Author Topic: MMA Thread  (Read 567299 times)

Ronin

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: MMA Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 08, 2008, 01:19:10 PM »
I agree,

Here is what a fighter should be able to do:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSRSZoslPZI[/youtube]

Minus the crappy dancing which, by the way, always demeans a fighter.
Silva is a class act, he shouldn't do those silly things, must be the "samba in him" ;)
Never care much for the post KO celebration some fighters do, always tasteless.

tankerdriver

« Reply #151 on: September 08, 2008, 08:07:59 PM »
I read on Sherdog today that Evan Tanner is dead!

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2008, 09:30:15 PM »
You read right.  Died doing a survival outing of some sort.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2008, 12:59:13 AM »
Great example Dog Ryan.

Ronin, FWIW I did not find the vicotry dance to be disrespectful at all.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2008, 03:17:10 AM »
The dance actually has its roots in being a post victory prair / thank you to the king, family, coaches, etc. that the fighter will be able to fight again without being seriously injured in the fight he just fought. 

This however, I find offensive:

Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2008, 03:25:58 AM »
Earlier in the night he had some things where he was playing with his nipples.  :?  Weird.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2008, 03:32:16 AM »
OOOOO!!!!!!!!  I forgot to post about this.  It's a thing that Greg Jackson has all of his fighters doing.  Licking your fingers and tweaking your nipples actually releases hormones in both men and women.  GSP did it too.  Nipple stimulation causes the body to produce the hormone oxytocin. http://www.filly.ca/health/body/sexual_health/Oxytocin.asp

Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2008, 06:46:45 AM »
The dance actually has its roots in being a post victory prair / thank you to the king, family, coaches, etc. that the fighter will be able to fight again without being seriously injured in the fight he just fought. 

why is this offensive?? it's pretty funny to me, especially if you get the joke. it's no more & no less than what liddell does after he wins, or when a fighter jumps up on the cage and back flips, or when barnett slashes his throat, etc., etc.

Francisco

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2008, 06:52:23 AM »
I find the nipple tweeking offensive  :-D

Ronin

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 09, 2008, 07:14:53 AM »
Great example Dog Ryan.

Ronin, FWIW I did not find the vicotry dance to be disrespectful at all.

To each their own, I find an over indulgent NFL type victory dance unbecoming of a fighter and a professional.
A show of celebration like a fist pump or hugging his corner is fine, and even Bas's jumps or flips AFTER the  match is ok, but you just KO some guy ot choke him out and while the medical staff are making sure he is ok you start prancing like a peacock and doing something that is appropraite for a gay strip club, that is a tad to demeaning in my view.

tankerdriver

« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2008, 08:52:16 AM »
I know whats with the nipple tweaking thing, I don't buy the endorphine releasing thing. Come on now kids are watching! Apparently after the fact Rashad's coach claimed to have Liddell's number with the whole game plan thing. Makes sense because in the second round Rashad seemed to have found his range before the big knockout.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2008, 12:15:28 PM »

Celebration is one thing, like Chuck does.  Or jumping up on the cage.  However, Tito's thing he does, Brock's thing he did, cutting the throat, are all uncalled for.

why is this offensive?? it's pretty funny to me, especially if you get the joke. it's no more & no less than what liddell does after he wins, or when a fighter jumps up on the cage and back flips, or when barnett slashes his throat, etc., etc.

Francisco
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2008, 07:06:18 PM »
" , , , while the medical staff are making sure he is ok you start prancing like a peacock and doing something that is appropraite for a gay strip club, that is a tad to demeaning in my view."

Oh.   I only noticed the part where he did some Muay Thai Wai Kru looking sort of a thing.  Sexual movements? :-o  We're in complete agreement! :-D

Ronin

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 10, 2008, 04:32:08 AM »
" , , , while the medical staff are making sure he is ok you start prancing like a peacock and doing something that is appropraite for a gay strip club, that is a tad to demeaning in my view."

Oh.   I only noticed the part where he did some Muay Thai Wai Kru looking sort of a thing.  Sexual movements? :-o  We're in complete agreement! :-D

LOL, I wasn't referring to Silva in particular, but antics in general.
Silva is still the best in my book and the MT "ritual" I can live with, the samba is a tad silly though.
I have seen guys put more effort into their celebrations than they did in the actual match !

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2008, 08:13:46 AM »
The ultimate respect IMHO:

Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Ronin

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 10, 2008, 08:42:49 AM »
The ultimate respect IMHO:

Indeed, too bad we don't see more of that.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 10, 2008, 10:39:46 AM »
Randy Couture, and GSP come to mind , , ,

Ronin

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 10, 2008, 11:52:51 AM »
Randy Couture, and GSP come to mind , , ,

Yep, class acts both of them, comforting to see that in GSP, being a "next generation" fighter, of course he is Canadian, ;)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 10, 2008, 08:33:09 PM »
Canada has been putting out some excellent fighters, both physically and in character. 

