobic exercise bars (weighted at 6 lbs a piece).  I try to be real creative in ways to integrate footwork with striking.  For instance, using weighted sticks strike and bounce a swiss fit ball and chase it around for 2 minute rounds.  very good cardio/footwork drill.  On my off days I'm trying to do just cardio using my regular fight sticks.  now if I could just quit eating ice cream, chips, and cookies . .... .

Darrin Coe

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2012, 09:08:48 AM »
gibby,

generally, what's holding me back is having a mortgage, a wife, and four kids.  it's tough to justify a plane ticket and a hotel, but I'm working on it.

I have actually had six in ring reality dog brothers style stickfights but the gathering is the mecca and i'll  get there eventually.  These fights were in the early 2000s and were part of nhb/mma cards.  we did three 2 minute rds.  some of the fights were underground out in the middle of field and these were truly anything goes.  broke a thumb, almost lost my left eye, it was more fun than a guy should have with a pair of sticks.  at the moment, I've got eric taimanglo in colorado springs who is gracious to give me a beating whenever I ask for it.  Yeah, I love the stickfighting.  I like to refer to it as play time for grown ups.

hang cool
Darrin

Roger that Darrin, I hear ya on the $$.  Taimanglo is a beast-- next time you fight him just tell him to quit "checking-in" on FB when he is at the gym, it is depressing...LOL

The NHB stuff is awesome, I would do it in a second- when I was younger, fighting in TJ (Tijuana) for a few bucks was the thing...

Take care and hope to see you at a gathering in the future!
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

dcoe

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2012, 09:38:09 AM »
gibby,

the cool thing about taimanglo is he's a humble beast.  He's a ton of fun to work with and learn from. 

Darrin

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2012, 11:09:50 AM »
gibby,

the cool thing about taimanglo is he's a humble beast.  He's a ton of fun to work with and learn from. 

Darrin

He was humble when we mentioned him putting someone in the hospital at dinner after the gathering...I would prefer to know him in a purely social setting, i.e. stickless- lol
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

dcoe

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2012, 11:18:48 AM »
one of the reasons I want to go to the gathering is to try various types of footwork structures against different opponents.  arnis de mano baston galang miyahara has a rather unique footwork structure and I want to test it against a variety of opponents.  Galang Miyahara also operates best at outer ranges of combat (weapons, largo, and some medio) and I want to see how it adapts to other distance structures.  Anyway, comments on footwork and distancing are always given lots of thought.

Darrin Coe

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2012, 10:29:09 PM »
one of the reasons I want to go to the gathering is to try various types of footwork structures against different opponents.  arnis de mano baston galang miyahara has a rather unique footwork structure and I want to test it against a variety of opponents.  Galang Miyahara also operates best at outer ranges of combat (weapons, largo, and some medio) and I want to see how it adapts to other distance structures.  Anyway, comments on footwork and distancing are always given lots of thought.

Darrin Coe

Very cool Darrin...My goal is/was to test my training in the most "alive" situation that I could find...I have also just idolized Crafty and the others since I was like 19.  My system (Kara-Ho Kempo) teaches many weapons but not the stick(s), we do teach "club defenses" to defend against a stick armed attacker but they seem ineffective for me at least, having faced skilled arnis/escrima folks.  My focus is going to be effective low-line kicks and my iron broom sweep :)

Good luck with keeping distance at the Gathering, nearly every fight seems to go to the clinch and/or ground.
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2012, 10:59:05 PM »
You have identified here something that in my opinion is very important-- the skill of maintaining striking range.

In DBMA we call this ST. FOOM which is an acronym for Stay The Fornicate Off Of Me.

dcoe

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2012, 10:19:51 AM »
You have identified here something that in my opinion is very important-- the skill of maintaining striking range.

In DBMA we call this ST. FOOM which is an acronym for Stay The Fornicate Off Of Me.

crafty, that is awesome.  my training partner and I were working this just last night.  Have been spending a lot of time examining and studying gathering videos, then we work the footwork: solo baston, doble baston, knife, stick and knife.  One of the things I expect to learn/work at the gathering is to get my opponent to get into my striking range without striking me.  There's wonderfully fun psychology around all of this and you don't really "get it" until you've played "live".  Last night I didn't play so good at a couple of points as indicated by the bruise developing on my left ear.  Anyway, I'm continuing to try to make "it a go" as far as getting to the gathering.

love and respect
Darrin Coe

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2012, 01:40:20 PM »
Though it is not shown in exactly that context, there is some subtle and advanced footwork shown in our DVD "The Bolo Game" that may be of use to you in playing a ST FOOM game.

