Dog Brothers Martial Arts Spring 2005 Camp.
What: Short Impact Weapons vs. the Big Bad Guy.
When: May 14-15
How much: $200 (10% discount for LEOs and Vets)
Where: Hermosa Beach, CA (9 miles south of Los Angeles LAX airport.
To apply, write to Cindy Denny email@example.com
If you are from out of town, she will be glad to help with practical matters like hotel suggestions and such.
A Howl of Greeting to All:
The main theme of this camp will be ?Short impact weapons against the Big Bully?.
Examples of ?short impact weapons?: short sticks, small tire irons, ASPs, flashlights, rolled up magazines, large and small screwdrivers, closed folder knives, palm sticks/kubotans, silverware, pens, and the like-- items that give you answer to that perennial and annoying
question "What do you do if you don't have your stick with you?"
The structure taught is highly applicable to the gun retention issues of LEOs. As always, our LEO and Military! discount applies.
At first glance, the idea of looking at SIWs from the point of view of the SIW man may seem odd? typically we look to solve the issue from the perspective of the less armed/unarmed man. Yet as we have seen repeatedly in ?Dog Brothers Gatherings of the Pack? it is VERY common, indeed probable, that when one man loses his stick, he succeeds in closing to clinch ad smothering the other man's stick.
When we look at things from our DBMA ?Walk as a Warrior for all your Days? Practitioner?s perspective, certain things become apparent:
1) Typically the ?problem? is younger, bigger, stronger, and meaner than we are-- the Big Bully. The less we have studied and trained for it, the more getting bum rushed and our SIW getting smothered is a very real possibility.
2) Because we avoid fights, if we are in one it is because it is being imposed upon us?and so "cheating" is entirely appropriate.
3) As a practical matter, it can be difficult to have large sticks, clubs, etc with you all the time, but it can be easy to carry various SIWs. Furthermore, the environment often offers various SIWs-- but you won't recognize them if you don't know how to use them.
4) Most SIWs do not trigger legal issues.
5) DAs and juries can be very unsympathetic to the use of guns and/or knives, even when they are legal.
I confess to being pretty tickled with myself with this block of material. We should have a real good time.
Guro Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny
Dog Brothers Inc. Martial ArtsCraftydog@dogbrothers.com
for applications, help finding hotels etc)
310-543-7521 This is a call anytime number.