Author Topic: purchase a knife  (Read 47378 times)

Johnny Arias

• View Profile
    • http://www.lamecoeskrima.org
Purchase a Knife...
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2004, 10:26:13 PM »
Hi Tom,

Al Polkowski?s knives are indeed a bit difficult to come by, but well worth the search, cost and wait once you have one in your possession. From what I have learned, he is very particular as to whom he does business with.
One thing to keep in mind is that he has many different styles, so you?ll want to check them all out. In my opinion there is absolutely no custom knife maker that is as good at constructing fully concealable fighting knives.
Since this type of carry system has gained your interest, I would really like you to be aware of your local laws pertaining to blades and concealed carry rigs. I know that carrying this type of rig in California is illegal. I have my own opinions on the matter, so it?s definitely up to you to decide. I just want to bring it to your attention so, check out your local laws. A little homework prior to your purchase would only be beneficial.

Tom, if you?d like me to address specific questions regarding blade styles that I recommend, feel free to email me directly at: southpawjohnny@hotmail.com as to avoid lengthy posts that the others may not care to read. I can also turn you onto a few vendors that have a good relationship with him.

Again, good luck in your search.

Train as if your life depends on it because it does!

-Johnny Arias
www.lamecoeskrima.org

[/u]

buzwardo

• Power User
    • View Profile
Opening Folders/Fixed Blade Suggestions
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2004, 10:47:07 PM »
Concern about opening folders quickly and consistently can be addressed the old fashioned way: lotsa practice. Standing around flicking your knife open can get kinda boring; instead I suggest incorporating use of your knife into every daily task you can. Open your mail with it, cut your steak, prune the shrubs, stir your coffee, open boxes, and so on. It won't happen overnight, but eventually you'll find your knife leaps into your hand before you knew you needed it.

As for fixed blade suggestions, sheesh, where to start? A couple notions you are unlikely to hear anywhere else: First, at least initially, don't buy anything you can't toss down a storm drain without losing sleep. Concealed fixed blades are going to be frowned on in most jurisdictions; buy something you won't think twice about tossing in the bushes if you have to. Second, make sure whatever you buy can be drawn and resheathed quietly. If you have reason to draw a knife in combat then you also have reason to do so without telegraphing your intentions.

Beyond that my advice would be to figure out what blade style you favor and then pick up something relatively cheap in that style. Cold Steel has a lot of options in the $50 range. CRKT, Becker, Kershaw, Gerber, also have knives worth looking at. Once you've settled on a blade style that works for you, and if your pockets are plenty deep, there are a lot of folks other there making many amazing knives. Some of my favorites are Strider, Simonovich, Hossom, Terzoula, among others. There is no shortage of options, in other words. The hard part is narrowing things down.