Author Topic: Recommendations for book on history of Philippines?  (Read 11229 times)

Anonymous

Recommendations for book on history of Philippines?
« on: July 02, 2003, 08:33:20 AM »
Hello all,

I was reading the Wall Street Journal today and on page B1 there is an article titled "In 1901 Philippines, Peace Cost More Lives Than Were Lost in War".  It made me realize that I have only a limited overview of the history of the islands.  Are there any books out there that are a good read and give a decent picture of the history over time?  I have seen some pretty in-depth discussion on this forum, I am thinking more of an intro. sort of book for a guy who enjoys reading history stuff in general.  

Thanks in advance for any Suggestions,

Greg

bruiseseasily

• View Profile
log-in screwed up, message above is from bruiseseasily
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 08:36:25 AM »
Sorry, I thought I was logged in when I wrote the above question, my computer skills are as tentative as my stickfighting skills.

FilAmIam

• View Profile
Recommendations for book on history of Philippines?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 10:40:23 AM »
Bruise-
This is a great book on the history of the relationship that the U.S. & Philippines have had...it is very informative & well told; IN OUR IMAGE, America's Empire in the Philippines by Stanely Karnow.  It is a great book & easy read.  I highly recommend it & as a Filipino American it really was enlightening.

Enjoy,
Eric

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 12:10:04 PM by Crafty_Dog »

blindside

• View Profile
The Moro War Insurgency
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 05:27:56 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/The-Moro-War-Insurgency-Philippine/dp/1608190242/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_sims?ie=UTF8

This is a very in depth read on the various Moro war campaigns and analysis of successful and unsuccessful approaches, well worth your time.

Lamont
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 12:10:24 PM by Crafty_Dog »
The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
~ Theodore Roosevelt