Author Topic: KALI TUDO (tm) Article  (Read 165040 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: KALI TUDO (tm) Article
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2007, 01:59:27 PM »
Woof All:

Just a quick yip to say that we are looking to shoot KT2 and maybe KT3 in August.  We haven't decided how to organize it, but subject areas are:

KT for the Clinch
KT against the Guard
KT Guard

TAC,
Guro Crafty

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2007, 01:56:12 PM »
Woof All:

Night Owl and I were assembling some footage earlier today of the early days for the National Geographic documentary and we stumbled across the future Top Dog sparring Kali empty hand against the future Shark Dog in 1984.  Very interesting!  We will probably have this as an extra in KT 2  :-D

Yip!
CD
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 08:22:27 PM by Crafty_Dog »

krait44

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2007, 04:25:38 PM »
There are not many DVD series out there that I am fully obsessed over. I am saving money now.

Thanks

Krait
Forewarned, forearmed; to be prepared is half the victory.
Miguel de Cervantes

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2007, 04:37:15 AM »
My intended assistant for KT 2 recently hurt his elbow so the shoot has been put back at least 6 weeks.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2009, 06:03:39 PM »
With "Kali Tudo 2: The Running Dog Game" coming out soon, I am bringing this one back to the top.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2009, 08:52:03 PM »
Cool!
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2009, 09:36:51 AM »
Through the books.google project you can read the Jan 2000 DB article:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ks8DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA83&dq=%22dog+brothers%22+%22marc%2Bdenny%22#PPA80,M1

That link will bring it the first page of the article. One other article (books.google only goes through 2004) goes over much of what can be found on the main DB website.

Chad

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2009, 11:03:59 PM »
Woof All:

It occurs to me to bring something out that I may not have yet communicated effectively.

===================

The conceptual starting point for our Kali Tudo subsystem is this the article that begins this thread.  Its a rather long article, but everything that follows from the "KT Intro" double disc is within the context of the framework this piece lays out.

Here's where things go from here:

a) The Running Dog Game will be out in the next few weeks (pre-orders being taken now);

b) We finish the third disc in the "DBMA Die Less Often Reality Series" titled "DLO 3: The Kali Fence for Civilians and LEOs", this will include footage shot at the Dayton OH PD training facility-- a hearty woof of thanks for permission to use!  Know that there will be additional info for LEOs, either on a separate disc or secure web-clips.  This should not take long, the edit is about 80% done already--estimated time: one month;

c) Then we return to "KT-3: The Arf-ful Dodger and the Dracula: Angular striking crashes against Joe Generic MMA Guy"
The Arrful Dodger disc is about 80% shot already (including great footage with the Hawaii Clan of the DBs) and should be finished in fairly steady progression from there.

d) Unshot so far, but conceptually mostly worked out and in the pipeline is "KT for the Clinch".

In short, DBMA's "Kali Tudo(tm)" is a substantial sub-system of DBMA that accepts the challenge of the Cage, as measured by the Street.  It is your unarmed expression of our training together.  The idea is precisely that the movements of the empty hands ARE like the movements of the weapons.  IT WORKS, but only if you are trained with the understanding of people who have hit people in weapons fight. 

Without the wisdom of the adrenal experience of weapons, where is the understanding to impart to the EH expression?

To be perfectly clear, I am NOT saying that KT will help ONLY weapons fighters.  NO!  Just as was seen in DLO-1, there is plenty here for MMA players looking for something sharp and off-center.  That said, maximal value will be obtained by those with weapons skills.

Why is this significant?  Because it yields a practitioner in the street who should not be surprised by a weapon because his idiom of movement IS the same whether he has weapons or not.

The Adventure continues!
Guro Crafty

William

• View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2009, 03:25:09 AM »
Excellent!

I’m looking forward to checking these out…especially the KT clinch material. I’ve been training Thai & FMA for a while now and I find that they blend together very well. I especially like the FMA footwork/angling/open hand to get into the clinch. Then using a combination of the two striking, flowing, locking, unbalancing, and throwing. Also used in conjunction with hip/body torqueing and close range PT side stepping to unbalance the opponents structure and deliver blows  and/or counters.

Fun stuff……I think I’m drooling a little.  :-D :wink:

William
Mongrel Combative Systems
www.mongrelcombativearts.com

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2009, 04:52:41 AM »
I've been lucky enough to train some of the KT material with Guro Crafty on a couple of occasions.  With the brief exposure I've had, I've still been able to utilise the ideas and tactics in real time MMA sparring with a healthy degree of success.

