Author Topic: Attention East Coast  (Read 12706 times)

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Attention East Coast
« on: December 13, 2004, 06:31:52 PM »
Hey Everyone!

Since our training group is on the east coast we have less of a chance to be able to make it to the west coast for a Dog Brothers Gathering.  I am planning on getting out there this summer again to LA if my schedule allows it but the rest of our group will be stuck back in Pa.  I was wondering if any schools/groups would be interested in having a day of fighting up at our gym in Pa.  In all reality we can and are willing to travel anywhere in PA if need be to get some fighting in but we defintaly have the room to host the fights!  We are simply in need of some more interaction with people outside of our training group to help better ourselves both as fighters and martial artists.?

Let Me Know!

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

PennStateJudoka

• View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 09:23:47 PM »
Who do you train with?  I should be back in State College real soon.  Lemme know.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 04:02:37 AM »
We all train at Titan Fitness, the former State College Martial Arts Academy.  Where are you from?

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

PennStateJudoka

• View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 09:36:02 PM »
I'm the former captain of the Penn State Judo team.  Take a look in the White Building next time you're up that way.  I think they still have my trophy on display.

I now am an instructor at several dojos.  I started a MMA team with my buddy in Ocean City, MD.  Business keeps me in PA for most of the winter, so while I am here I instruct for Lancaster Judo.  We have four seperate facilties in the area that I teach at.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 03:05:53 AM »
By all means, you should join our group!
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 06:10:30 PM »
Just to let you in on what our class focus has been, we have been doing a lot of fight training as several of us are doing some comps in the up and coming months.  We also do a lot of sparring if thats your thing.  As a side note, maybe you could help me out in getting the Judo club to join in on a Crafty Dog seminar once we get one scheduled.  The plan has been for end of the summer but it has not been finalized yet.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

PennStateJudoka

• View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 08:35:07 PM »
I rather doubt that Coach Oishi is going to let the team attend anyone else's seminars.  Nothin' personal.  But Coach is old school Japanese.  If you wanted to get your grappling game in gear, I could arrange to get you into practice with the team.  Are you competing in MMA, or do you just do stickfighting?

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 08:48:42 PM »
Well,
  In all the comps I plan to do everything goes so I have continued in my roots of Shooto, MT, JKD, and of course Kali.  Our school has several great MMA fighters that are currently fighting.  The reason I mentioned the seminar is that as you know DBMA isn't just swinging a stick, I honestly can't think of any style/system that would not benefit from a seminar of DB material.  Some of my largest grappling epiphanies have been when I have a stick in my hand and I am on the ground.  Another reason is that I know of a club at PSU that took a kali seminar here in PA with us and they all absolutely loved it, they too were coming from a ground based system.
  I know what you mean about Oishi, I heard it through the grape vine that he isn?t exactly fond of the material taught at our school.  O well, he?s his ways.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

PennStateJudoka

• View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2005, 12:44:38 PM »
What club attended your seminar?  Tell me it wasn't Quantum Ju-Jitsu.  Those asses are the biggest morons in town.  I've known a couple guys who've trained at your school.  They all seemed like decent guys.  Maybe next time I get back up there, we can hit the mats.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2005, 12:59:59 PM »
Quote from: PennStateJudoka
What club attended your seminar?  Tell me it wasn't Quantum Ju-Jitsu.  Those asses are the biggest morons in town.  I've known a couple guys who've trained at your school.  They all seemed like decent guys.  Maybe next time I get back up there, we can hit the mats.

Nope wasn't QJJ,
  Ill PM ya about it.  I don't have anything bad to say about them though.  And if I did or ever do I don't really find any reason to speak of it.  At our school we feel its just not worth getting the the "our club hates your club war."  I would definitely love to roll with you at some point, I have been trying to up my ground game for a while and any new blood is good blood as far as my skills are concerned.  Who did you know that trained at SCMAA/Titan?

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

PennStateJudoka

• View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 09:09:27 PM »
I knew a couple kids who trained with your crew.  In particular, I knew a kid named Mike.  Small, blonde hair, seemed like a real trooper.  I can respect the fact that you don't want to get into the whole, 'we hate your club' war, but the fact remains, QJJ f-ing sucks.  I'm a pretty tolerant individual, but I won't cut those S.O.B's any slack.  Outside of that, yeah, we can roll sometime.  I'm buried in business obligations right now, but I should be up in State College sometime this semester.  I'll keep you posted.  Take care.

~Kevin

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 06:50:25 AM »
Yeah,
  Mike is one of the guys that is fighting out of the gym right now and has a great record.  He has been working his way up the chain in the CSW ranking under Mr. Erik Paulson also which has been a great addition to our classes.

I'm sorry to hear you hate QJJ so much, some stuff must have gone down between you and them.  They still have been bringing in some really good seminars that I usually go to and a few of the guys have actually stopped going to the club and started coming to our gym.  I believe the only reason is that they now have access to bags, the ring and mat at any time instead of having to sit around waiting for the rec room to be free of on campus.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

PennStateJudoka

• View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 08:29:23 PM »
I feel bad for anyone who accidentally gets involved with QJJ.  I know not everyone there is a bad person, but goddammit I can't stand Corey Wimberly.  Is that ass still teaching there?

Back in the day before QJJ even existed, he tried out for Judo.  I tossed him around and choked him out a few times.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  It's a rough sport and we don't coddle anyone.  Well, he decided he couldn't hack it and left.  No worries, no hard feelings, this sport isn't for everyone.

Then a few months later, this ass reemerges with a black belt, claming to be some great warrior.  He even had the audacity to demand training space from Coach Oishi and signed his email, 'Sensei Wimberly'.  Nearly every technique they teach is completely flawed.  Their form is atrocious.  And all that Warrior Yoga is gotta be the be the biggest pile of horseshit I have ever heard of.

It almost seems more like a cult to me than a fight team.  You ever see that one guy with the QJJ leg tatoo?  Scary.  Anyway, I've called out Wimberly in the past and he's always backed down, so maybe deep down, he knows his place.  But I think it's sad that others are being mislead down his path of failure.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 10:01:54 PM »
Woof PSJ:

Lets move forward from QJJ please.

TIA,
Crafty Dog

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 04:12:44 AM »
:)
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

PennStateJudoka

• View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 07:31:20 PM »
I'll be in State College this weekend.  Wanna train?

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 08:16:25 PM »
Hey!
  What would you want to do . . . . Roll?

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

PennStateJudoka

• View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 05:25:14 AM »
Yeah, sure.  I'm down for whatever.  Grappling is my forte, but I really enjoy MMA too.

metis

• View Profile
Attention East Coast
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 06:09:40 PM »
put me on the list for a stick event.