Author Topic: DBMA Membership  (Read 31098 times)

Trifletraxor

• View Profile
DBMA Membership
« on: July 11, 2004, 12:49:45 PM »
Hi!  :D

Wondered if any members of DBMA could give some feedback on the vid-lessons you gain access to as a member. Do you get structured lessons over the net, that you can learn the Dog Brothers curriculum from, or how is it? I might go to the next summer gathering, but until then, the discounts aren't of much interest. So, the question is: Are the vid-lessons alone worth the 75 bucks  :?:

Howl from Norway!
Voff!
Sverre G. Larne, Doce Pares Eskrima practitioner.

Trifletraxor

• View Profile
Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 03:54:40 PM »
No DBMA members here? No feedback? Anyone!?
Voff!

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
DBMA Membership
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 06:36:30 PM »
trifletraxor, Iam a member of the dbma, may i ask what you are looking for with the dbma..... If its just the vid lessons, i would say sure its worth the seventy five dollars, but then your onley getting a fraction of what the dbma is all about.
I have been a member for almost a year now and will surley re-new my membership, but iam into it for much more than the vid lessons.
By much more, i could list various and many things not all of which are martial arts related, though "to walk as a warrior for all your days" is defiently one of them.
Why dont you post more about yourself and what your all about and maybe you will get more feed back as to if the dbmaa is for you.
          Tom
p.s. maybe to put it in a nut shell as best i can, the dbma is more like family. At least thats the way i view it.
Howling Dog

Trifletraxor

• View Profile
DBMA Membership
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 04:57:14 AM »
hi tom guthrie & thank you for the reply!

i've just started up training doce pares eskrima in norway again, after a five year break when i was studying in hungary. downloaded the dog brothers video "power" from the net and it gave me a lot of motivation for fma training (bought the whole set now). i plan to go to the next summer gathering so i have something to train towards, but due to the distance i'll maximally be able to go once a year.

guess what i was wondering about was what kind of resources you get access to as a member, and how much it's possible to learn from it. could you also explain what is meant by "to walk as a warrior for all your days"?

howl from norway!
Voff!

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
DBMA Membership
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 03:53:09 PM »
Woof Trifletraxor, Good to hear from you and hope to post with you more in the future.
 I would like at this time because i dont feel comfortable or qualified to speak on behalf of the dbma to defer your questions to either guro crafty or someone more qualified than myself.
Hope all works out well for you and that you do indeed become a member of the dbma!!  Talk with you later.......
                     tom
Howling Dog

Anonymous

DBMA Membership
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 10:26:30 AM »
Woof!

Thank you Tom.

T., I'm off to Ohio for 5 days, but will answer your questions next week.

Woof,
Guro Crafty

Trifletraxor

• View Profile
DBMA Membership
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 01:36:17 PM »
Okay, thank you both. I look forward to your reply Crafty!

Voff! (the way the norwegian dogs bark..  :D  )
Voff!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DBMA Membership
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 11:54:02 AM »
Woof TT:

"Guess what I was wondering about was what kind of resources do you get access to as a member, and how much it's possible to learn from them.  Could you also explain what is meant by "to walk as a warrior for all your days"?"

Our mission is for our members to have genuine growth on their respective missions "To walk as a warrior for all their days".  

To this end, the DBMA Ass'n offers

1) The Members site.
2) Vid-lessons
3) Vehicles for training in DBMA

1)  The Member's site is large, active, and continuously growing.  There is a large library of technique sequences and a huge amount of readings on FMA and related matters of interest-- and as evinced here on the public forum, "related matters of interest" is defined rather broadly!  

