Dog Brothers Public Forum
Return To Homepage
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 05:07:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the Dog Brothers Public Forum.
79174 Posts in 2226 Topics by 1037 Members
Latest Member: DCoutinho
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Dog Brothers Public Forum
|-+  DBMA Martial Arts Forum
| |-+  Martial Arts Topics
| | |-+  BBC to do a documentary film on Arnis
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: BBC to do a documentary film on Arnis  (Read 2961 times)
the Freeman
Guest
« on: January 14, 2004, 06:48:08 PM »

http://www.thefreeman.com/sports/index.php?fullstory=1&issue=articles_20040111&id=13926

BBC to do a documentary film on Arnis

by Emmanuel B. Villaruel
January 11, 2004

A DOCUMENTARY film on the traditional Filipino martial art of Arnis will once again be produced by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), a leading TV company based in London, said lawyer Dionisio Ca?ete, executive director and grandmaster of Doce Pares which has its main headquarters at Sto. Ni?o Village in Banilad, Cebu City.

Composed of film producer, director and cameraman, the BBC crew will arrive in Cebu on January 16 to shoot a four-day scheduled location filming.

As determined by the advance party which came on December 27 last year, the filming venues will include the 3-storey Doce Pares training center in Banilad, the Lapu-Lapu shrine in Mactan, the mountain view of Tops in Busay and a beach resort in Badian.

Ca?ete said he initially declined the proposal when made in November last year pointing that BBC had already produced a similar documentary film way back in 1982. The one-hour film which featured Doce Pares was shown in over 200 countries and was in fact cited as the singular reason that triggered the upsure of arnis worldwide.
In October 2002, the National Geographic and Discovery Channels came to Cebu to produce their own documentary film also featuring Doce Pares.

Ca?ete said that other arnis groups should instead be given the opportunity to be featured as there are also well known clubs and organizations here in Cebu City.

But BBC executives would have none of the arguments as they made it clear that without Doce Pares, there is no complete arnis documentary.

Ca?ete said that while the BBC Executives agreed to take footage of some other groups, Doce Pares remains the main feature being the oldest and the most popular and for the fact that it is still being run by the childcren of its principal founder in January 1932, the late Eulogio Ca?ete, Sr.

BBC also pointed out that they will have a different presentation this time.

While in the 1982 version, they merely took shots of some Doce Pares typical training sessions which also included interviews of the top masters, this time the film will feature a BBC man relating his experience and observation as a student of the Doce Pares “multi-style” system of eskrima.

Grandmaster Ca?ete, together with the other recognized GM’s such as the 80-year-old Vicente Carin, Benjamin Culanag, Bonifacio “Loloy” Uy, Isidro Casio and Andres “Kano” Ca?ete will showcase the various components styles of the system, which coveres all ranges of eskrima fighting, Espada y Daga, empty hands, knife fighting, double stick and all the 12 Doce Pares forms.
Logged
the Freeman
Guest
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 06:53:53 PM »

World eskrima in LA come June

by Gabby Malagar
January 14, 2004

A world eskrima tournament will be held in Los Angeles, California and is tentatively set for June 12.

Eskrima grandmaster Ciriaco ‘Noy Cacoy’ Ca?ete said the schedule of the tournament could be reset depending on the decision of the organizers here.

Ca?ete said he is leaving for the United States in May and will attend the world tournament as well as conduct a series of seminars in both the West and East coasts.

While here in Cebu, Ca?ete said he will write a book on eskrido, a sports discipline combining eskrima and judo, which he is going to improvise or make some innovations.

Meanwhile, Ca?ete said that he did not promote any Doce Pares member to a rank higher in their annual induction held the other day at their headquarters along C. Padilla street, this city.

