Author Topic: got my ass kicked 2day......  (Read 9109 times)

ponytotts

• Power User
    • View Profile
got my ass kicked 2day......
« on: February 09, 2006, 12:58:21 PM »
IN TRAINING! :oops:
wow. had my 2nd BJJ class 2 day and it was humbling 2 say the least. a kid 10 years younger than me with alot more experience on the ground. and he wipped the mat with me.  i gottalotta work 2 do! i am not 2
disheartend, but damn.......
just wanted 2 share.
tpotts
p.s.
wish this this had a spell check. i went 2 public school in the 80?s damnit! :roll:

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 04:01:37 PM »
"if a person can teach me one thing, they are of value to me"  :D

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

carlo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 11:16:18 PM »
I got my clock cleaned by a pro boxer.  I feel your pain.
A nation of one ancestry and race is weak. We must hold strong our custom of welcoming all foreigners who seek to join our cause, treating them with dignity and respect and teaching them our language and customs.

-Attila the Hun

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 07:02:20 AM »
"if a person can teach me one thing, they are of value to me"

This reminds me of "Everyone is here for a reason.  In the case of X, its to teach patience."

ponytotts

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 02:23:11 AM »
hope i am not misunderstood here. i didnt post this just 2 whine. the class was an eye opener 4 me. how difficcult the ground game is, my lack of skill with it and the type of conditioning requiered is different.
i didnt get much instruction on how 2 counter what he was doing. in retrospect i wonder if i was experiencing something similar 2 top or island dogs post( cant remember now which); in the "sparring progression" post. i.e. throw a newbie in the ring and see what he can do.

i will attend the lonely dog seminar in hannover, germany next month and  i am really looking forward 2 it!

woof, tpotts

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 08:15:47 AM »
And so it was taken.  Your attitude to the experience seems right on for growth.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 06:26:12 PM »
Quote from: ponytotts
hope i am not misunderstood here. i didnt post this just 2 whine. the class was an eye opener 4 me. how difficcult the ground game is, my lack of skill with it and the type of conditioning requiered is different.

woof, tpotts

YES.

My JJ instructor does that to me.  We roll three times a week, I have yet to get him once!  We have been going for two years at least.  I have about four other people that I roll with weekly which I can get most of the time but he does the same thing; humbles me.  I think it is important to always train with people better than you, to better yourself.  Sounds like you found a training partner you can learn a lot from.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

outcast

• View Profile
Hey
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 07:57:57 AM »
No worries, Potts.  I actually posted a similar post in the members area about 1 or 2 years ago.  I was really bad at ground, now I have a solid ground game.  It just takes time.  You'll get there.  I remember, because I kept giving my back.  You'll get it, and know that I was there too.

ponytotts

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 01:44:54 PM »
thanx guys. i really appreciate the support. the up side is i could c allot of the mistakes i was making nano seconds B4 the guy pounced.  i am sure it will come 2gether @ some point. i am waiting for instruction on the basics. guard, passing etc.
i looked @ stickgrapplers sight( wow! what an incredible source of info!), for some tips and drills 2 work on @ home, but i am not familiar enough with many of the terms.  though i am sure it will B a big help later.
for exymple, what the H!$$ is shrimping? i cant imagine forest gump has anything 2 do with BJJ!! :lol:
burned my arm @ work so i had 2 sit out last week, but i am back tomorrow. i will keep u posted.
thanx again!!

outcast

• View Profile
Shrimping
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 01:54:59 PM »
Shrimping is a move used to get out of the guard.  I'm trained in Shamrock Submission Fighting so my shrimp is different than most people's I think.  In fact, I had to do my shrimp in front of Frank Shamrock (I had previously trained with SBG) and I think he thought I was nuts.  The way I was taught from FS is two different ways either: start on side with fingers touching feet in a C like position then extend through your lower back using your legs and arms to push out, or start in an extended position and crunch yourself into the C position.

ponytotts

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 08:13:36 AM »
thnx outcast. i will keep working! on my way 2 class 2nite and i have a new attiude!

ponytotts

• Power User
    • View Profile
thats more like it
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 02:08:23 PM »
much better 2day. i had an epiphany in  class 2day and allot came 2gether! thanx outcast! the shrimping thing made a difference as well.
still gattalotta work 2 do, but i am not feeling so lost! 8)