I'm looking forward to the future KT products (my pre-order is in  :wink:), and would heartily advise all here to check them out.

prentice crawford

« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2009, 09:27:54 AM »
Woof,
 When you pre order the KT2 Running Dog Game DVD, you definitely want to go ahead and buy a DBMA membership as well. That will put you up front on all the material and you'll have a better grasp of how to integrate everything into your fighting style.
 I'm looking forward to the KT2 DVD, like all the members are; this is going to be powerful stuff that raises everybody's game and it has street practical application that could save your bacon.
 So tail wags to Guro Crafty, for revealing some of his closely guarded core material and I hope I got my order in before he has to go to a second production to cover all the back orders he's going to get. I don't want to wait at the back of the line on this one! :-P
                     P.C.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:41:25 AM by prentice crawford »

prentice crawford

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2009, 06:35:54 AM »
Woof,
 Guro Crafty, even in the final moments of the soon to be released KT2 Running Dog Game, is still adding vintage footage from the Philippines and making last second edits to ensure that the quality and content of this block of instruction represents not just the nuts and bolts of effective technique but the true spirit of Dog Brothers Martial Arts. This means that I'll have to wait a little longer to get my grubby little rattan blistered hands on this chunk of gold, but it also means that you still have time to get in your pre order.
 Trust me, there is a line already forming and you want to get in there now! There's a bunch of members that already pre ordered because we had the inside scoop, and now as word spreads throughout the martial arts community, the stampede is going to hit. So don't be the last guy to get your DVD. If you take your martial art seriously, when you go to the website store to pre order, go ahead and join the DBMA. Not only will you add to your knowledge, you will learn how to make what you already know, more effective and valuable to you. And remember: if it doesn't hurt a little, it just ain't real fighting! :evil:
                                      P.C.

TomFurman

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.physicalstrategies.com
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2009, 10:00:22 AM »
We've discussed "The Tree That Walks" having input. How has he influenced your street game of Kali Tudo?
--Tom

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2009, 11:37:41 AM »
My good friend the Poz was a nationally competitive wrestler, unusually strong even by the standards of wrestling, and part of the backyard crew when the Gracies and the Machados were still together.  He was a professional bounty hunter, a man of much adventure, and is a BB under Rigan Machado.  More than particular technique, what I have learned from the Poz comes from stories he has shared and conversations we have had.

TomFurman

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.physicalstrategies.com
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2009, 07:18:19 PM »
Sounds great Marc. Too bad there is not a "Poz and Crafty" interview like you and TopDog in the first DVD.

---Tom
www.tom-furman.blogspot.com

prentice crawford

« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2009, 01:09:58 PM »
Sounds great Marc. Too bad there is not a "Poz and Crafty" interview like you and TopDog in the first DVD.

---Tom
www.tom-furman.blogspot.com
Woof,
 There's not going to be any room for chit chat on this DVD. I have it on good authority that this DVD is meat filled and there will be be plenty of bones to chew on for all you dogs out there. No disappointments here.
 Guys you need to get your order in, I'm telling you, you don't want to be at the back of the line. The first batch will be sold out in no time at all. You owe it to yourself to make this investment in your training and knowledge; this isn't something you can leave out and say "I'm a well rounded fighter". This is the kind of DVD instruction that will make everything you already know much more valuable to you. So make all the hard work you've put into your martial arts pay off for you; snag this DVD while you still can, you deserve it. Get it, and go out there and kick some butt! 8-)
                              P.C.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 02:00:17 PM by prentice crawford »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2009, 01:07:02 PM »
Woof All:

I've started interacting with one of the better known wrestling oriented trainers in MMA and we look to shoot some footage together in the near future.

The Adventure continues!
Crafty Dog

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
 :mrgreen:  Looking forward to the knowledge that comes from the footage.
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Zirconia KOs Liddell
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2009, 11:41:33 AM »
Am I fair to call this an example of the Zirconia technique the I teach in "Kali Tudo"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1hTrO8FSTs&feature=player_embedded

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2009, 11:56:43 AM »
YES!

