Author Topic: Fighting the Untrained...  (Read 15856 times)

JSworth

• View Profile
Fighting the Untrained...
« on: March 02, 2014, 08:44:35 AM »
I just watched a video that was posted on Eric Knaus's Facebook where he fought someone with no mask. First things first, the guy he fought should be glad he didn't catch one of his backhands... those things look like they'll kill you! But also it was interesting to watch because both fighters were being very cautious... you could tell they both had a great deal of respect for what would happen if they got hit. Because of this the fight had, in my opinion, a bit of a slower feel to it. This got me thinking "I wonder how different the fight would look if his opponent didn't have that respect... didn't understand that he can't just rush in and swing wildly". You could easily say that Eric would have just stepped back and let him have one of those backhands and that's all she wrote. Either way though I think the next time I'm sparring I'm going to ask my friend to try to emulate your typical street thug attack and see how I react to it. I figure if I ever have to defend myself that is the most likely scenario and so that's the one for which I want to be prepared.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting the Untrained...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 10:53:26 AM »
I wrote a Rambling Rumination which discussed the evolution of the head gear and other gear over the years not too long ago.  Does anyone remember which it was or where to find it?

JSworth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 12:14:45 PM »
Is this the post to which you are referring?

http://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index.php?topic=2438.0
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:20:03 PM by JSworth »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »
Yes, that is it.  Thank you.

Anyway, from the sounds of things you might want to have your role-playing opponent wear something more like a helmet.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:56:39 PM by Crafty_Dog »

JSworth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 06:57:46 PM »
Yes, that is it.  Thank you.

Anyway, from the sounds of things you might want to have your role-playing opponent wear something more like a helmet.

That's what I was thinking as well. I figure if nothing else it will help me make sure my foot work is in order. I have a class with Lester Griffin at his new school here in Hemet tomorrow night and I think it's something I may bring up with him and see what his thoughts are. Thank you for your input and advice as well.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 08:14:50 PM »
i always liked Lester's footwork.  Well integrated.

greg jah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 09:22:04 AM »

Either way though I think the next time I'm sparring I'm going to ask my friend to try to emulate your typical street thug attack and see how I react to it. I figure if I ever have to defend myself that is the most likely scenario and so that's the one for which I want to be prepared.

This is a great idea! Another scenario you may find useful is to get together with two or three training partners. Everyone gears up, and the fight starts with you walking past one of them. Then one (or more - you won't know) will move into an unprovoked attack. The attack can (and should) look different each time your run the scenario - it could begin with words and escalate to shoving and fighting, it could begin with an innocent question ("do you have the time?") and then move into the attack.

The key is that you don't know in advance how many people you will be dealing with (this is something they will work out among themselves and you will not be part of the conversation). It could be an attack by one person, that escalates into a two on one or three on one....or it could just stay one on one...or it could be multiple attackers versus you from the start. Also, some of them may be carrying knives or other weapons. Again - you won't know.

One important thing to work out in advance is that everyone is clear what you are fighting for, and when the drill ends. When my teacher and I train drills like this, we fight to get away. The drill ends when the fighter either gets away, clearly can't get away, or is "killed."

Train hard and be safe,

Greg