Author Topic: Article(s) on the history/origin of martial arts  (Read 5494 times)

Tiny

• View Profile
Article(s) on the history/origin of martial arts
« on: November 16, 2004, 11:45:31 AM »
Couldn't find a thread that nicely contained all such references, so I thought I'd start one -- hope it's no bother.

Here:

Discovering the Origin of Martial Arts:  the Dunhuang Caves

According to Shanghai Evening Post, since the 19th century, scholars have paid great attention to, and conducted research on the historical data of the martial arts paintings in China?s famous Dunhuang cave, discovered in 1900, which holds over ten thousand Buddhist scriptures and works of art.

Wang Degong, formerly the vice-president of the Gansu Province Chinese Martial Arts Association, and several other famous martial arts experts in Gansu province believe that the Dunhuang cave paintings give clues to the evolvement of Chinese martial arts.

<snip>

During the long course of history, people in the city Dunhuang, which sits near the famous cave, have passed on from generation to generation all kinds of martial arts movements. Wang Degong said, "While we were "copying" the martial arts movements, we delightedly discovered that many of the martial arts movements on the Dunhuang cave paintings resemble the martial arts styles in the local Lanzhou area." People can find traces of it in the images of martial arts from the Han and Tang dynasty up to current versions.

I dig martial arts evolution and history, I thought others might as well...

Spadaccino

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Article(s) on the history/origin of martial arts
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 08:51:26 AM »
Quote from: Tiny
Couldn't find a thread that nicely contained all such references, so I thought I'd start one -- hope it's no bother.

Here:

Discovering the Origin of Martial Arts:  the Dunhuang Caves

According to Shanghai Evening Post, since the 19th century, scholars have paid great attention to, and conducted research on the historical data of the martial arts paintings in China?s famous Dunhuang cave, discovered in 1900, which holds over ten thousand Buddhist scriptures and works of art.

Wang Degong, formerly the vice-president of the Gansu Province Chinese Martial Arts Association, and several other famous martial arts experts in Gansu province believe that the Dunhuang cave paintings give clues to the evolvement of Chinese martial arts.

<snip>

During the long course of history, people in the city Dunhuang, which sits near the famous cave, have passed on from generation to generation all kinds of martial arts movements. Wang Degong said, "While we were "copying" the martial arts movements, we delightedly discovered that many of the martial arts movements on the Dunhuang cave paintings resemble the martial arts styles in the local Lanzhou area." People can find traces of it in the images of martial arts from the Han and Tang dynasty up to current versions.

I dig martial arts evolution and history, I thought others might as well...

I'm confused--is the article claiming that martial arts started in China?
"And the rapier blades, being so narrow and of so small substance, and made of a very hard temper to fight in private frays... do presently break and so become unprofitable." --Sir John Smythe, 1590

Tiny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 09:20:39 AM »
Hmm...I thought that the article was only claiming that Chinese martial arts started in China...

Spadaccino

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 09:51:13 AM »
Quote from: Tiny
Hmm...I thought that the article was only claiming that Chinese martial arts started in China...

Hey, it's all good--I was simply going by the title, "Discovering the Origin of Martial Arts: the Dunhuang Caves".
"And the rapier blades, being so narrow and of so small substance, and made of a very hard temper to fight in private frays... do presently break and so become unprofitable." --Sir John Smythe, 1590