Author Topic: Dark symbolism in the Martial Arts  (Read 6383 times)

Lloyd De Jongh

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
Dark symbolism in the Martial Arts
« on: April 24, 2016, 10:51:30 PM »
There is a recent trend towards the darker end of the violence spectrum. There is a popularity in training that emphasises the skill and mindset of the criminally minded.

This has value. I've learned a great deal in my investigations, however I am seeing a failure to detach from this mindset at the end of the day, rather I'm seeing an absorption into criminal culture. And what has started as a way to differentiate as counterculture has morphed to become dark symbolism, with death cult and even occasional Satanic leanings.

Hot lead poisoning is the appropriate answer to some of the bad people in the world, however I also believe warriors must have virtue. Adopting the mindset of evil people without balance allows toxic thoughts to infect minds, to remain unpurged. I've seen people go bad, it starts subtly at first as the slow normalisation of deviance. I don't see it as psychologically healthy, or a positive trend.

Any thoughts from you on this?

Two recent examples:
http://imgur.com/rFgREME
http://imgur.com/lI1adMo

My freedom is more important than your good idea.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Dark symbolism in the Martial Arts
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 08:21:58 AM »
There is a recent trend towards the darker end of the violence spectrum. There is a popularity in training that emphasises the skill and mindset of the criminally minded.

This has value. I've learned a great deal in my investigations, however I am seeing a failure to detach from this mindset at the end of the day, rather I'm seeing an absorption into criminal culture. And what has started as a way to differentiate as counterculture has morphed to become dark symbolism, with death cult and even occasional Satanic leanings.

Hot lead poisoning is the appropriate answer to some of the bad people in the world, however I also believe warriors must have virtue. Adopting the mindset of evil people without balance allows toxic thoughts to infect minds, to remain unpurged. I've seen people go bad, it starts subtly at first as the slow normalisation of deviance. I don't see it as psychologically healthy, or a positive trend.

Any thoughts from you on this?

Two recent examples:
http://imgur.com/rFgREME
http://imgur.com/lI1adMo

We live in the burning times. Much ofthe country has lost it's moral core, and it's grasp of reality. Bad things fester in that void.

Lloyd De Jongh

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:12:04 AM »
I'm a little lost on how the Satanic Bible made its way into a discussion on Martial Arts, as in the linked image. For me that's a first. It's a slippery slope and it's all downhill. My concern is the kind of minds and attitudes now expressing themselves, and where this will lead.
My freedom is more important than your good idea.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 05:58:53 AM »
I'm a little lost on how the Satanic Bible made its way into a discussion on Martial Arts, as in the linked image. For me that's a first. It's a slippery slope and it's all downhill. My concern is the kind of minds and attitudes now expressing themselves, and where this will lead.

What you see ion martial arts is a microcosm of the much larger social pathologies taking place.

Maul Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 08:38:05 AM »
The darkness has always been there. Some have chosen to shine light on it. However, I agree, it can be a slippery slope and can attract dubious individuals losing themselves in the criminal mindset. In some places of the World, this is needed. In others, not to such an extreme. It goes back to the idea of: stare too much into the abyss, it will stare back. I hope to never become the monster I need to be to eliminate the threat. However, having "dark tools" in my toolbox, is not bad for me. Find a balance.

Regarding the picture of the satanic bible with the hands over it, is more of a statement or perspective of what that individual experienced. His reaction to it. I was working with this individual during that weekend seminar. Why he chose that picture to express himself instead of something else, is because of his view on the violence we learned. It was evil for him.

Keep your morals, keep your goodness, and evil shall not consume you.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 11:47:07 PM »
OTOH when we look into the void, it looks into us as well. (Nietzche?)

DDF

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 09:23:20 AM »
I have never met someone who could not justify their violence with their particular moral code.... not even once... not from either "side."

There is no "good" nor "bad." Things just are.