Author Topic: Gathering of the Pack  (Read 6989 times)

Jacob Sisler

• View Profile
Gathering of the Pack
« on: July 28, 2004, 09:34:28 PM »
Can first timers fight at a gathering? What is the protocol for a newbie to a gathering? Thanks

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Gathering of the Pack
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 05:15:10 AM »
Woof JS:

If we didn't let first-timers fight, how would we get any second timers?  

In other words, sure. Just pre-register and all is well. Most people do prefer to witness a Gathering first just to see what they are getting themselves into, or at least watch several of our videos.

Does this answer your question?

Woof,
Crafty Dog

Jacob Sisler

• View Profile
Gathering of the Pack
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 02:16:21 PM »
Woof Crafty Dog,

Yep that answers my question. Thanks.:)

Jay

The Gathering
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 11:34:22 AM »
Guro Crafty,

This might be a stupid question but, I was wondering if there are legal reasons why no one fights at the "The Gathering" completely armourless. I did notice that more people are using gloves that offer little or no protection from direct strikes. I was very impressed by that by the way. So I guess my question is if someone wanted to would you allow it?
Which brings me to another question. This one goes out to all of the participants of previous/future gatherings.  Given the chance would any of you fight without headgear? And if you did, do you think you can be friends at the end of the day? Please understand that I mean no disrespect and admire all of you for your dedication to the arts.

Anonymous

Gathering of the Pack
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 03:03:29 PM »
There is no way I would do that without head gear as the cost could be an eye.  I'm sure just about everyone else wouldn't be willing to pay that much for an exhibition fight.   Plenty of stick sparring exists without helmets, but all but the real grudges are pulling their head shots.  If people tell you they do knife sparring with no eye protection or little more than raquetball glasses,  they are using very safe training knives or are pulling their shots to the head.  No one is landing a committed thrust to the eye with even a slightly pointed training blade.

As for "glove free" fights, I'm willing to do one at the Gathering. The opponent's fencing mask is more the issue.  Thin gloves are needed to protect your knuckles from a thorough grate on your opponent's mask.

Gints Klimanis

Jay

Gathering of the Pack
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 07:17:54 PM »
Gints,

I see your point (pun intended). Thank you!

Jay

Video
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 03:13:19 PM »
This is a two part question:

If both of the fighters participating in "The Gathering" didn't want thier fight to be video taped, would you cut the camera's for thier fight?

OR

How would one get a copy of his fight if he wasn't a member of DBMA?

Just wondering.....

Jay

Crafty Dog

Gathering of the Pack
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 05:41:41 PM »
Woof Jay:

1)  Gathering fights are videoed.  

2)  No one, DBMA member or not, is entitled to a copy of their fight.

Crafty Dog

Jay

Gathering of the Pack
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 08:41:13 PM »
Guro Crafty,

Thank you for the clarifications.

Jay