JSworth

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2012, 03:56:02 PM »
I'm wondering, is anyone planning on going out there from the Hemet area that might be interested in carpooling? As much as I want to I'm not going to be able to fight this year, got home from the in-laws to find my place had been robbed, but would love to at least be able to watch a few fights.

BTW what kind of crack head steals a fencing mask, some gloves, and a bunch of sticks?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2012, 04:30:35 PM »
Surf Dog, who is retired from fighting, lives in Hemet.  Fu Dog and Beowulf, who do fight, are in Moreno Valley.

JSworth

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2012, 04:44:13 PM »
Surf Dog, who is retired from fighting, lives in Hemet.  Fu Dog and Beowulf, who do fight, are in Moreno Valley.

Thank you for the advice.

dcoe

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2012, 10:50:59 AM »
I'm wondering, is anyone planning on going out there from the Hemet area that might be interested in carpooling? As much as I want to I'm not going to be able to fight this year, got home from the in-laws to find my place had been robbed, but would love to at least be able to watch a few fights.

BTW what kind of crack head steals a fencing mask, some gloves, and a bunch of sticks?

ok, that's just plain odd.  I would feel a big hole in my chest if I lost my fight equipment.  it's just terrible strange.

Darrin Coe

JSworth

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2012, 11:52:56 PM »

ok, that's just plain odd.  I would feel a big hole in my chest if I lost my fight equipment.  it's just terrible strange.

Darrin Coe

No joke. They didn't even take my DBMA DVDs to go with it. At least if they had done that it would make sense.

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2012, 06:02:33 PM »
Suspiciously little activity on this thread...?

B U M P
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2012, 08:11:21 PM »
We are two months out  :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Accomodations
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2012, 11:44:54 AM »
Folks:

We're starting to get some inquiries about accomodations near the location (Gokor's place once again).

Would folks familiar with the area start to chime in please?

Also, remember you use the search function to find the thread for last year's Gathering too.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2012, 05:01:16 PM »
We're only three weeks from the Euro Gg, whereas we are nearly ten weeks from the Open Gathering. 

Last year we had sixty two fighters.

BTW, there is NO submission of fighter registrations at the door!!! We have too busy a day to be dealing with that.

Vigilant Dog

• View Profile
    • Guro Dirk
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2012, 06:09:46 PM »
Looking to add 2-3 more dances to my card.

2 single stick matches

Tomahawk vs ? (will be bringing 2 black high density poly hawks if they are allowed?)

knife vs knife

Dirk Eichstaedt
DBMA training grp leader, Minnesota

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2012, 06:27:49 PM »
Weapons choices are up to the fighters  8-)

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2012, 08:47:25 PM »
Im in the process of trying to buy my first home, however schedule permitting I'll be there in support-  Im thinking Im done fighting..  But I may surprise y'all sometimes.   As long as there's med supplies in my bag, I'm there to be of service if desired but most of all to support and defend the strength of the tribe 8-)
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2012, 09:47:39 PM »
I've heard its a good time to buy  :-D

The day comes for each of us when it is time to save what we have left to be ready for fights that matter.  When that is is up to you.

We'd be honored to have you once again as our medic.

dcoe

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2012, 10:36:56 AM »
I'm still working on getting to the gathering.  not going to register until I know that I can be there for sure.  Still training as if I'll be there.  To participate in a gathering will allow me to cross off one of the items on my martial arts bucket list.  If I can make it I'll be interested in single stick, double stick, and stick/knife.  I'm looking to fight as often as possible and not die or be disabled (mentally or physically).  btw, what time do festivities start and about when do they wrap up?

peace and respect
Darrin Coe

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2012, 08:47:45 PM »
They start at 11:00 and finish when people are done fighting.

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2012, 09:52:10 PM »

We'd be honored to have you once again as our medic.