And there is the Forum.  The forum is the equivalent of the campfire for the tribe-- where all come together about matters of shared interest.  It might be a question about one of the vid-lessons or about DBMA theory.  It might be the instructors sharing the progressions of their class/training sessions e.g. This week we worked "bilateralism"-- here's the progression we used".  It might be concerning evolutionary pyschology.  And it might be about WW3: political posts are channeled into one of a handful of threads dedicated to these matters and here too the rule is "Friends at the end of the day"!  It might be a thread concerning training tips, or another concerning diet.  There is "the Fire Hydrant" thread where we keep each other informed of what we are up to and hook up with each other.  Etc etc etc.

2) The vid-lessons are usually  :wink: shot on professional cameras, and usually casually edited.   Because they are vid-lessons and not releases for the general public, we can go into things more deeply than would otherwise be the case.  And note the synergy possible-- if there is something you do not understand or a question you would like to ask, then you can do so via the Forum.  It is not a matter of "Send your money, here's your video, and good luck!"  Rather we look for you and us to have an ongoing relationship.

3)  We look to offer people ways that they can personally train in the system.   For example:

a) The PTP (Personal Training Program) with me are at a 10% discount to the price for the general public.  If a member is attending a seminar and wants to have some private training the day before or after the seminar, I make every effort to adjust my schedule to make that possible.
b) DBMA seminar attendance is also at a 10% discount.
c) DBMA instructors:  In a steady but measured way we are expanding the number of certified DBMA instructors and of DBMA "Training Groups".  These instructors and training groups receive support from us so that they can best serve you.

The idea is that the interaction amongst these three offers a synergy that yields a sum greater than the parts.

Concerning "Walk as a Warrior for all your days" (tm):  

To answer this we delve into a bit of what some have taken to calling "the DB philosophy".   In the DB/DBMA philosphy there is a goodly dose of evolutionary pyschology.  Austrian Nobel Prize winner Konrad Lorenz is the starting point here.

Most martial arts today are about young males doing what young males do-- they compete in some form of hierarchical ritual fighting.  BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA, TWD, Wrestling, etc are all examples of this.

Although we certainly have that in good measure, ours is based more on the tribal energy-- as such the fighting is not so much about hierarchy as it is about strengthening the tribe so that we may stand together to defend our land, women and children.  This is what allows us to fight without keeping score and fighting without keeping score allows to fight the way we do.  In my humble opinion, if one knows where to look, this tribal energy is present to an unusual degree in the FMA and the FMA are the core of DBMA (speaking in shorthand, DBMA can be said to be an "impure FMA" system).

Thus, unlike in hierarchical fighting, wherein the energy is "up or out" i.e. one tends to quit as one's youthful fighting skill peaks, as a member of the tribe one is always relevant.  Given the role and prevalence of weapons in this system, this is IMHO realistically possible-- if in the real world we are cornered into a problem we use weapons as necessary.  See for example the story somewhere on this site of an 80 year old Filipino taking down some 16 year old burglar some 30 pounds bigger than him in his home and capturing him for arrest (!)by using a pipe he kept handy.

When we have this sort of capability as our goal, then as our competitive skills decline we still remain motivated-- for we no longer compare ourselves to others or what we were when we were younger.  

Does this help answer your question?

Woof,
Crafty Dog

PS:  I see that you are from Norway.  Please note that our European program is becoming very strong under the leadership of my personal friend and close private student, Guro Benjamin "Lonely Dog" Rittiner of Bern, Switzerland.  Not only does he bring me in twice a year (the next time Oct 9-10) but he is authorized to do seminars and PTPs on his own.  

PPS:  A bit of a tangent, but I mention that Top Dog speaks Norwegian.

Trifletraxor

• View Profile
DBMA Membership
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 04:24:01 PM »
Thank you for the reply Crafty Dog. You've got me interested enough now, so I guess I'll try a memebership. Took a look at the dogbrothers.su page, just out of curiousity: do you know what Lonely Dog charge for the P2P training (didn't show on the webpage)? And by the way, how did Top Dog learn to speak norwegian?
Voff!

