Author Topic: Need help choosing & using a bag, please  (Read 7856 times)

alex

• View Profile
Need help choosing & using a bag, please
« on: January 29, 2005, 03:47:17 PM »
I'm looking at getting a punchbag to hang in my home, I was wondering how suitable this type of bag (from my local fitness supplier) would be:

This is the 3ft version

and the 4ft version

They are both in my price range, my concern is that I often don't have anyone to hold the bag for me, is it going to swing wildly when doing punching and possibly kicking combos? I've never really done any bag work so frankly, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Unfortunately even the cheapest heavy bag is over my budget

and also I don't really have space for it.

Any specific or general advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 03:43:50 PM »
I think a couple things you need to think of before you get one are:

1.   Where are you going to hang it? - you need a sturdy beam or a free standing frame.
2.   What are you planning on doing? ? Thai, Boxing, Krabi-Krabong, etc.  This will have an impact on what size bag you should get.

When it comes to bag work part of the training is the bag swinging which trains agility and timing.  Bag work is meant for one person; if there were always two people there would be no reason for there to be a bag!  I recommend getting some bag training instructional videos or taking a few classes after you decide on a bag.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

alex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 01:36:08 AM »
Quote from: ryangruhn
I recommend getting some bag training instructional videos or taking a few classes after you decide on a bag.

Gruhn

Will do.

Mainly it'll be for boxing work. I just went to a Panantukan seminar with Neil Mcleod at the Bob Breen Academy in London, and had a blast. Although I was pretty pleased with how my footwork and sensitivity are coming along (I do almost all my training at home with a housemate, when he's around), ultimately my hitting tools felt weak and innaccurate. So I'm looking at working those punches and elbows at close quarters, mostly in terms of technique and timing rather than sheer power.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 11:47:30 AM »
Quote from: alex

Will do.

Mainly it'll be for boxing work. I just went to a Panantukan seminar with Neil Mcleod at the Bob Breen Academy in London, and had a blast. Although I was pretty pleased with how my footwork and sensitivity are coming along (I do almost all my training at home with a housemate, when he's around), ultimately my hitting tools felt weak and innaccurate. So I'm looking at working those punches and elbows at close quarters, mostly in terms of technique and timing rather than sheer power.

Cool!
  Sounds like you have the right idea of getting a bag to up the power in your punching and elbowing.  It is a good thing you brought up the elbows because when doing elbow strikes it is better not to do them on a canvas bag; it tears up your skin.  Try to get a leather bag (not canvas).  I have found the canvas bags can give you brush burns also.  If you do get a canvas bag you might start pushing into your elbows rather than driving through since driving through will give you brush burns.  This will train you to elbow in an incorrect manor.  Bag work is the best way to build power in your punches!  Let us know what you end up getting!

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 12:05:33 PM »
IMHO get a thai bag.  In the long run, it will be more useful than a the shorter bags used for boxing.  I have seen (on the internet) someone selling an unfilled thai bag for $100, so look around.  If you buy one, the empty/unfilled ones are cheaper.  Just fill it yourself with old clothes.

A very good source for heavy bags (and everything else) is http://www.craigslist.org/about/cities.html  find your city's page and look under sporting goods.  In the Sacramento area, I see all kinds of heavy bags for sale dirt cheap.

The problem with many of the low end bags is that often the sand bags (which should be in the center of the bag) are too close to the sides - it's like hitting clay.  I have made and custom packed or repacked several bags and can give you some ideas.

One of the cheapest bags I have made was from a large duffle bag I was given (they cost about $25 new from army surplus) and stuffed it with rolled up cardboard.  If I did it again, I would use old clothes instead of cardboard.

As for the swinging of the bag, many bags have straps on the bottom so you can secure it with some bungies to a cement block.  A shoe repair shop can sew on some straps (or repair damaged bags) for almost nothing.

One last lesson from my experiences.  Unless you just enjoy the challenge of making your own equipment - save money and time and buy it.  It is almost always cheaper than making it yourself.
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 12:22:49 PM »
Dog Corey,
  In all honesty I have never thought of old cloths.  I have a unfilled bag in my garage that has been sitting because I have yet to find a good "filler" for it.  Thanks for the enlightenment.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn