Author Topic: How to fight fat people  (Read 22961 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
How to fight fat people
« on: March 09, 2012, 07:01:28 PM »
Question presented:

How to fight fat people?

a) Fight already underway
b) Dominance games
c) LEO/CO/Bouncer issues

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: How to fight fat people
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 07:10:42 PM »
To quote a certain zombie movie: "Cardio".

Like anything, it depends. Try to use your strengths against your opponent's weaknesses.

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 09:16:52 AM »
Question presented:

How to fight fat people?

a) Fight already underway
b) Dominance games
c) LEO/CO/Bouncer issues

The answer to (c) in my day was: With numerical superiority  :-) And get them as close to a door before anything kicked off as possible (though that should be true for most scenarios.

stilljames

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:02:56 PM »
To some extent, the question is: how fat is fat?  As someone born in The South, there are corn fed country farm boys who look something like competitors to Worlds Strongest Man With Biggest Beer Gut and there are Beached Whales.

Without question the fat but strong guys are the most dangerous. My experience is that they also generally come with a rock for a skull.  These are the people that you can beat on all day and only hurt your hand.

In the dominance game, don't let them make body contact unless you are sure of mechanical advantage.  If you can push them back or bounce them, fine.  Otherwise, keep sidestepping with a smile and totally unconcerned expression on your face.  The strong, fat aggressor is almost always used to getting his way physically.  It is imperative to take him out of his game, either through timed strength or fancy footwork.

If the fight is underway, it depends on the level of seriousness.  For VERY serious, throat and eyeball don't get much protection from being fat. Neither does the hinge of the jaw.

For Beached Whales, avoid being the pancake.

I have found that for both types of fat people, dropping them with a fast clavicle or clavicular notch fish hook can defuse the situation without causing permanent injury.

JSworth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 12:23:44 AM »
To quote a certain zombie movie: "Cardio".

Like anything, it depends. Try to use your strengths against your opponent's weaknesses.

That's probably true most of the time, but there is always the chance that you will come across a fat guy like me that jogs a 5k three times a week. I'm talking about the cardio part of course.

Tony Torre

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
because of structural disadvantages fat people (strong fat or beached whale) don't pivot well.  I say footwork is key here. 

Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group
www.miamiarnisgroup.com

stilljames

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 11:42:14 AM »
A few weeks ago, I had the fortune to work with a friendly, strong and fat man at a seminar on several occasions.  Aside from  making a new friend, I was able to keep this topic from the forum in mind while working with him.  Of interest to me was the mechanics of punching him in the core of his body.  Topping well over 300 pounds at 5'10' of height,  this is one of the heaviest people I have trained with in a relaxed setting. One thing I noticed was that by the time my fist reached the abdominal muscles and organs beneath the fat, there was a rebounding shockwave already traveling back up my arm that tried to force me back into my heels.

Obviously, we can always punch to the head and throat and 'soft' targets.  But specifically for the mechanics of hitting through all that flab and muscle to get an effect, I found it similar to doing a speed break against a hanging board.  I had to punch very fast, very deep and snap back even faster to leave all the energy in the target without it coming back into my elbow.  In some ways, it also reminded me of proper wooden dummy work.  I was able to get an effect through all the tissue very much like a punch grenade.  I would land the punch.  Nothing. Then, 3 seconds later.. groan. 

Interesting chance to study the practical side of the mechanics.  Much thanks to my friend, Jeff, who let me experiment on him.   

Any other similar experiences?