Anonymous

DBMA membership
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 06:18:36 AM »
Wuff TT

Lonely Dog here. More informations about PTP in Switzerland: www.mypage.bluewindow.ch/lonely72/trainingE.html

BTW, DBMA members have the advantage to have 1 1/2 hours extra training on each seminar days (in a special DBMAA group class), when Guro Marc "Crafty Dog" is giving the Seminar in Switzerland the 9. / 10. October.

Hope to hear from you.

Wuff
Lonely Dog

Trifletraxor

• View Profile
DBMA Membership
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 01:35:45 PM »
Hi Lonely Dog!

The seminar on the 9.-10. of October sounds interesting. Just wondering, do you only do PTP training on weekends? Or would it be possible to do some hours of PTP training on the 8. or 11.? And do you know by any chance if there is any low-cost airplane companies going between Norway and Switzerland?

Voff!  :P
Voff!

Anonymous

DBMA Membership
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2004, 01:34:35 PM »
Hi TT

I would be glad if you could make it to the seminar. For more informations, please send me an e-mail.

Wuff
Lonely Dog

danicasdad

• View Profile
Re: DBMA Membership
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 11:38:24 PM »
hi,
The tribal energy is something that appeals to me.
I have been to "martial arts" seminars in the past that not only included the physical, but went into emotional/somatic energies. The energy from the work done at these seminars was amazing, and is a big part of why I continue to train in martial arts for as long as I have.
Sadly, due to my own personal growth and my life choices, I have moved away from that systems head instructor, though I still call him friend, and have my instructor from that system as my friend as well. This was just a choice to continue searching for realism as opposed to tradition in the martial arts.
I miss that initial awakening into a new mind set. I have since walked a spiritual path with a lot of teachers, but find myself very disconnected and confused in that area of my life, currently.
I think its about disillusionment or high expectations, but I can't seem to connect in that way with people, anymore.
In any event, I was just wondering if your group is focused on that type of work. ie personal development/discovery/healing
I remember you were being hosted by Guro Jorgensen in Vancouver a couple of years ago, and I was curious to check it out, but fearful that I was just going to get smashed up for two days!! :wink:
im just wondering how active dbma is in Canada.
I know of Guro jorgensen in Vancouver, and Guro Gelinas in Montreal.
Any training groups in other areas?
Of interest, is Calgary, Alberta.
Regards,
Gord

prentice crawford

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 12:00:55 AM »
Woof,
 For those of you that have been thinking about joining the Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association, now would be a great time to take the plunge. Yeah, you get discounts and can get your hands on Guro Crafty's vid lessons that can give you an edge but the real benefit comes from having access to the members only site. The content of the body of work there and the other members participation and contributions make it the most unique and informative martial arts forum on the net. I've been a member for a number of years and although I can't tell you what all goes on at the site (what's said there, stays there), I can tell you that the membership will up your game and open up new areas of interest for you.
 Members are very protective of the site and it may not be for everybody but if you can hang with the ground rules and share a love for the art and respect for Guro Crafty then this is a real opportunity to advance your skills and be apart of the leading edge of practical martial arts.
 Now some of the guys will be a little angry with me for even bringing the members only site up because they like having the edge that the site gives them over other fighters but if you join and show them that you're willing to contribute they'll get over it. :-D There are some high level martial artist's on the site (Guro Crafty most notably) and some low life stick trash practitioners like me that are more than willing to butt heads with you :evil: or just chew the fat :roll: (remember, what's said there, stays there!).
 Now the reason I'm posting this is because Guro Crafty isn't one to toot his own horn and he is just as protective of the content of the site as the other members are. That's not to say he doesn't want new members but it does reflect the elite status that members take on. The site is for serious martial artists and for those that want to have the unique opportunity of interacting with like minded individuals that will welcome you into the fold.
 So, I hope this will help make up your mind, I don't want to scare anybody off but like I said it's not for everybody but if you're willing to commit to it, the site and the guys there will blow your mind! 8-)
                                 P.C.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:05:11 AM by prentice crawford »

PhilipG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 05:00:53 AM »
Gord,

There are Canadian groups that have sprung up in Toronto, Ottawa, and Timmins. Loki has a few under his umbrella on the west coast.

