Author Topic: new guy looking for some advise..  (Read 5009 times)

jagger26

• View Profile
new guy looking for some advise..
« on: April 15, 2006, 02:28:14 PM »
Greetings All,
I am new here.  I have a question about staff work based on the DVD presented by DB.  If my unarmed stance is typically (naturally) left foot forward/right hand power side, is it supposed to feel awkward when I train with my staff in the same position.  When I am training the right foot forward/left hand on top and I work the M.Strike I feel "natural."  When I work the left foot forward/right hand on top I feel awkward.  Why?  I train both sides for my unarmed, basic knife work and to a degree my baton/stick work.  I never feel awkward when I am working with a left foot forward/right hand power.  I have only been working with my staff for a couple days.  Does this feeling of awkwardness go away (like with other things that I have trained) or am I doing things wrong (I am currently working the solo workout for staff with a 4 foot plus walking staff (light; hardwood, smooth but not perfectly strait or consistent thickness; made from a tree limb).  This is my first time working with a weapon longer then a 21 in baton/stick.  Working with the staff that I have because I actually use this staff when I go hiking/trail walking.  Always wanted to learn actual staff combat since a child and figured it would be best to learn on what I have.  Any comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

VR,

Jagger

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 07:28:37 AM »
I suggest changing stance and grip in a repetitive metronome type of way.  Similar to Siniwali I have found that the body and mind sync better when the bilateralism is trained in drills.  A grip/stance changing drill should do the same thing.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 09:04:38 AM »
Woof Jagger:

Sorry this slipped off my radar screen for a while.

In answer to your question, yes it is quite normal to feel more at ease with a particular foot forward.  The solution is flight time with the other foot forward :)

IMHO there are deep and powerful physical benefits to the training outlined in the DVD.  Precisely because the work goes deep, it is particularly important to work all the variables (Malayu stroke with each hand on top, done with each foot forward.) in equal measure.

Woof,
Crafty Dog

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 02:24:46 PM »
Train your weakness into strenghts through consistant practice and polish your strengths.  You will find balance through persistance.  

Focus on using your whole body throughout each strike to break the discomfort with foot work then mix it up a bit...  When you strike with R hand power without stepping through with the stroke of the weapon you restrict the natural follow through power of the strike.  With a longer weapon the main idea is to follow through with the power stroke and be sure that your foot work is naturally clearing the path of the weapon alowing for natural flow to the follow on strikes.  Of course this is just the beginning and with persistant practice the weapon should just naturally become nothing more than an extension of your body. :wink:

V/R
Dean
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com