Author Topic: how much is too much gear?  (Read 10531 times)

metis

• View Profile
how much is too much gear?
« on: April 11, 2005, 04:40:18 PM »
so, looks like i might be attending the Gathering in June.

one question that came to mind is about protective gear. how much is too much. i've seen pictures from different bouts and see the range from light pads and Mylec gloves to 'rigid' skateboard/rollerblade pads w/ hockey or lacrosse gloves. what's the usual? when does protection take away from the fight?

opinions?

thanks for looking....

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 08:29:13 AM »
metis,
  I plan on a fencing mask, mylec street hockey gloves and soft elbow and knee pads and the obvious coup and mouth piece.  Might I add that I will be bringing two of everything in the case that something breaks or I loose it.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

xtremekali

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/mykewillis/
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 11:26:34 AM »
Woof all,

I am leaning towards baseball batting gloves or a tactical kind of glove that has padding on the back of the hand but the palm is like a normal glove. Also soft knee and elbow pads.

Any one where I can get a good deal on a fencing helmet.

Myke
For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 12:38:02 PM »
metis,
how much is too much? what's the usual?

I wear a fencing mask, cup, mouth piece, knee pads and lacrosse gloves.  At my first Gathering, I wore more padding (It is hard to fight the desire to wrap yourself in foam).  By the next Gathering, as I got more comfortable with parrying and moving, I wore less padding.

As for how much is too much ... One time, I saw Crafty tell a guy to take off some padding.  The guy had elbow and fore arm pads with heavy hockey gloves.  The point is, these things work themselves out.  It'll be fine.

IMHO - Too much padding gets in the way of the experience.  It also sends a message.  It tells others how much confidence you have in your skill "Only you are responsible for you" AND it tells others how much trust you have in them to adher to the code "Be friends at the end of the day."  We are a tribe.  We are there to make each other better, not put each other in the hospital (overnight :wink: ).

Lets talk at the Gathering, I'll go one with you, if you agree.

xtremekali,
where can I get a good deal on a fencing helmet?

This forum has at least one threads on masks.  My words of wisdon on the subject are go a local fencing club get a used mask.  Any mask will do, but you only need what is called a "3 weapon mask" (the ones with the black screen).

I recently searched the Sacramento Craigslist "sporting goods" section with the term "fencing." I found a $10 mask for sale. Go to http://www.craigslist.org/about/cities.html find your city, run a search (or post a want ad) and see what comes up.  You have time.
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/

metis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 01:12:29 PM »
thanks,

probably go w/ rollerblade knees elbows and the street hockey gloves (one step up from Mylec). having a little plastic on my knee is basically a 'mental block' after my ACL surgery. doesn't stop me fighting though.

luckily i have a mask or two laying around here from my days w/ schlaegers.

i respect the 'take off some padding' approach. the game i usually play we wear 12ga. steel helmets, and you always get into the 'arms race' where people feel they have to dent whatever you bring out. got to the point were there were a couple 1/8" plate helmets around because people got tired of pounding out dents. i wear bare minimum to advertise that i don't play that game. got a great photo gallery of some spectacular bruises :).

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 07:00:11 PM »
I would opt against hard plastic (skateboarding, rollerblading) pads for the elbow pads.  Make sure you are able to extend and contract each joint as it would without the pad.  With such pads I have not recieved the full movement of my joints.

As for fencing helmets I got mine off of eBay and I LOVE THEM!

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com