Author Topic: DB in Mexico City  (Read 6397 times)

Poidog

• Power User
    • View Profile
DB in Mexico City
« on: March 15, 2004, 12:36:37 PM »
Hola,

I may be able to take advantage of an opportunity this summer to study spanish in Cuernevaca.  If I do, I was wondering if perhaps making weekend trips to Mexico City to study at the "Sistemas Integrados de Combate" would be a feasible option?  Anyone with any relevant experience/ideas, please feel free to offer any suggestions.  Mahalo in advance for any and all help.

Aloha, Kalani
Who dares wins - British SAS

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DB in Mexico City
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 10:40:57 AM »
Woof Kalani:

What a great idea!  Years ago (1974?  Ohmygod its been 30 years!) starting in Philadelphia my friend Bill and I wandered down to Mexico in his van.  As a C- high school Spanish student, I was the "interpreter" of the expedition and 5 minutes after we crossed into Mexico from Laredo Bill made an illegal turn and the police stopped us.  Uh oh.  A couple of minutes later I had paid my first bribe (?No podemso pagar la propina  :roll:  aqui?) and my fascination with Spanish and Mexico was born.

We continued on down to Cuernavaca (see, there was a point to the story) which is about an hour past Mexico City (a.k.a. "el DF/Distrito Federal") where we enrolled in one of the local language schools wherein pretty Mexican girls taught classes of 4 or less in the morning and in the afternoon we would go out and practice on the natives.  What great fun!

I imagine Cuernavaca has grown in the 30 years since then, but it was a very pleasant small city at an altitude that gave it a very agreeable climate year round.  About 4 hours futher south down a very winding road is Acapulco.  

The DF, and DBMA Apprentice Mauricio of "Sistemas Integrados de Combate" is about an hour north of Cuernavaca.  I was just with Mauricio for the second time a couple of weeks ago.  He is doing good work getting DBMA off the ground in the DF and is working on developing a sparring/fighting group.  I think you would add to your good times by checking him out.

Woof.
Crafty

========
Mauricio:

Kalani es miembro del grupo de Dogzilla en Hawaii, buen peleador y amigo nuestro.

Guro Marc

Anonymous

Estar? gustoso de recibirlo
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 10:06:22 AM »
Guau Marc.  :)

Gracias por la noticia, me alegra muco poder conocer a nueva gente de la organizaci?n. Lakani ser? muy bien recibido por nosotros en SIC.

Lakani: Me da gusto conocerte por lo menos de palabras, y cuando decida visitarnos llamame para confirmar su llegada y recogerte, te dejo mis datos: Saludos a Godzilla.

Mauricio S?nchez
5605-8059 / cel. 044 55-2112-8749

Gym 5544-9832   M?rtires Irlandeses, esq. Av. del Convento, Parque San Andr?s, Coyoacan, M?xico D.F.

Poidog

• Power User
    • View Profile
DB in Mexico City
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 05:55:15 PM »
Guau:

Marc, gracias por las palabras amables y el gran cuento.  Espero realmente aprovechar de esta oportunidad.

Mauricio, es tambi?n un placer de conocerte por lo menos por palabras, y gracias por la oferta de la hospitalidad. Espero la reuni?n con tigo en persona y entrenando con tigo en SIC. Parece que estare en Cuernevaca al fin de septiembre, y estoy muy entusiasmado.

(Thanks to my good friend Angelica for helping me with the translation)

Aloha, Kalani
Who dares wins - British SAS

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DB in Mexico City
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 12:13:49 AM »
Woof K:

I was pretty impressed with the level of the Spanish until you 'fessed up. :D

Marc