Author Topic: I'm new to this! (Introduce yourself!)  (Read 13265 times)

wado-king

• View Profile
I'm new to this! (Introduce yourself!)
« on: June 11, 2003, 08:05:22 AM »
Hey everyone, i'm a big fan of DBMA and I have been for many year...infact you guys are the main reason why I started martial arts 11 years ago.
  I'm new to this and would like to get to know people through the forum...so please don't be afraid to PM me or post a reply.

Thanks again, and good health to you all!

:)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 01:58:21 AM by Crafty_Dog »
"martail arts isn't for everyone, it takes a special person to truly understand it"

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
I'm new to this!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 08:27:13 AM »
woof wado-king:

welcome to the forum!
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Anonymous

I'm new to this!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 09:44:30 AM »
Welcome, wado-king!

Spadaccino

• Power User
    • View Profile
I'm new to this!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 10:02:29 AM »
Uh, I mean,

Welcome, wado-king!
"And the rapier blades, being so narrow and of so small substance, and made of a very hard temper to fight in private frays... do presently break and so become unprofitable." --Sir John Smythe, 1590

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
I'm new to this!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 10:47:49 AM »
LOL @ TFS. remember to login bro :-)
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

5thprofession47

• View Profile
Re: I'm new to this!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 10:10:53 PM »
Well, this looks like a good place to say hello and introduce myself. It also looks like I am reviving a thread in some way. I looked for a "introduction thread" here and came up short. I have been training in martial arts since 1983. My interest in DBMA has really escallated over the past year as I have frequented the website and enjoyed watching the video clips.

My initial introduction to DBMA was several years ago when I saw an ad in a martial arts magazine---I thought man, that looks extreme and kind of forgot about it. As the media continued to cover DBMA, I was drawn to the teachings after listening to Mr. Denny speak. I think it was on some "Top Ten" martial arts program I had recorded. I was impressed by Marc's commentary and explanation of DB philosophy. My initial impression was very wrong! Not only was the fighting technical in its appraoch, the fellowship and brotherhood of like minded individuals really made an impression on me.

Fast forward to this past year (2006-2007). I have purchased the DLO1 DVD with Marc and Gabe (Suarez) and I was sold! Soon after this I found myself buying other DBMA DVD's as well as some sticks (whenI got the sticks I was suprised to see how big they were!). As I write this I am awaiting the arrival of a few more DVD's and my membership to DBMAA! The best part of this came two days ago when I received a phone call from Guro Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny himself! He was following up with some questions / business and we ended up taliking for 45 minutes. That was a blast. Thank you Mr. Denny.

Sorry for the long winded intro. I cannot wait to get to know the folks here and to learn as much as I can.

Stay safe,

Chris

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 12:42:54 AM »
My initial introduction to DBMA was several years ago when I saw an ad in a martial arts magazine

i remember seeing the DB videos in the panther videos section of Black Belt magazine...maybe 10 years ago? I think at that moment it became a matter of when, not if, i would try stickfighting...was anyone else immediately hooked?

Jeff M.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 11:24:23 PM »
yep, hooked the first time i saw a clip of one of the gatherings. unfortunately it took me till this monday to finally pick up a pair of sticks  :-( on the bright side i cant stop thinking about it and im sure my wife wants to shove my sticks down my throat so i stop talking to her about it also.

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 01:03:26 PM »
...my wife wants to shove my sticks down my throat so i stop talking to her about it also.
8-)

Get her a pair of sticks.  I bought my wife a set a long time ago...  She doesnt work out like I do, but she gets the feel of not being left out.  On occasion she has been know to come swinging...   8-)   Imagine a violent, angry woman with two sticks attacking you with no mercy and very unpredictable.  Part of my early motivation was learning how to defend EH vs Rolling Pin.   :cry: LOL

PS. I bought the sticks from this site around 1999-2000 - the old bundle of Ugly Sticks - she's still got em to this day.

This was long before I got a lap top and now I cant stay off the sites.  :-)

One last thought, "Dog Brothers", the new gateway drug for like minded Warriors with a thirst for blood.   :evil:

Dean

« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 01:05:59 PM by loyalonehk »
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Jeff M.

• View Profile
Re: I'm new to this! (Introduce yourself!)
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 04:38:59 PM »
i doubt my wife has any interest in picking up a pair since she very nicely told me "dont come crying to me when you get hurt" after showing her a clip from a gathering   :-) my son on the other hand lol.

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 10:24:09 AM »
Welcome Wado King, I first heard of the Dog Brothers in the early 90's from magazine ad's. I finaly bought my first video in "95 (stick vs other weapons) and realized that I had to do this. My first gathering was in 1996. That day everything changed. I finaly found the coolest thing in my martial arts journey and it remains so to this day.
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.  dalai lama

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 03:31:24 PM »
  i, too, remember seeing the 1st series advertised in blackbelt,etc. mags as part of panther's video catalogue. when i finally was able to get the 1st videos i NEVER thought i would EVER fight a gathering like most of you have said. i was hoping,though, it would be only a matter of time before i trained in DBMA though. i never would have thought i'd be where i am today in my DBMA journey.

Francisco