Our stand up crew has always called this exact footwork & punch the "Steve Austin" because it looks like a close line.  I love how he starts off with a quick false lead fake before he hits it.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Tony Torre

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2009, 05:59:06 PM »
I'd like to suggest anyone looking into KT should also check out Snaggle Tooth Variations. STV will help sort out the footwork issues making KT much more digestible.  Great works indeed. 

Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group
www.miamiarnisgroup.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Newsletter
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2009, 04:09:45 PM »
Woof Marc ,

Yesterday while up at the Inosanto Academy I noticed a quote up on the board that caught my attention:

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."John Wooden.

How very true!  In a similar vein we began our "Kali Tudo: Running Dog Game" with this quote:

"The greatest obstacle to discovering the shape of the earth, continents and the oceans was not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge."Daniel J. Boorstin

In contrast, in MMA today, many tend think like this:  "If we don't see it in the cage, it must not be valid because if it were valid, we would see it in the cage."   The illusion of insight contained in this tautology presents a tremendous challenge in our mission of establishing "Kali Tudo"(tm) as having worthy contributions to real MMA.   I underline at this moment that the true mission of KT is not the young male ritual hierarchical combat of MMA, but to test the idioms of fighting movements, tactics, and strategies that we seek to use for the street wherein where weapons (concealed or otherwise) and uneven numbers of players (concealed or otherwise) or part of the reality.

As founder/head instructor of Dog Brothers Martial Arts, my thought is that MMA simply is a subset wherein we test and install in the adrenal state our Kali Silat idioms of movement in a pure empty hand context.  Kali claims the movements of the empty hand are like those of the weapons.  Is this claim true, or is it simply fantasy martial arts and crafts?  We search for Truth, and when the facts prove us wrong, we change our minds.  My research so far, persuades me deeply of the validity of Kali/Kali Silat/"Kali Tudo" for MMA.

In "Kali Tudo 1" I sought to establish some understandings of footwork that would reach both pure MMA types as well as practitioners more grounded in the FMA.   Some people really got it and raved, and others were more... "well, I like Guro Crafty, but for me this one was a bit of a let down."  I suspect that in part this was because they were not seeing the kind of trapping and destructions as seen in hubud and other similar training methods.

I made a deliberate choice that to include such motions in the KT-1 would be a bridge too far for too many viewers and left that next step to KT2: The Running Dog Game.   The RDG does show Kali limb destructions, trapping and non-thrusting/boxing strikes against the guard.  Why against the guard? Because with the ground behind the opponent, he cannot move away very easily and it is easier to maintain trapping range-- and this IMHO has been one of the two primary missing links for FMA people who have looked to apply Kali empty hands.

Thus it is in Kali Tudo 3 (working title: Blending the Arfful Dodger and the Dracula) that we will put it together for standing striking-- the Kali/Kali Silat/Kali Tudo destructions and striking methods against an opponent who can move around.

My larger point is this:  What you have seen so far in KT-1 and KT-2: The Running Dog Game, are building blocks of something in which I believe has a lot of merit and that more is coming.  I am very excited to have started a "Dog Brothers Team Kali Tudo" group in Hermosa Beach
http://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index.php?topic=1825.0

Thus it is a great pleasure when I receive emails such as those from Max, the author of this blog http://maxiitheblindwatchmaker.blogspot.com/2009/05/training-kali-tudotm-week-two.html
sharing with me something of his explorations with our KT material.  I particularly appreciate that he a) gives credit and b) does not seek to give away our "trade secrets" that I offer in our DVDs c) and instead encourages people to come to DBMA for them.

As the saying goes, integrity is what you do when no one is looking and I thank Max for his.  Also see his review at:
http://maxiitheblindwatchmaker.blogspot.com/2009/05/dog-brothers-kali-tudo-review.html.

I sincerely hope that other people out there will do the same thing (explore the material, give credit, protect the trade secrets for our benefit, and send people our way).  In particular, the Kali Tudo thread on our forum would be a good place to share too.  And, if I may be indulged a moment of shameless marketing, best of all would be to join the Dog Brothers Martial Arts Ass'n:
http://dogbrothers.com/amember/

"Walk as a warrior for all your days!"
Guro Crafty

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

selfcritical

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2009, 03:02:07 PM »
This strikes me as a very versatile set of striking motions within the KT framework.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC_JEH1aQtg&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloodyelbow.com%2F2009%2F7%2F11%2F945871%2Fufc-100-preview-frank-mirs-arsenal&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2009, 08:44:33 AM »
Indeed it is within the KT framework, see e.g. the snaggletooth metronome training in KT 1.

selfcritical

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2009, 02:15:55 PM »
I'd never really worked the Lead Uppercut out of unmatched lead before, at least not without engaging with the other limb. I was very suprised at how easily Mir worked it on Nog.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2009, 10:28:16 AM »
The key of course is achieving the outside angle and having the ability to read that the front hand is a jab and not a hook  :-o :lol:  which is why I (and you?) prefer to have an engagement with the front hand.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2009, 09:39:08 AM »
TTT!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »
Let the puns begin-- I named a Dracula combination today: "The Dracula brings the stake, hammer, and a cross."

