Author Topic: DBMA News  (Read 12926 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DBMA News
« on: November 30, 2013, 06:41:38 PM »
Woof All:

Herewith a thread for updates on developments in DBMA.

Of late I have been working on

a)DBMA Clinch Game:  I've come up with what I regard as a rather nifty matrix of positions and transitions suitable both for MMA and DLO;

b) Bolo Loop Two:  In "The Bolo Game" DVD I should a couple of loops.  In the last couple of months, Loop #2 has been revealing some of its secrets to me (there is now a seguida progession that I like a lot) and I have developed a progression for taking this loop from stick to "Kali Tudo" (tm) that first goes through some focus mitt work that incorporates the DBMA 1-to-1 principle as it brings out the empty hand expression of the Loop Two. 

Understanding the bolo punch is more important than may be obvious because of its role in countering the elevation drop and shoot.

Once Bolo Loop Two's KT expression is understood, then it is inserted into the "Time Machine" structure wherein the near hand plays Kalimba Game and the outer hand plays Bolo Game.   

Time Machine is showing excellent results.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
If you were , , , would you , , ,
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 07:58:26 AM »
If you were stuck in this,

http://m.ksl.com/index/story/sid/27951404?mobile_direct=y

would you have some of these in your vehicle?

http://dogbrothersgear.com/Survival-Gear/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DBMA Chicago's Dog Carlos Flores
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 03:37:02 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Joe Dix
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 08:23:37 PM »
Just finished up three enjoyable days working with Joe Dix. This is his sixth time flying out from MA to train with me. Joe has a remarkable ability to take a goodly stretch of rather dense material and then work it solo for 10-15 minutes and then replicate it. This enables me to share more dense material with him.

Not only do I know what my eyes tell me, I also saw the two fighters he trained who fought at the DB Canadian Gathering this past year. An easy call for me to promote him from DBMA Group Leader to DBMA Instructor.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Upcoming seminars
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 05:24:06 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Tony Fryklyn
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 07:11:38 PM »
Gym buddy Tony Fryklyn saw me doing some exercises with two 8 lb shot puts last week and asked to play with them a bit. Very interesting! So when he saw me today he asked me to join in his wrestling class as a guest instructor and show how to use the puts as a training aid. Frankly, I did next to nothing (even with a healthy shoulder I would not come close to what TF is coming up) but it was awesome to watch him work the concept. As his training partner he chose a guy with a substantial northern gung fu background and showed him how to use the shot puts as a tool to understanding how to apply his kung fu to MMA grappling. VERY cool to be a fly on the wall! Anyway, he and I are making noise about making a download of the material.

The Adventure continues!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: DBMA News
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 07:43:45 PM »
One of my good gym buddies is Tony Fryklund.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Fryklund

He was intrigued by some things he saw me doing with shot puts (this has been really good in my rehab of my separated shoulder) so I gave him a few ideas and turned him loose to experiment. He became quite enthused and came up with a whole bunch of things more oriented to MMA clinch whereas my routine is more oriented to "Kali Tudo"

He suggested I come by his MMA wrestling class the next day with the shot puts and we worked on some interesting things. I was very impressed with how the training method instantly improved the power and fluidity of one's clinch movement.

So I lent him my 8s (and have been working with my 6s and 4s instead) and he has been working things out for a couple of weeks.

The plan is to shoot the first of a series of training clips next week and have it available for download not too long after that.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 09:10:10 PM »
Woof All!

We have started a Facebook page dedicated to the Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association. This is where we will post information regarding the Association, Seminars, Camps and such. It will be used to compliment this "group" which is already in place. This group will continue to be used for discussion and the like! If you haven't already please "like" the page! WOOF!

https://www.facebook.com/dogbrothersmartialarts
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DBMA Shot Put Training Method downloads coming soon
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 05:06:50 PM »
Woof All:

As many/most of you know, Pekiti Tirisa Kali has been a fertile source of Dog Brothers, is one of the five main FMA systems influencing Inosanto Blend Kali, and is one of the three main FMA systems influencing Dog Brothers Martial Arts.   I am a member of the PTK family/tribe and have trained with GT Gaje various times, including at his home in Bacolod.

As some of you may know, GT Gaje has an ingenious method of training with shot puts to develop heavy hands and I wish to acknowledge the training I had with him in this regard.  The training is outstanding and is for him to share or not as he sees fit.

It is precisely this training that gave me the idea of working with shot puts as part of my rehab of my separated shoulder, but in a very different way.   As I began playing with them some ideas new to me revealed themselves in a way that has excited me tremendously.   In particular the method has developed my fluidity and power in DBMA's "Time Machine Game" both for sticks and Kali Tudo.

One of my good gym buddies is the recently retired MMA fighter Tony Fryklund.  Tony is a great guy and was a world class fighter who remains in elite shape.  He is very much a thinking fighter and I often run my "Kali Tudo" ideas by him as a reality check reference point.

He saw me working with the shot puts the last few months and one day asked me to show him some things.  Great athlete and martial artist that he is he naturally started coming up with some things that intrigued  the both of us greatly so he asked me to guest instruct at his MMA Wrestling class.  In point of fact he did the teaching as he went on a virtual creative rampage for the whole class exploring the shot puts as a training method.

This morning we shot the first of a series of Training Downloads involving the DBMA method of training with shot puts.  His training partner was "Jace", Tony Stratham's stunt man.   Today's shoot focused on some particulars for MMA grappling.  Jace was quite stoked and swore to order his own as soon as he got home.

The Adventure continues!
Marc/Guro Crafty

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 05:39:54 PM »
The next time I see you, shot put will be discussed (or at least asked about).

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 12:39:47 PM »
I look forward to it :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 10:18:37 PM »
Let the Howl go forth:

DBMA Instructor Antone Haley of Marin County, CA is now a “Black Dog Tag” Instructor.  This is one level below Guro.   Antone has been working closely with me for several years now.  To give an idea of the regard in which I hold him he was one of two men I used to be training partners for UFC bantamweight fighter Pedro Munhoz’s training sessions in “Kali Tudo” and has become my right hand man in government work.   I would add that his firearms work is such that he is allowed to participate in elite trainings where he is the only civilian there.  In his first Gathering of the Pack (2013 Open) he showed excellent technical skills, fighting spirit and Dog Brother spirit.

Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn is now Guro Guard Dog.  As most of you know, the number of people who I have taken to this level is short indeed.  Ryan started training with me eleven years ago and on his most recent visit to California I see that he has the level I look for.  Having a school of some 400 students has given him depth as a teacher.  That the school has major programs in MMA, kickboxing, and boxing, kickboxing, and MMA that have produced successful professionals is a big plus.  As a coach and teacher he “gets” nuances about how to teach DBMA  that most do not; his grasp of the Kali Tudo material is particularly strong and I enjoy bouncing ideas off him.   

The Adventure continues!
Guro Crafty