During the induction in which RTC Judge Anacleto Caminade was the guest speaker and the inducting officer, the Doce Pares members wowed the crowd who attended the affair by performing exhibitions on almost all types of martial arts they learned while training under Ca?ete.

http://www.thefreeman.com/sports/index.php?fullstory=1&issue=articles_20040114&id=14038
Logged
Gojitsuman
Guest
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 08:06:16 PM »

Will this be shown here in the U.S.
Logged
the Freeman
Guest
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 07:18:47 PM »

South Korea, Hong Kong confirm entry in World Arnis Championships

January 16, 2004

— with Sona Mae V. Povadora

IN what could be a major boost to the growing popularity of arnis worldwide, South Korea and Hong Kong have confirmed their participation for the first time to the 2004 World Arnis Championships slated from June 23 to 25 at the SM-City Cebu.

“I could hardly believe it because these countries are known for their own forms of martial arts with Korea being the home of taekwondo and Hong Kong for kung fu,” said lawyer Dionisio Ca?ete, president emeritus of the World Eksrima Kali Arnis Federation (WEKAF).

“This just shows that arnis is getting more popular and widely accepted as a unique form of martial worldwide,” added Ca?ete, who is also the executive director of the Sto. Ni?o Village, Banilad-based Doce Pares International.

Ca?ete said he is expecting 500 arnisadors from 20 to 25 countries around the globe to join the WEKAF-sanctioned event.

With the multitude of foreign visitors coming in for the event, Ca?ete is planning to tie up with the Cebu Visitors and Convention Bureau (CVCB), apparently, in response to the unsolicited advice by sportsman Antonio “Bidoy” L. Aldeguer to drum up the event not only as a martial arts competition, but likewise as a tourist attraction.

In yesterday’s SCOOP-Forum at the Baseline Restaurant, Ca?ete brought along with him arnis practitioners in US-based Ramon Rubia, Frans Stroeven of Holland and Horst Eckert of Germany, who are all very appreciative to the ancient Filipino form of martial art.

“I like arnis because it is the most complete form of martial art. Everything is there,” said Stroeven, adding that the unique use of weapons in arnis is the most distinct characteristic that differentiates the RP’s national sport to other forms of martial arts.

Unlike the other martial arts, arnis is comprehensive. It covers all ranges of fighting. It covers weapon fighting such as knife, long blade and stick, bolo/sword. While the open hands fighting includes punch and kick (sumbag patid), locking and immobilization (lubag torse), and throwing and grappling (layog dumog).

With a large number of participants seeing action, WEKAF divided the tournament into the WEKAF World Championship, and the World Invitational Tournament.

The WEKAF World Open Championship will only accept high calibrated arnisadors or those who have earned championship titles in their country.

There are two divisions in the Open championship, Sparring or Full Contact and Forms or Sayaw.

Sparring will be categorized into single and double stick, it is also divided into 14 weight Men’s division, Women’s, Men’s Senior and Men’s Junior. While the Forms will consist of the Traditional or classical and Open event.

Aside from title holder arnisadors, there are also players coming that are not qualified to compete in the Open championships. With this they will have the oppurtunity to participate in the Invitational event which unfolds on the 27th of June. Although the venue will still have to be decided either in Lapu-Lapu, Mandaue or at the Mango Square.

It is ironic that the United States of America has the biggest delegation so far with 120 arnisadors coming in the country for the one week event, while the host and the founding country, Philippines, will only have 60 participants.

“It’s just so sad that we have Filipino scholars training for the art for free but are not taking it seriously. We have this colonial mentality, what we want is taekwondo and karate,” said Canete during an interview.

Joining the wagon are European countries like England, Ireland, Holland, Belgium, Hungary, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Norway and France. Also confirming their participation are Canada, Australia, South Africa, Puerto rico, Mexico, New Zeland, India, Korea and Hong Kong.

The coaching staff of Doce Pares has yet to determine the final arnisadors to complete the 60 slots as there are still two qualifying tournaments set on January 25 at the Punta Princesa Sports Complex and on February 22 at the Banilad Sports Complex.
Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!