Author Topic: Surfboard Wax for stick grip?  (Read 25416 times)

K Williams

• View Profile
Surfboard Wax for stick grip?
« on: May 26, 2004, 07:10:46 AM »
I just received a Top Dog stick, and was reading your suggestions for grip retention. Using surf wax is one I've never heard of. Which wax do you all use? I checked out Mr. Zogs website, and there are probably 20 different waxes. I'm considering the Hockey wax that they sell...

http://www.sexwax.com/
K. Williams

Witchdoctor

Stick Grip
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 10:45:00 PM »
You might want to check out a product called Plasti-Dip, it is a liquid rubber that you just dip the item into & let it dry. It was designed for tool handles and the like. It shrinks as it dries and produces a smooth, grippy (but not sticky) surface that doesn't get slippery when sweaty. It's very durable, you really have to beat on it to get it to split. I like the feel & function better than the shiny vinyl that most hand tools come with. It can be re-dipped for a thicker grip or thinned with xylene for a slimmmer grip. As a bonus, it comes in many colors:red, blue,yellow, safety orange,black and even clear. Brushed on, it makes a great rustproofing for your car's tender underbelly.  :D

K Williams

• View Profile
Re: Plasti-Dip
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 04:28:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
K. Williams

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 11:28:18 PM »
The best wax of all wax is ear wax

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 10:25:59 PM »
Paraffin wax has always done wonders for me.  It keeps for a secure feel and lasts long.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

ponytotts

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Surfboard Wax for stick grip?
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 02:11:24 PM »

woof,
this is an interesting question. the plasti dip sounds like a good idea. i hope i can find it in germany.
when i did a siminar with guru lonley, i noticed that he had ( what looked 2 me like) a soft tape on his sticks. any ideas what that might b? i tried double sided tape. the kind used 4 hanging mirros, but it isnt very durable and i ended up with a WICKED blister. granted, i was swining a pick ax handle @ the time. any ideas that went stated here? guru benjamin, any comments?

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 04:50:26 PM »
Wow, I never heard of that.. plenty of surf wax here in Hawaii.? I'll have to try that out!!?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 06:55:33 PM by Robertlk808 »
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

pappydog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 08:47:05 PM »
First time I used it was when I saw Surfdog use it. Any kind will work well. Junkyard dog always has some. We also found out if you don;t have tape or surfwax and in a pinch use orange juice as a last resort
 Pappydog

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 06:03:50 AM »
Or as I have seen people do, use tape and wax.  In the reality promo I can remember that one close up where a fighter is doing this.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

armydoc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 06:21:38 AM »
Hi Guys!

New to posting  to the forum, but been lurking for awhile.  I have tried different types of tape in the past.  The tape sold in sporting goods stores for use on baseball/softball bats turned out to be way to messy.   It left a sticky residue all over my hands.  The padded tape used for tennis rackets was OK, but didn't seem to hold up very well.  I eventually resorted to just the standard old white athletic tape used to wrap ankles.  It provides a good non-slip surface, and when it starts getting dirty or worn you just add another layer on top.

Keith

ponytotts

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 08:57:47 AM »
i just ordered some plasti dip from the internet. i am curious how that will work. i hope i like it. i am going 2 try sex wax on another pair and see how i like it. i am hoping that guru benjamin will reply 2 this thread. one of my concerns is a bit of cusion and what he had/has looked like the perfect compromise.

vtr_pilot

• View Profile
Heat shrink tubing for stick grip
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 07:13:05 PM »
I've used heat shrink tubing to cover my sticks then resurfaced them by rubbing acetone on them.? This does two things; first it remove the unsightly white print on the outside, secondly it gives the tubing some grippiness which sweat doesn't effect.? Also the shrink tubing protects your sticks.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 05:52:44 AM »
I could never find large enough diameter heat shrink tubing.  Where do you get yours?

ponytotts

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 07:20:18 AM »
i am stoked! got my plasti grip in the mail 2day. i am going 2 aplly it 2 a couple of sticks 2nite and let u know how i like it.
 :mrgreen:

ponytotts

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 08:48:46 PM »
so, plasti grip. i like ie. i doesnt offer muc n the way of cusion, but the grip is great. my hands r still pretty tender from the blisters, but its getting better. i have started using gloves once my hands start 2 get tired and that helps quite a bit.
its a bit annoying 2 apply. i think brushing it on might help. all in all i am happy.