I'd like to believe that you're "Guiding Force" will lead to a Tribe of medically skilled responders, thanks to the great Camps.  Plenty to share and I just might get to watch more fights ;)

Woof TCCC refresher classes at Tribals

HHH 8)
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2012, 10:15:13 PM »
Dirk, I will dance with you...I have no idea what that version of the tomahawk looks/feels like but I'll step out...

Please tell me you are a big fat out of shape guy though...LOL
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

Quiet Dog

• View Profile
    • Coast Executive Services
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2012, 09:50:21 AM »
Dirk,

I'm up for a knife fight.

Miguel

Vigilant Dog

• View Profile
    • Guro Dirk
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2012, 07:34:19 AM »
Gibby, I am a big fat guy who eats quarts of hagen daz ice cream and sits on the couch for hrs watching tv  :-D
Gibby and Quiet Dog, I would be honored to dance with both of you..

Looking for 1-2 single stick dances.
Dirk Eichstaedt

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2012, 08:59:35 PM »
Dang, just saw Guro Dirk on FB... Just as well I never turn down a fight and look forward to the growth that comes with it-

I might as well just fight Taimanglo then Mongolian Dog again...My health insurance at my new job starts 09/01 so I am good...
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2012, 10:57:07 PM »
 :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2012, 05:45:28 PM »
Woof All:

I would like to put out there the fact that Pretty Kitty and I were rather irked at last year's Open Gathering by the number of people who were trying to sneak video of the fights.

In the old days cameras and video cameras were readily distinguishable.  Now they are not.  We always were fine with people taking fotos, but now we find we must give serious consideration to a no private camera policy, perhaps with a pro photographer there taking pictures for sale later.

Crafty Dog

C-Yo Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2012, 07:08:33 PM »
Woof All:

I would like to put out there the fact that Pretty Kitty and I were rather irked at last year's Open Gathering by the number of people who were trying to sneak video of the fights.

In the old days cameras and video cameras were readily distinguishable.  Now they are not.  We always were fine with people taking fotos, but now we find we must give serious consideration to a no private camera policy, perhaps with a pro photographer there taking pictures for sale later.

Crafty Dog

Just got done reading the newsletter and saw this post. Maybe only fighters can take pictures? I'm sure that someone standing in line that has 10 fights before him wouldn't mind taking a few pics for the people fighting? Just a thought. Also, what will be the policy on shoes? I know last year everyone was made to go barefoot because of marking the mats. I wear wrestling shoes, I know wrestling shoes don't mark the mats. I did however see some people wearing chuck taylors.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:30:54 PM by C-Yo Dog »

Gong Fu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »
I think it is a shame that people are trying to sneak in cameras and tape the fights  :x

@C-Yo Dog: How do you want to judge if a new Fighter is taking pictures or filming? On the day of the Gathering Guro Crafty and Pretty Kitty have so much stuff to do, how should they than also check the audience/fighters?
A professional photographer is a really good solution. For a couple of bucks everybody can purchase a DVD with all the pictures.

C-Yo Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2012, 12:24:19 PM »
I think it is a shame that people are trying to sneak in cameras and tape the fights  :x

@C-Yo Dog: How do you want to judge if a new Fighter is taking pictures or filming? On the day of the Gathering Guro Crafty and Pretty Kitty have so much stuff to do, how should they than also check the audience/fighters?
A professional photographer is a really good solution. For a couple of bucks everybody can purchase a DVD with all the pictures.

@Gong Fu Dog, good point. I was thinking it would really limit who had the cameras if ONLY the fighters on the mat were allowed cameras out. But like you said, you couldn't tell if they're filming or taking pics. Day of fights I know NO fighter will wanna have to be thinking of policing, their mind will be on fighting. I think being able to buy a dvd with pics is a great idea.

If not a pro photographer then maybe any tribe members who will be there, who aren't fighting could be on the mat and if you want pics of your fight, you give your camera to them? If you don't like the quality of their picture taking skills then you can just get in line and talk about it. :)

c - Shadow Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • jkd concepts
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2012, 06:49:54 PM »
What if we had a group of starving artist oil painters. 

and after every fight you get a landscape/portrat with you and your brother   :mrgreen:

DDF

« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2012, 10:00:31 AM »
I like the idea of a pro photographer... great pics. I like C Yo Dog´s idea too of having other fighters take photos. I don´t think the audience always gets why the rules are what they are.