Tyler Morin (PTK & IIMAIA) has been to a few DBMA gatherings and Rene Cocolo (JKD Family) has too (they are not connected, but they know each other) Rene is bringing Crafty to Toronto in February.

We have started a regular grouping every couple of months based on the gathering concept with people showing up to fight on a Sunday morning.

I really don't care if it takes a long time to spread around as this sort of commitment cannot be rushed and has to be absorbed.

If you want to do it, you should take the first steps yourself. Frustrating at first, then very satisfying.

danicasdad

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 09:36:39 PM »
Hi,
Many things have happened since starting this thread and I think this year is feeling like one of focusing more on training than anything.
The problems are many, but i know the rewards are great, if I follow through.
Just wondering about how I will be able to afford the travel required to seek out instruction from elite level instructors and sparring with people beyond my skill level....which shouldn't be to hard. :wink:
Thanks for the replies to my inquiries.
I hope to see some of you in Toronto.
Regards,
Gord

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 05:32:06 AM »
For the record Tyler is also a Trainer in DBMAA.

Gord, hope you can make it to the seminar this weekend in Toronto.

prentice crawford

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 03:40:32 PM »
Woof,
 Just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. You know guys a hint to the gift givers in your life, that a membership in the DBMAA and the members only website would be a much better gift than a pair of socks and a tie, could really payoff for you! I'm just saying. Have a good one and whack someone!
                                              P.C. :-D

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 08:19:35 PM »
it's going to be my new year's present to myself  :-D

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 03:44:11 PM »
 :evil: :evil: I am so feeling like a junkie without a fix.  I forgot to renew my  DMAA Members dues for the year...  I just have to say, "I have been enjoying the site access so much that I had taken for granted the treat it is to read, talk to and share the Tribe's Vibe on a regular basis at such a deap and open level.  Since loosing my access, I find myself feeling like I have moved out of the Camp Fire Circle".

IF YOU HAVE BEEN ON THE FENCE ABOUT GETTING YOUR MEMBERSHIP...  DO IT NOW! 

*If your serious and commited to finding out the truth about what it is to "Walk as a warrior for all your days" - JOIN TODAY!

PS
Pretty Kitty

SOS

Woof-Woof from Kaju Dog
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 05:49:17 AM »
Kaju:

I sent word to Pretty Kitty.  She just caught the kooties from our daughter last night, so it may take her a day or three.

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 10:09:35 AM »
Kaju:

I sent word to Pretty Kitty.  She just caught the kooties from our daughter last night, so it may take her a day or three.

I hope everyone feels well soon. 

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

KD
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Dr Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 05:34:11 PM »
Woof all -

For those guys on this forum who haven't seen me here, I am a frequent contributor on the DBMAA members only site. I only recently signed up on this one to throw in my two cents about the Sept gathering (which I will be attending), since that is mostly done on the public side.  For those who are wondering, we have had great discussions on the members side about a range of topics that is incredibly wide - I can't reveal more other than to say that when I signed up for it I thought I would just learn about stickfighting, and in fact, while I have learned a LOT about stickfighting, I have learned far more about other areas of training and conditioning that I had never even heard of prior to joining. And I'm not exactly a spring chicken. Lots of experienced people answering my questions. That doesn't even count the members only store.  The grass really is greener.

This is not a paid endorsement - just thought I'd throw this up because its coming up on time to renew my membership (this was my first year), and that got me thinking about what I'd gotten for my investment; I feel that the membership fee was money well spent. Thought I'd pass it along to anyone who might be considering. The only problem is the dang time that I spend on it sometimes (Hi, my name is Rick and I'm an addict........) :lol:

Rick
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 11:40:04 PM by RRL »

prentice crawford

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 03:29:37 AM »
Woof,
 It does get under your skin. :lol:
                     P.C.

