Author Topic: Shike - Time of the Dragons, Books 1 & 2  (Read 7754 times)

zinja

Shike - Time of the Dragons, Books 1 & 2
« on: September 19, 2004, 10:59:38 PM »
Has anyone ever read these two books?  I read them back in early 80's and I'm always interested in hearing from others who have read them.
If you haven't read them, as weapons officianados - you owe it to yourself to read them.  Here's an example of Jedu, the warrior zinja monk's attitude as he is approached by an arrogant Mongol warrior - circa Genshis khan:
Mongol, raising his sword and shouting "Stop! Hand over the princess. I am prince so-and-so of the line of so-and-so and I am here to take the princess from this point on (I paraphrase).
Jebu: You are an ape and the grandson of an ape and as for me - I am nothing - half this and half that - if you defeat me you have defeated nothing, but if I (and, at this time, with one quick swipe of his short zinja sword he cleanly and blindingly cuts the head off the Mongol's body).

Anyhow, zinja's use short swords primarily but are skilled in ALL arts of warfare - their bodies are so attuned that anything they see in combat they can instantaneously copy.  He also wields a naginata and fan in his protection of his buddies and the princess Taniko - which, he was supposed to offer to Prince Horigawa so that they'd not invade the sunrise lands (Japan) - BUT, fell in love with her on the way - OOPS!

So, the tone is set, Jebu - the last of the zinja, against the onslaught of Mongols bent on world domination.  Fun, fun, fun.