Having said that, I almost certainly won´t be making this Open due to work. I wish it weren´t so, but it is what it is. I hope to have some time off in a year. We´ll see.

Best of luck to everyone.

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2012, 10:55:23 PM »
I would offer to take pics between fights but I will be outside smoking...lol
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2012, 08:56:17 AM »
I would offer to take pics between fights but I will be outside smoking...lol

:-D

Dr Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2012, 05:56:29 AM »
Plane tickets bought, officially "in"!
40 days and counting.
Looking forward to standing with the tribe.

Woof!

C Dr Dog

DDF

« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2012, 09:00:49 PM »
Plane tickets bought, officially "in"!
40 days and counting.
Looking forward to standing with the tribe.

Woof!

C Dr Dog

Wish I was there. It´d be fun for round two. Have fun.

JT

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
Woof ALL!!

Sent my fighter's form in for the Gathering. Fun times and great experiences to come.

WOOF!!

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2012, 06:49:46 PM »
Sorry to hear that Dax, glad you will still be there though...Last year I bought some LaCrosse gloves off craigslist for $15- and the padding was soo thick it was hard to get a good grip on the stick- I also broke a finger (punching)anyway soo...

I will be wearing the KIL gloves this time.

James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2012, 07:17:23 AM »
Dax:

I will be back on the 24th.  Please feel free to give me a call then.

Saint Miki

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2012, 04:45:02 PM »
Howdy sports fans-

I'm curious for some 'authoritative' feedback on glove wear; I took a shot to the hand wearing the KIL gloves (with a padded stick) on Sunday and earned a major spiral fracture to the 3rd metacarpal - surgery scheduled for tomorrow to get a full recovery in time for the Gathering.

I'd rather not go through this again if possible, so I will be working on keeping my hands closer to the body - but I'm also wondering if I can get guidance on some acceptable lacrosse gloves before shelling out a ton of cash, only to find they can't be used in the Gathering.  I earn my living through my fingers, so I'd really like to take acceptable precaution to prevent similar damage...any links or model name/number would be appreciated.

Cheers,
dax

Is than an issue, that there are certain kinds of padding or protective gear that isn't allowed at the gathering? I have a pair of STX lacrosse gloves that absolutely do the job of protecting my hands without taking the sting away from a well-placed shot.

Also, I think the idea of having a professional photographer on hand and selling discs with the photos afterward is a great idea. In truth, my experiences with giving cameras to fellow fighters only turns out blurry and poor quality shots, and I would really appreciate the opportunity to bring something like that home after the Gathering! :3

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2012, 01:31:29 AM »
My son played lacrosse for a couple of years so I have a sense of what they are like.   My sense is that for sparring many models are wonderful but for a Gathering there are many versions which are a bit too protective for a Gathering but there are some which would be OK.  Until I see the gloves I cannot give a definitive answer.

Vigilant Dog

• View Profile
    • Guro Dirk
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »
Being a noob myself I will be bringing several pairs of gloves just in case. I have a pair of mylex elite street hockey and stx rival lacrosse gloves that I am hoping will fit the bill (the stx ones are the closest to kil I could find).
I do like the idea of a professional photographer on site, if he has a website (or use DBMA site?) he could give out numbers to the fighters and post the pics online for purchase.

Still looking for some single stick dances if anyone is interested.
Dirk Eichstaedt

jcordova

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2012, 07:00:03 PM »
Dirk, ill go single with you :-D.  But first I hope I can make it :-)

H.M.

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2012, 05:07:56 PM »
I see no one has really commented on the question of accommodations near the Gathering site.

IMHO, the city of Burbank would be the place to stay.  Has its own airport with car rentals, decent hotels and motels, its own police force, a mid/upper-mid income population and is only 10 mins from Gokor's.

Van Nuys, where Gokor's is, would NOT be the place to stay.

If anyone needs more specific help with accommodations, PU from the airport (do Burbank, NOT LAX!), or general info, let me know and I'll help you out. 

H.M.