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 09:57:13 AM »
Woof, Been a DBMA member I think 8 years. I Can't imagine not being a member.  :mrgreen:
                 C-HD
Howling Dog

prentice crawford

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 08:36:28 AM »
Woof,
 Well here I go getting myself in trouble with some of the guys on the members only site that want to keep it the best kept secret in martial art circles. The reason for that is because the membership includes a diverse group of elite martial artist's representing numerous styles including FMA at very high levels, all of whom are willing to share their experience and knowledge on the members only forum. Besides that, when someone joins they have immediate access to ordering Guro Craftydog's Vid Lessons, which in themselves can bring anyone into the realm of elite status. So, you can see why some of the guys would like to keep their edge on the rest of the field. However, I know for a fact there are many of you on this public forum that would fit right in with that elite martial arts group and you would pay your own way with your contributions there and that's why I'm asking you to join the DBMAA members only site. The members are dedicated warriors with backgrounds not only in martial arts but with experience in law enforcement, military service and the security fields and they bring real world, hands on, practical knowledge to the table; information you won't find anywhere else. I want you to add to that body of knowledge so that you along with the rest of the membership can leave a legacy that will benefit not just us that want to live as a warrior all our days but all warriors who come after us.
 It's a new year coming up and a perfect time to join the Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association, it will be the best decision you've ever made in your martial arts training. It's simple, just go to the homepage, click on the Public Store and order the membership, Pretty Kitty will get you started. Happy New Year!
                                                    P.C.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 07:50:48 AM by prentice crawford »

c - Shadow Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • jkd concepts
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 08:11:53 PM »
Im going to echo what pc says.  I will make you a promise.  You will not be disappointed.  

The material, and media are amazing.  The participation by Guro Crafty and the rest is why you keep coming back.

Build the relationship get to know the guys and come down the rabbit hole.

I now return you to your regular life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGQF8LAmiaE
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:14:17 PM by tcrutcher »

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 11:15:18 AM »
I just replied on PPagan's Stickgrappling thread about 3 of the vidlessons available only to DBMAA members only. I hate sounding like a commercial but the access to the VL's is worth the price alone. Additionally, you will have access to the Members' Only forum which is overflowing with information to help your journey in the Martial Arts as well as Life. That is bonus/icing on the cake. You will also have access to Guro Crafty on some issues that is not for the Public forum.

And for any beginners in the MA, don't let PC's post intimidate you. I'm but a beginner and have learned a lot from the DBMAA. The very experienced members have fielded many of the less experienced members' questions in the spirit of making the Tribe/family stronger.

I joined the DBMAA when it was first formed, been a member for many years, there was a period due to real life I was not able to be a member... when I rejoined, I was welcomed back with open arms. The brotherhood as well as the camaderie invokes a Tribal feeling... one member helping the other members better themselves. Of all the organizations out there that have Members Only access, the DBMAA is the only one I'm a member of.

You know the saying about synergy? The sum of the parts is greater than the whole? This is so true with the DBMAA!

Very truly yours in the martial arts and self-defense,

~sg
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

barna284

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 09:34:17 AM »
On a more practical issue, is it possible to sign the DBMAA membership form and FAX it instead of mailing it? I live in Argentina, so snail mail could take a long time...

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 09:45:18 AM »
Yes it is.  The Fax number is at the bottom of the front page.

danicasdad

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2011, 10:36:27 PM »
hello there,
further along the communication question, can i scan and email a copy of the membership application in to the association?
gord

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 11:01:39 PM »
Around here this is defined as a "Reality stuff".  My wife Cindy (a.k.a. "Pretty Kitty") is in charge of Reality and I am in charge of everything else.  Email her with questions at info@dogbrothers.com (I receive these emails too and can chime in whne necessary) Know that she is also very much a mom and sometimes only gets to DBMA business 1-2 days a week.