Author Topic: What Styles do you Blend into your Kali?  (Read 13552 times)

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
What Styles do you Blend into your Kali?
« on: September 05, 2007, 10:06:28 AM »
It seem's like I run into alot of people that blend their Kali into something and use that instead of Empty hand Kali..

Example

I use Kali FootWork, Concepts, Stick Work and Some Dumog but instead of the empty hand I go with Switch Boxing, Some Aikido and then BJJ for the ground work...

For Stick and Knife Just Kali

And I was wondering if anyone here practices Kenjutsu?

So...Just wondering what everyone here blends

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
Re: What Styles do you Blend into your Kali?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 09:04:28 PM »
On the flip side, I try to blend everything with/into my empty hand skills. 
 :wink:
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 03:00:52 PM »
Well thank you for answering =)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 04:51:50 PM »
My empty hand striking is principally Kali-Silat, with basic Jun Fan KK/MT, boxing, savate, thrown in.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 05:02:52 PM »
@ Crafty

I thought you did Bjj?

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 06:10:24 PM »
Hi Maxx,
You asked about Kenjutstu. One of the arts I train is Toyama Ryu Battodo which contains partner practice as one section of it's curriculum. It also puts a large emphasis on Tamashegiri (target cutting with live blades).
Also, your question about combining your Kali with other arts. I've always thought of Sonny Umpad's VCKE as a system of strategy more than anything else. Undoubtedly his art is Filipino, but his ideas mount onto so many other arts that the underlying concepts can seemingly take anything up another notch. My training partners come from very varied backgrounds, Western Boxing, Jiu Jutsu, Wing Chun among others, and every one of them has benefited from Sonny's Eskrima.
The Bagua I train interconnects very smoothly with the empty hand concepts in Eskrima, hands and feet.
It will seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.
Miyamoto Musashi.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 09:25:52 PM »
Max:

Which is why I said "EH striking"   :-)

yip!
CD

sgtmac_46

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 08:41:04 PM »
I train Boxing/Muay Thai with my Kali striking, and then I throw in BJJ and Judo in for grappling.

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 09:17:16 PM »
the way of no way  :mrgreen:

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 10:09:11 AM »
@ maija

I have been studying and taking private lessons for Shinkendo , I don't know if you ever heard of it. (www.Shinkendo.Com) It means Serious Sword or true sword way. I can't stress how awesome this art is. If you ever have a chance check it out...I am a big fan of the Old Sword way's of the Japanese Arts..That's why I asked to see if I was alone here.

Where abouts in the world are you?

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 04:47:49 PM »
Maxx,
My Toyama Ryu teacher is Sensei Mike Esmialzadeh. He trained for many years with Obata Sensei, from when he first came to the States, and is a high ranking black belt in this system. He has his own school here in Oakland CA. You can see their website at: Suigetsukan.org
I teach out of this school too (VCKE and Bagua), and because Sensei Mike E is also a teacher of Aikido, Jiujutsu and Inayan Eskrima he is fabulous to cross train with and get his insights into the connections (and differences) between different arts, ideas and cultures.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 04:10:00 PM by maija »
It will seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.
Miyamoto Musashi.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 10:21:32 AM »
@ maija -  I have been getting lesson's from Masaji Saito Sensei who is a Instructor under Obata Sensei...He is a really great man and I have nothing but massive respect for both men...My studies now have taken me to my first Kantana that was a total of 2,500 but it was a great buy and I feel good when I weild it..

I have a friend that practices Western Sword fighting....We just went at it not to long ago and I creamed him..He was learning western Swordfighting for about 4 years and it was almost like cake..I guess I have been paying attention  :-D

san_86

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 12:44:14 PM »
Ive been lucky to have some great teachers in several different systems that I incorporate into my training. Judo, Ju Jitsu, kickboxing, wrestling and Eskrima. I was also fortunate enough to have Maestro Umpad  help me to blend it all together.  After thirty years of training and ten years of bouncing I can honestly say the most effective striking Ive found for street fighting is......Karate.  Old fashion hard style Karate. The kind you used to be able to find here up to the early 80s when lawsuits turned most schools into kata commando training.

If trained well, its simple, powerful and easy to do under stress. Combine that with a good base from judo and wrestling and you will be a handful for anyone. I know its not in vogue, but sometimes newer isnt always better..kettlebells anyone?

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 01:13:47 PM »
Kata Commando??  lmfao!

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 10:03:14 AM »
Bringing up a thread from six years ago?

A big doggie treat for bigdog!  :lol: