Author Topic: staff training (Sibat - Bangkaw)  (Read 7517 times)

Hank

staff training (Sibat - Bangkaw)
« on: March 23, 2004, 07:14:07 AM »
Hello Guro Crafty Dog & and every other member of the forum

Can someone give an overview of the DBMA staff training ( Sibat ? Bangkaw ):?:
-         the Elements of the Inosanto Method ( Box Pattern, 15 Count etc. )
-         the Malayu Sibat from the Pekiti Tirsia
-         Lameco
-         Bando
-         Krabi Krabong

Good training to all of you, a stafffanatic

Hank

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 02:30:11 PM »
woof:

basic overview (all off the top of my head) from 1 Guro Crafty staff seminar and outside sources:

Guro Crafty teaches "idioms of movement". there is the light whippy stick (~4'-5' long), there is the heavy 2x4, etc. everyday tools/objects will fit one of these idioms of movement.

the challenge is to find a strike where, if need be, you can repeat over and over without taxing your body. the idea came about from Dogzilla asking Guro Crafty how Dogzilla could defend himself with a mop because he worked in the prison kitchen and the "what if" scenario of prison riot. this motion is also good for health purposes for the upper girdle.  this motion will maintain your "bubble".

re:  the ILK staff - the box pattern is the same box pattern taught with single stick. 15 count is the same angles 1-15 with single stick. just substitute staff for single stick.

i don't know anythjing about KK staff, but check out a thai movie called ONG BAK. there is a short sequence with the staff. pretty cool.

sorry gotta run. i'm sure Guro Crafty or someone else can post more specifics.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 06:37:07 AM »
hey sorry, that was my post above.
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 10:51:32 AM »
Woof Hank, SG:

Hey, SG I was wondering who that anonymous post was-- pretty good!

Hank, I'm in the middle of a busy day and so for the moment will only add to SG's post that:

There is no Lameco staff in DBMA.

The part that SG discussed about being able to repeat a strike is in the context of establishing one's bubble.

Concerning our use of KK, most of it is in "thirds grip" with one palm up and one palm down and the two hands dividing the staff into three roughly equal parts.  With in this context the hands do slide around to other positions, but this is the core position.  As such this is more of a medio range structure and one suitable to heavier weapons.

Woof,
Crafty Dog

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 02:41:16 PM »
Woof Guro Crafty:

Quote from: Crafty_Dog

Hey, SG I was wondering who that anonymous post was-- pretty good!

tail wags for the kind words! well, i learned from the best :-) just my memory is faulty at times :-( i'm glad i got that right as it was all off the top of my head.

admittedly, i have not really worked with the thirds grip. since reading your reply, i've been trying it at home.  there is the question of the grip, both palms down, left palm up/right palm down, and left palm down/right palm up. there is both palms up but i did not find this practical for much.  

as a predominately right-handed person, i felt comfortable with right palm up and left palm down, but i know that in DBMA, there is a strong emphasis on developing the "good" hand (non-dominant hand). i found that if i am in right lead, the right palm up facilitated a caveman strike with the staff and hence my "comfort level" was high. so i really should work on my left lead :-)

Woof Hank:

i neglected to add that Guro Inosanto made a comment to Guro Crafty once that the reverse staff had merit. the seminar i attended Guro Crafty taught elements of the reverse staff and i'm glad that i went to the seminar and learned it because i would've never even thought of using the staff in that fashion. again, going back to the mop/broom, most people would probably have the mophead/broomhead facing the opponent. try it the opposite and have the mophead in back. very, very interesting structure.

HTH.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 02:43:10 PM »
there i go again, i did not remember to log in :-(
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny