Author Topic: dbma class notes  (Read 13435 times)

bjung

dbma class notes
« on: May 19, 2003, 06:07:08 PM »
Class Notes 5/17

We began with the prison riot drill, and although there were only five people, everybody carried double sticks which made it quite hectic.
  We moved onto some Krabi-Krabong training as per Dog Mike's request. We worked the nine count going back and forth down the mat. Next Guro had us complete redondo three with the inner canine footwork. This set up the Krabi nine count at a nice angle, and made it easier to run down an opponent.    8)
Guro moved onto some of the staff material. We did the Malayu strike using a heavy staff. After many repetitions on both sides, we worked on initiating the strike out of the whoop-di structure. Finally we worked on merging with an opponents strike using the Malayu strike.

After class we traveled to the park to spar. We used double sticks and then moved onto staff.  My biggest impression from sparring was my need to "stink" my opponent.

Finally we headed to the Dune. The weather was quite cool and after going up and down, we also tried climbing up with the bear crawl. After all of this I went home to take a nap.

woof,
Dog Brian

Russ

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • DBMA Connecticut
dbma class notes
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 07:57:44 AM »
DBMA 5/24 Notes from PMAA forum written by Sean w/ comments by LG Russ.

Excellent Job Sean!  Let me add in some comments in BOLD type below:

Here is an outline of Saturdays class in Kissena Park
Attendees:
Dog Russ
Marvin
Sean
1:00 - 2:30

Footwork on the Hourglass- 3 variations: tap foot, squat, reverse direction (warm-up) 15 minutes

IN ATIENZA CLASS, WE USE THIS DRILL TO WARM UP OUR FOOT WORK FOR 30 MINUTES TO AN HOUR!

Male triangle with leading roof block followed by 1 strike

FIGHTER ADVANCES TO THE POINT OF THE TRIANGLE WITH A ROOF BLOCK AND THEN RETREATS OUT WITH A CAVEMAN STRIKE (SINIWALI).

Lower canines with leading roof block followed by angle 1 strike

WE USED THIS FOOTWORK TO MOVE ACROSS THE FIELD HORIZONTALLY WHILE EXECUTING THE ROOF AND CAVEMAN.

3 Point with Right hand then left hand.  Stessed the importance of knowing how to use the left hand.

THIS WAS A STANDARD 3 POINT SUMBRADA USED TO DEMONSTRATE HOW THE ROOF BLOCK AS WE NORMALLY TRAIN IT IS INEFFECTIVE TO STOP A BAT WEILDING ATTACKER (THIS IS A RANGE ISSUE OF COURSE).

Lameco drill (1st person strikes lower lead leg, 2nd person avoids and attacks back on angle 1)

FIGHTER GOES FOR A KNEE SHOT DROPPING LOW WITH IT AND ROOFS ON THE WAY OUT AS METRINOME USES THE ILLUSTISIMO CROSS-STEP TO EVADE, STEP IN AND RETURN A HEAD SHOT.

Roof block against different weapons. (Headgear used) Started with Soft stick, stick, baseball bat and bo.  Stressed importance of footwork, holding roof block at correct angles and supporting roof block against heavier weapons

THIS WAS DONE WITH THE FIGHTER IN A SET AREA WHILE THE TWO OTHERS RAN AT HIM WITH FULL POWER STRIKES (BASEBALL BAT, RATTAN & STAFF).  THIS REALLY TEACHES YOU TO DEFEND YOUR HEAD WITH THE STICK.... OR ELSE!

Single and Double soft stick sparring, emphasing closing the gap and working angles.

EMPHASIZED TESTING YOUR OPPONENTS REACTION/ RESPONSE BEFORE COMMITING TO A FULL ATTACK.... DRAW OUT THE OPPONENT'S RESPONSE!

-End of class

I REALLY ENJOYED THIS CLASS.  IT INSTILLS A SENSE OF REALITY INTO WHAT SOME OF THE MORE REFINED MOVEMENTS IN OUR KALI TRAINING CAN ACTUALLY BE USED FOR IN A PRACTICAL SCENARIO.
C-Bad Dog, Lakan Guro DBMA
http://dbma-connecticut.webs.com/

cordtheseeker

Re: dbma class notes
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 09:01:08 AM »
Snaggletooth variations, with single and double basic power combos

Covered merges, using Lonely's 8 count

Integrated merging into the snaggletooth drill

3 count sumbrada, injecting quick switch, live hand passing, and finalizing options to include disarms, armlocks, throws, and low line silat