Author Topic: Brand new pup needs equpment advice......  (Read 14693 times)

Righthooker

Brand new pup needs equpment advice......
« on: April 18, 2004, 06:55:58 AM »
After years of invovlement with MA on my own and as a DT instructor, I have made the resolution to get into knife and stick this summer in a big way. I have always concentrated on striking and grappling techniques in the past and have resisted stick and knife. I knew this was the place to ask my questions.

What is the standard diameter for rattan sticks? I see KIL is a good place to get them, but what diameter is standard?

I plan on getting the 6 tape real contact series to start solo drilling this spring before getting involved with 2 of my buddies who have been working sticks for a while.

I will keep my eyes open for a seminar in the NW PA, NE OH area. Any schools around here anyone know of? Thanks in advance.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 07:36:32 AM »
Woof:

In conjunction with Pappy Dog (of KIL) we will be establishing our own line of training gear, including sticks, here on this website in the next few weeks.

In Ohio, there is my friend Jeff Brown's school in Dayton Ohio.   937-435-5500   Amongst his many credentials (under Guro Inosanto, Herman Suwanda, Myung Gyi and others) he is a DBMA Apprentice Instructor.  A very well qualified man and highly recommended.

Woof,
Crafty Dog

Righthooker

Thanks....
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 08:42:32 AM »
Just growing a little stale with boxing/clinching/grappling and looking to broaden my horizons. My only experience with knife at all is with spontaneous knife defense. Never felt comfortable training SKD-I would always only assist another instructor with SKD because my knowledge of knife fighting was weak. If I didn't have a rock-solid grasp of knife fighting, I wasn't going to instruct on knife defense. I had other trainers in my area who were well-versed in it and I kind of neglected that area of training-until now.

Stick work has always fascinated me due in large part to its aesthetics. I understand the practicality with attributes and weapons of opportunity, etc. but I always felt that rolling would make me a better grappler and sparring a better boxer.

However, I felt if I was going to learn, I wanted to work the most practical methodology. That's why I am here.

Righthooker

Thanks...
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 03:11:32 AM »
for the replies.

I ordered some sticks from KIL/Bloodsport a couple weeks ago (although I am still waiting on them)-anyone know how long they usually take to get their sticks out?

I also ordered the DB 6 tape real contact series. I am looking forward to studying it and getting to work.

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 03:36:09 AM »
woof right hooker,since youve been waiting a couple weeks for your sticks, its my suggestion that you send pappy dog a email, asking about your order. once they are shipped you should get them in a day or two.
  by the way i see your from somewhere near north east ohio/nw penn.
i believe there is some sayoc kali inst. in penn.  maybe you could check that out. they also have a website simple search for sayoc kali should get you there.                   sb
Howling Dog

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 03:56:40 AM »
Woof All:

BTW folks, we are now offering sticks! Check out our catalog-- there will be a complete description of each of the stick models (The Top Dog, The Salty Dog and The Crafty Dog) very soon.  For the moment, note that the Top Dog is a single thick heavy stick of 30", the Salty Dog model is two sticks of Krabi length, and the Crafty is two sticks of standard diameter and 31".

Woof,
Crafty Dog

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 06:58:07 AM »
woof righthooker, i was wondering......could you be more specific about where you live? i also live in ohio. iam just west of the akron/canton area.
                tom
Howling Dog

Righthooker

Emailed....
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 02:43:15 PM »
KIL. Just waiting on the ugly sticks. Should have them soon.

Tom: I am actually in NE PA south of Erie-a FMA wasteland, but was looking to be willing to travel toward Cleveland (or toward Pittsburgh) to find an instructor if I could work out a two day session or something.

I will prolly be ready for some instruction in mid summer, after I have had a chance to get my feet wet with the sticks. I plan on working solo and with a couple guys I know who are more into sticks than I am, but then I will need some instruction.

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 05:12:55 AM »
woof righthooker, i certainly know the feeling of living in a fma waste land. Ive struggled to find quality ma here where i live also. thats kinda how i got involved with the dbma.
About a year ago i ordered the real contact series they are very good and iam sure you will enjoy them and get tons out of them, a great way to get started.
I also joined the dbmaa which i totally recommend! there is so much stuff on the members site and a great way to get further and deeper involved.
Be careful though this thing has a real tendency to grow on you....
i had to go to the november gathering and in the days following had the true privledge of training  with guro crafty.
we are in the planning stages now of going back for the summer gathering iam even giving consideration  of entering.....so you can see what its done to me!! :D  anyway iam loving it!!
I think you will be able to find a seminar in your area  or somewhere close. i will leave that up to guro crafty and some of the other guys....but what iam thinking maybe logisticly speaking toronto or new york might be your ticket.  there is  iam thinking  dog brothers martial arts in both those areas.     tom
Howling Dog

K Williams

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 04:57:05 PM »
The "standard" diameter of rattan sticks is about 1". If you have large hands like me, you'll probably want 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" diameter sticks. I have a pair of 1 3/8" sticks from KIL that I had to retire from class use. My Guro called them tree trunks. They were destroying everyone's sticks. They are the densest pair of rattan sticks I own. You can barely see the pores in the end of the stick.
K. Williams