Author Topic: How to find a good FMA school?  (Read 6155 times)

Itto-Ryu

• View Profile
How to find a good FMA school?
« on: October 14, 2004, 01:20:43 PM »
Hello everyone.  I have been quite interested in FMA for a few years now, and I am considering attending a Balintawak Arnis school.  Link.

I am quite ignorant on the subject though, so I figured this would be the best place to ask what to look for in a good, legitimate school.

And if anyone is going to tell me the best way to find out is to go in person, again, as I just said, I am quite ignorant on the subject, which is why I need to know exactly what to look for before I go looking for anything.

Just so you all know what I am looking for from Martial Arts training, it's self defence I am after.  I am a very, very, very small and weak individual, so you can understand why I want quality training so badly.  According to the research I have done, it seems FMA provides some of the best self defence training one could hope to have, so here I am.

Thank you for your time.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
How to find a good FMA school?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 04:33:27 PM »
www.inosanto.com

Check out the instructor list.  See if there are any in your area.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Itto-Ryu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 07:23:56 PM »
There is a school in my area.  I linked to the school's website in my post.  (First paragraph.)

Thanks for the link though.  It didn't list any schools I could get to, it seems the one I linked to in my first post is the only one I can attend, and believe me, I have done a lot of looking.

Edit:  I'm sorry, I just realized I phrased my question improperly.  I know how to go about finding schools, I don't know how to tell good FMA schools apart from bad ones.  I have found a school, I want to know if it's good.  This is what I need help with.  Sorry for the confusion.  I'm pretty dumb/inarticulate.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: ...
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 08:16:44 PM »
Quote from: Itto-Ryu
There is a school in my area.  I linked to the school's website in my post.  (First paragraph.)

Thanks for the link though.  It didn't list any schools I could get to, it seems the one I linked to in my first post is the only one I can attend, and believe me, I have done a lot of looking.

Edit:  I'm sorry, I just realized I phrased my question improperly.  I know how to go about finding schools, I don't know how to tell good FMA schools apart from bad ones.  I have found a school, I want to know if it's good.  This is what I need help with.  Sorry for the confusion.  I'm pretty dumb/inarticulate.

Personally,
  I don't think anyone can say if a school is good or bad unless they have gone to it; and even then it is only their opinion!  As far as a set model of what a school should be I doubt you will ever find one.  No one system is the best, no one type of school is the best.  Check out that school and let us know what you think of it!  I think that would be the best next step!

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com