Author Topic: Bahala Na system  (Read 12202 times)

cesar fernandez

Bahala Na system
« on: March 30, 2004, 01:05:00 AM »
good morning to all people.
in two months, tony somera will come to spain to teach in the first bahala na system seminar in spain. i would like to know the characteristics of this sysem and what do you think about this system.
thanks for the help
best regards
cesar fernandez

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Bahala Na system
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 03:53:23 PM »
Guau Cesar:

GM Leo's story is well known and familiar to readers of Guro Inosanto's book "The Filipino Martial Arts" -- in preparation for General MacArthur's return to the Philippines, LG was selected with a handful of men to unload from a submarine and row ashore in a rubber dingy to Luzon and radio back to Gen MacArthur on enemy troop movements and harass the enemy.  This they did for a year or so and highly recommended is LG's remembrance of these events "Memories Ride the Ebb of Tide" which I would think can be found on their website

http://www.gironarnisescrima.com/

I have an as-yet-unseen 40 minute interview with GM Leo in his basement which will see the light of day one of these days.  GM Leo was one of my favorite people (a wonderful energy to him) and to me it was quite inspiring to see, for example, the scar on his hand as he told the story of how it came to be (roughly "I parried the Japanese soldier's bayonet and cut his arm off at the elbow and shoved him to the next man in our triangle formation to finish the kill because more were coming").  

His Bahala Na Larga Mano Arnis/Eskrima comes from these experiences and GM Leo trained GM Tony Somera for many years to be his true heir and carry on his system.  

Woof,
Crafty Dog

Spadaccino

• Power User
    • View Profile
Bahala Na system
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 03:46:44 PM »
Memories Ride the Ebb of Tide was also available thru Kris Cutlery--still might be...
"And the rapier blades, being so narrow and of so small substance, and made of a very hard temper to fight in private frays... do presently break and so become unprofitable." --Sir John Smythe, 1590