Ronin

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 11, 2008, 04:09:01 AM »
Canada has been putting out some excellent fighters, both physically and in character. 

Its the cold weather, it toughens you up and if you get too cocky, you get thrown out barefooted in the snow.
Ah, I miss those days...

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2008, 12:26:32 AM »
An interesting announcement by Affliction, it appears that they joined forces with Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Affliction, Golden Boy Join Forces
 Options: Email Article | Printer Friendly
Affliction, Golden Boy Join Forces
Saturday, September 13, 2008
by Mike Sloan (msloan@sherdog.com)

LAS VEGAS -- Popular clothing company Affliction and its mixed martial arts promotion might not be dying on the vine, as UFC President Dana White claimed. The apparel giant canceled its planned Oct. 11 card in Las Vegas, and rumors swirled that Affliction might be another one-and-done MMA promotion.

Affliction announced on Saturday a blockbuster partnership with powerful boxing company Golden Boy Promotions. Golden Boy, created by superstar and future Hall of Fame boxer Oscar De La Hoya, is arguably the leading promotional firm in boxing, and its partnership with Affliction, also a fledgling MMA promoter, is significant for both MMA and boxing.

Golden Boy purchased “The Ring Magazine,” the world’s longest-running boxing periodical, and its ancillary publications last year and just recently scooped up the United States’ only amateur pugilism program -- USA Boxing. Now it appears poised to help make MMA even bigger using a somewhat risky endeavor with Affliction.

“Since our acquisition of ‘The Ring’ last year, we were looking to find ways to bring the younger audience to the magazine, as well as to boxing,” said Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer. “Affliction, which really is an iconic brand, has captured that younger audience, and so we’ve been sitting down with the owners of Affliction and trying to find ways to cross promote the two sports. It’s great for the fighters; it’s great for both sports.”

Golden Boy has become the new guard in boxing, and its promotional and marketing ideas have changed the approach to how the sport should be handled. Always willing to try new ideas in an effort to grow its already superfluous stable of elite talent, Golden Boy’s partnership with Affliction does not come as much of a surprise. Considering that De La Hoya, his public relations staff and Schaefer have hinted to Sherdog.com on numerous occasions that promoting MMA was “a possibility,” it was a matter of when, not if it would happen.

“We’ve been looking into mixed martial arts for some time now,” Schaefer said. “I’ve been studying and following it and have educated myself about it, and we finally decided to throw our hat into the mixed martial arts ring.”

What’s even more intriguing is the fact that Golden Boy does not plan to branch out and create a separate entity solely for MMA shows. Instead, its goal is to assemble massive pay-per-view events that will integrate both boxing and MMA in one night in the same ring. Though neither Schaefer nor Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio (Pictures) commented on potential blockbuster cards, the notion of a fight night featuring boxers the caliber of Bernard Hopkins and Joel Casamayora, along with world-class mixed martial artists like Josh Barnett (Pictures) and Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) is no longer far-fetched.

Atencio was as enthused as anyone about the partnership.

“Golden Boy is the top promoter in the industry in the world,” he said. “They think outside the box, and this is just another example of what they do. We’re going to bring top MMA fighters and top boxers together in one night. This is a great partnership, alongside our partnership with M-1 Global and Fedor, and this just brings another level to MMA. I think the two worlds have finally merged.”

Questions surround how exactly the two powerhouses will pull off their inaugural event, let alone the four they have planned in 2009. Atencio had some ideas but opted to leave those decisions to the experts.

“I think with Golden Boy, we’re going to leave that up to them,” Atencio told Sherdog.com. “They have the expertise. They’ll do all the production side of everything, and we’ll do what we do as far as MMA goes, like matchmaking. [Golden Boy] will do the matchmaking with boxing. [Pulling it off] is something we have to sit down with Golden Boy and talk about. I know some of the events in the past that have done this, or tried to do this, have either done one MMA match with all boxing or all mixed martial arts with only one boxing [match]. Quite honestly, I don’t know what we’re going to do.”

Atencio said the debut event under the new “strategic partnership” will come in the first quarter of 2009, and though he said the date for the show remains up in the air, he said it will most likely fall in January. He also said that the Oct. 11 card from Las Vegas was postponed because of the pending partnership, and the card, or least some of the match-ups from it, could fill out the MMA portion of the first event. Atencio made it clear that the premiere was too far out to state who would be competing. A location was not revealed, either, but Las Vegas and southern California have emerged as logical locales.