Would you like your stake well done, medium, rare, or bloody?

How can Dracula use a cross without it hurting him?  In my case, I am Jewish.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2010, 01:56:54 PM »
Good times with Boo Dog this morning. Boo has some really nice things with regard to our Kali Tudo anti-guard that will be appearing in DBMA curriculum. We have The Running Dog Game, and Boo is bringing what we will probably be calling The Dog Leg Game.

Dog Howie

• Power User
  • Unexpected Anomolies
    • View Profile
    • My Duncan RiZe MySpace page
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2010, 12:30:46 PM »
I hope you guys don't mind me mentioning that IMHO Boo Dog was also an unsung hero in the Kali Tudo training Camp this past weekend. For those not there he served as "opponent" for Kenny Johnson and Crafty who both subjected him to all sorts of assaults upon his being... and they did it at several angles, over and over and over again. But Boo Dog just kept going and going and going. He got knocked down and hit the mats so many times I'm surprised there are not brush burns all over his face.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Boo Dog
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2010, 10:13:50 AM »
Boo is at pro level in MMA and spars regularly with UFC fighters out of Gokor's gym.  He is an instructor under Gokor and a professional full time MA instructor-- and a cool guy.

selfcritical

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »
Ideas on "strafing" with the zirconia.

In the event of wanting to get back out upon completing a zirconia combo ("false jab" to cross or hook, perhaps finishing with a lead hook while drifting to the side), what method of restablishing range has worked best for you and students in sparring? My inclination is to think that a retreat along the back 45 degree angle of the triangle (toward my rear foot) would be sensible, but this might require onlya  little adjustment.

My understanding is the material is really meant to support a "crash" but, I've found myself thinking often "I'm considerably faster than this person, and they have clinch skills", so this is something I'm making an effort to play around with in a boxing environment. 

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2010, 10:19:58 AM »
With the upcoming release of "Kali Tudo 3" it occurs to me to bring this TTT.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The KT Adventure continues!
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2011, 06:07:15 PM »
Woof:

Once I show some material and let people work with it, I like walking around the room and interacting hands-on with people to help them-- but this helps me too.  The variety of body types and responses is a wonderful laboratory for presenting me with questions of which I may not have thought-- likewise with solutions and new ideas.

Life truly is an Adventure!
CD

Cranewings

« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2011, 07:08:27 PM »
Ideas on "strafing" with the zirconia.

In the event of wanting to get back out upon completing a zirconia combo ("false jab" to cross or hook, perhaps finishing with a lead hook while drifting to the side), what method of restablishing range has worked best for you and students in sparring? My inclination is to think that a retreat along the back 45 degree angle of the triangle (toward my rear foot) would be sensible, but this might require onlya  little adjustment.

My understanding is the material is really meant to support a "crash" but, I've found myself thinking often "I'm considerably faster than this person, and they have clinch skills", so this is something I'm making an effort to play around with in a boxing environment.  

I'm working on some of this myself (sense I just went to the TN seminar). I started that thread about the defensive round house kick which I guess could have been posted here after I reply to this.

When I've used the DBMA false lead / zirconia, I pretty much always get back out when I want. Basically, I think most people feel that they have an advantage against you when you step into a false lead. They want to take advantage of it but you are keeping them busy for a moment by irritating them with the jab. I FEEL like this creates a lot of thought in the target of the zirconia (dealing with the jab, feeling like they have an advantage, and not sure how to capitalize). While the best possible thing they could do is step in right after you take the first step because your feet are practically crossed, they won't because they are pressed, thinking to heavily, and uncomfortable (this isn't science, just my thoughts on it).

