Author Topic: Wiffleball bat sparring  (Read 5861 times)

JSilverson

• View Profile
    • http://www.portalofevil.com
Wiffleball bat sparring
« on: November 10, 2004, 09:20:32 PM »
Hello Guro Crafty:

A friend of mine loaned me a copy of the Panther Real Contact stickfighting Tapes and  theCombining g Stick and foot work Tape. I take Kempo, one of the guys  in my school took some Modern Arnis another took Kendo for about 5 years. We have decided that we would like to develop some proficiency with sticks . We  have been practicing some basic strikes and counters and no touch sparring , really just playing aroiund, I will admit we are intimidated  by the level of contact in the videos . All of us have families and work and are not ready for the level of contact you guys engage in and we respect the fact that you guys actualy go out there and do what you do. With that said , we were thinking that SOME contact is better than  NONE at this point.We can;t really afford all the fancy escrima armor  and stuff/So if you please , I would appreciate your opinions and comments.

1) What is your opinion of Actionflex sparring equipment ?

2) We were thinking of sparring using wiffle ball bats , 24 " and 32 "  wrapped in electrical tape to give some weight. We would buy foam headgears with face cages to protect the  heasd. Wear thermal sweatshirts to protect the body.Foam macho handguards to protect the hands. Cups for the accidental strike to the jewels. Some type of knee pad to protect the knees

we figure the bats will hurt but not incapacitate or brealk bones.We dont want to be Dog Brothers, or stickighters , we only want to develop enough proficiency with a stick  or stick like object  to be able to defend ourselves in the same way that we practice empty hand striking , throws and grappling. We dont want to go into  the UFC, we want to stop an attacker from attacking

I realize you guts are pretty intense and hardcore but  myself and my traing partners aren't..we can't afford to miss days off from work , although it sometimes happens with sparring. We may be new to weapons and kali but we are getting serious about this type of training.Any information , advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated.I hope the above makes sense .

Sincerely Yours

JS

Ted T.

• View Profile
Wiffleball bat sparring
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 10:25:01 AM »
Wiffle bats don't last long,  :(  but they are cheap!

Sonny Umpad makes light rubber sticks for apartment practice (noise reduction) saying they won't last for sparring but we've used them for light sparring, hand targeting / sniping for ten years and they are still fine. No protection is needed.

We also use the padded sticks from Edgar Sulite, but they hit much harder and last longer.  

I bet they can still be bought somewhere!

pretty_kitty

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Wiffleball bat sparring
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 05:34:58 PM »
Hey,

We sell the 31" Flex stick for a pretty good price.  
http://dogbrothers.com/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=78

And if you're a DBMAA member, it's even cheaper in the DBMAA Member's Only catalog.

:-)
Cindy "Pretty Kitty" Denny.
Dog Brothers, Inc.