Author Topic: World Jeet Kune Do federation?  (Read 6372 times)

KosherDog

• View Profile
World Jeet Kune Do federation?
« on: December 07, 2004, 04:17:17 PM »
Someone showed me this organazation: www.LeeJKD.com

I thought it was bogus, espescially since all you have to do is pay money and get certified by them (without any training). I then went to their list of certified instructors and they include martial arts luminaries and greats like Dan Inosanto, Taki Kimura and Burton Richardson among others. It seems a bit shady, did they sign them up without theyr knowledge or consent or did they willingly sign up?

Thanks!

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 10:06:08 PM »
Does anyone have an idea of when certification began?  Not just for JKD but in general.  I was actually thinking about this the other day.  At some point, someone must have said ?ahh haa!  You need certification to teach ?my? style.  And obviously before that it must have been a free for all.  Was certification adopted from a certain area of the world?  Did Japan or Korea coin the idea for instance then others liked the idea and followed in their foot steps?  I strongly believe in application over certification but out of the respect of others I feel that if they insist on certification to teach their style it is a must; as with Si-Gung Lee.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

watchdog

• View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/kalijeetkunedo
Re: World Jeet Kune Do federation?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 08:46:35 AM »
Quote from: KosherDog
Someone showed me this organazation: www.LeeJKD.com

I then went to their list of certified instructors and they include martial arts luminaries and greats like Dan Inosanto, Taki Kimura and Burton Richardson among others. It seems a bit shady, did they sign them up without theyr knowledge or consent or did they willingly sign up?

Thanks!

I do not think they are implying that the people on the list are certified by the organization; rather, they are just listing people out there who teach JKD.
Combative Martial Arts Systems - Jeet Kune Do & Filipino Kali Weaponry

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 09:52:35 AM »
Hargrave's site comes across like it is THE Offical JKD organization.  However, the closest thing to an "Offical" JKD site that I know of is http://www.bruceleefoundation.com which is run by Linda Lee and Taky.  The Foundation does not certify anyone.

For marketing purposes, Concord Moon L.L.P owns "the name, likeness, image, domain names, designs, and trademarks of, or associated with, Bruce Lee."

I don't know anything about Hargrave.  He might really be that good.  IMHO, the whole certification thing is BS ... it is just a piece of paper that costs $1000+ and a weekend of training or watching videos.  How many people fail to get certified after handing over the money?
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/