Because the second step and hit is so damned heavy, they aren't going to step in once it starts. They will either get stuck and plant (best possible) or step back (ok). But what they won't do is grab the cross. Its hard to defend and attack at the same time and once the second step starts, they are going to be defending. As long as you don't stick around to see what happened after you throw the cross, you should have a second to do whatever next thing you want - press or step out. I've NEVER gotten in trouble once I start the second step of the zirconia. I only get in trouble when I step into the false lead, and that trouble is directly related to either my jab being weak or taking the step when my opponent is on the attack.

I'm sparring either Thursday or Tuesday and I'm sure to be trying this stuff out again then and I'll probably have better thoughts about it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 07:10:59 PM by Cranewings »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2011, 09:24:51 PM »
Keep us posted  :-)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2011, 05:05:24 PM »
Though I don't post about every little new idea, I continue to play with this material and get positive feedback from people who are bringing it into their sparring.  I continue to look for the right fighter(s) to showcase this material in the cage.

The Bolo Punch increases in importance.  Not only does it work nicely in its own right as a strike, throwing it seems to really discourage low line shoots.

Cranewings

« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2011, 09:08:26 PM »
I haven't put the bolo punch in yet. I need to focus on it more.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I got side tracked for a couple of weeks by a knee injury.

I've sparred a couple of times recently, mostly against people that I think are really good. The main thing I've found about using the dracula's footwork is that people seem afraid of it. While I haven't made it work as often as I like, I haven't been countered using it, at all. People run from it.

I think the next step in making it bread and butter is figuring out how to read when I can use it without scaring them to completely retreat. If there is limited space, like in a ring, them backing up has still helped me, even if I didn't get the move off.

Great stuff.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2011, 08:35:27 AM »
CW:

You are on track!

Forgive me the moment of shameless marketing, but there is more full discussion of this question within the DBMA Ass'n :wink:

Yip!
CD

Cranewings

« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2011, 02:00:08 PM »
CW:

You are on track!

Haha, thanks.

Forgive me the moment of shameless marketing, but there is more full discussion of this question within the DBMA Ass'n :wink:

Yip!
CD

DBMA Ass'n?

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2011, 02:24:05 PM »

Yip!
CD

DBMA Ass'n?

Woof CW:

http://dogbrothers.com/amember/signup.php

http://dogbrothers.com/amember/

It's the members only portion of the site, discussions not meant for the public forum... you get access to Vid-Lessons - not meant to be shared with general public, 10% discount on items sold in the Store, discuss DBMA with other members (some of them instructors from other systems, as well as some being full DB), also ask Guro C something and get a reply that he wouldn't normally disclose in public forum, etc.

There is a LOT of information and knowledge shared in the DBMMA forums by Guro C as well as other DBMAAers! Highly reco'd!!

edit:  if you are serious about DBMA, DBMAA is a must. I neglected to renew my membership recently when I sent in my order for loads of dvd's... saving now and cannot wait to get back in DBMAA.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:31:36 PM by Stickgrappler »
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Cranewings

« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2011, 07:48:25 PM »
Ah ha, got ya. Thanks (:

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »
Ah ha, got ya. Thanks (:

Woof CW:

N E Time lefty ;-)

Very truly yours,

~sg
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Cranewings

« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2011, 10:31:43 PM »
I've gotten pretty good with the technique we were talking about here. After the diamond step, attacking the arm feels like my bread and butter because people usually move so far back from it. I've also been working for a while on taking running steps straight forward and stepping into heavy TKD kicks. After the diamond step, its easy to get into a chase situation so being able to rush into long kicks has done pretty well.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2011, 02:20:38 AM »
 8-)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
KT version of the Dog Catcher
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2011, 08:50:55 AM »
A fine time was head this past weekend with Carlos and Pete in Chicago, and for those playing hooky from work, on Monday too.  Amongst the material taught was the unveiling of the Dog Catcher Game for Kali Tudo.  Up to now I have shown the DC only in the context of it as an anti-knife pick up.  The idea that it was also part of our Kali Tudo has always been there, but this is the first seminar where I have actually shown it.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2011, 05:56:47 PM »
I've been working with this material and the progression for teaching more since then and I am liking it more and more.  I sense the birth of a major block of material.

The Adventure continues!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2013, 04:28:16 AM »
John Renken, whose endorsement of "Kali Tudo" is quoted in the article, recently got ahold of the footage of one of his fights:  It is a very quick KO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhP6y1tkFwA&feature=youtu.be&a

at approx 0300.