Author Topic: Not sure what stick art I train in?  (Read 7010 times)

FCTKD

• View Profile
Not sure what stick art I train in?
« on: December 22, 2004, 05:03:22 PM »
I started stick training about 4 months ago I had previously done TKD and Judo. I've been learning my stick work from my taekwondo instructor. I asked him where he had leaned his stick work from and he said he's been taught by a number of people over his 26 years of martial arts training.  He said that what he teaches is filipino in origin. After viewing your videos on power and footwork, I'm sure it is a filipino style. One major differance in our single stick training I noted is that we train with our stick in a rear guard position. Our empty hand is out infront of us to initiate our thrusts. Is this odd? Is there a specific style that trains with this stance?

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 11:24:48 PM »
Our empty hand is out infront of us to initiate our thrusts.  Is this odd?

Not against empty hand.  I have found it is rather common.  On the other hand (no pun intended) when dealing with stick against stick I am sure the hand will get pulled in after a couple nice wacks.  I learned my lesson for leaving it out there.  As Eric shows in the power videos to get it out there in between shots but not to leave it out there.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

prentice crawford

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 12:05:23 AM »
Hey FC,
  This type of stance is used in every weapon style out there. Its' main function is to cover distance when launching an attack, not as a defensive posture. You step into an on-coming attack with a block and counter attack. This leaves you righthand foreward and close, with your attacker on the defensive.
                                Woof P.C.

FCTKD

• View Profile
Thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 09:13:20 AM »
I'll keeping training both stances then  :)

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 11:43:25 AM »
I have only been training (Doce Pares) with sticks for just over a year, so if I get this wrong, I am happy to be corrected.

Which stick art?  I don't think it matters.  There are only so many ways to hit someone hard with a stick.  My first question would be, are they doing any real-speed / real-contact training?  I said this a guy who practices some Japanese stick art and he looked at me like I was from another planet (but he hasn't accepted my challenge to prove me wrong).

Back stance?  People tend to use the back stance in a range that works great if you are pillow fighting.  I like this stance in clinch range.  My off-hand can check, strike or create some space so I can swing.

Dog Corey
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/

FCTKD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 12:32:57 PM »
yup full speed full contact, albiet with padded sticks.

alex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 10:14:13 AM »
Quote from: Dog Corey
Back stance?  People tend to use the back stance in a range that works great if you are pillow fighting.  

Dog Corey

Don't underestimate pillow fighting. Some of those guys are lethal.