Another crucial element to the partnership with Golden Boy and Affliction is the fact that De La Hoya’s lucrative company has a solid business relationship with cable giant HBO, as the vast majority of its fight cards land on that station. Atencio was excited about the potential for his brand of MMA to appear on the world’s leading movie network but was hesitant to speak out of turn or make erroneous declarations.

“Hopefully,” he said with a broad grin. “That’s up to Golden Boy once again. They are the ones who have the relationship with HBO, and if they can bring it to the table, then absolutely.”

Landing events on a network that has brought fight fans some of the greatest boxing matches in history would be significant. But why did Atencio and his team decide on Golden Boy and not another of the world’s powerful boxing promoters? Golden Boy is smart, young and has shown an ability to capture the attention of boxing fans.

“They’re very creative, and they’re always looking at new ideas. And so are we,” said Atencio, who estimates the deal took eight months to be finalized. “Looking at both of our companies, it just made sense for us to come together.”

Atencio also revealed his plans to continue promoting separate all-MMA shows under the Affliction flag and reinforced his promotion’s partnership with M-1 Global. He was not sure when the next all-MMA show would be promoted, but the eager entrepreneur hopes to have a few shows sandwiched in between the major pay-per-view events with Golden Boy.

Another key aspect of the partnership between Affliction and Golden Boy will have the apparel company create event-specific T-shirts for Golden Boy’s major PPV shows, beginning with the mammoth showdown between De La Hoya and Filipino whirlwind Manny Pacquiao in December. Affliction is also going to create a plethora of boxing-related shirts sporting vintage “The Ring Magazine” covers featuring the likes of Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey and others, which will be available in the 20,000-plus retail outlets where Affliction clothing is sold.
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Jonobos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2008, 11:03:28 AM »
I think a little competition will be good for the MMA world, and I really like the idea that we might see events on HBO.

I don't know about mixing MMA with boxing. I think there are a lot of people that will tune out for the boxing part, or the mma part.

It will be interesting to see where this goes.
When life gives you lemons make lemonade
When life gives you hemlock, do NOT make hemlockade!

tankerdriver

« Reply #172 on: September 23, 2008, 03:24:01 AM »
extra extra read all bout it! Anderson Silva is thinking about retiring soon. One for the road, Chuck Liddell vs. Anderson Silva, I think there would be a lot of interest in this fight. Someone will go out with a bang for sure!

tankerdriver

« Reply #173 on: September 23, 2008, 03:26:44 AM »
For those interested and for those who don't know, check out mmalinker.com They have all the fights for free. The latest UFC...uh yep. Fedor vs. Tim...uh yep. Even on the night of the fights...uh yep!

Ronin

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 23, 2008, 04:15:06 AM »
extra extra read all bout it! Anderson Silva is thinking about retiring soon. One for the road, Chuck Liddell vs. Anderson Silva, I think there would be a lot of interest in this fight. Someone will go out with a bang for sure!

With Chuck "losing a step" and Anderson on the top of his game, it won't be much of a match, but you never know...

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2008, 08:07:54 AM »
What is Silva's normal fighting weight?

tankerdriver

« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2008, 08:23:51 AM »
185lbs.

tankerdriver

« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2008, 08:58:38 AM »
He stepped up to light heavy to fight James Irvin. Knocked him out within seconds of the first round, and then said " yep I'm a badass" and went back to middleweight!

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2008, 09:34:38 AM »
Silva won't retire in a year, mark my words he will be in the game for at least another three years.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

tankerdriver

« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2008, 10:19:46 AM »
Silva lost before! Besides he's just starting to cross over into the mainstream really, why would he want to retire. Stay on top for awhile, where else is he going to go. Maybe he's going to the WWE.

Matt Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2008, 01:30:36 PM »
Here is my new Wrestling Coach, John 'The Hitman' Hathaway at Cage Rage 28 last weekend. I say the futures bright for this 21 year old. He broke his opponents eye socket.

http://www.myvideofight.com/video/other-rings/cage-rage-28-john-hathaway-vs.-jack-mason/index-2.html

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2008, 01:33:51 PM »
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

tankerdriver

« Reply #182 on: September 27, 2008, 08:00:42 AM »

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 27, 2008, 07:11:24 PM »
I don't mean to speculate or start rumors but I suspect some vitamins have come into Gina's workout regimen in the past few years.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

tankerdriver

« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2008, 12:11:48 PM »
This Saturday Ken Shamrock fights Kimbo Slice. I hope Ken wins but I doubt it.

Ronin

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2008, 12:19:05 PM »
I don't mean to speculate or start rumors but I suspect some vitamins have come into Gina's workout regimen in the past few years.

performance enhancers and sport ???
NOOOOO !!!!
 :-D

Ronin

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2008, 12:19:33 PM »
This Saturday Ken Shamrock fights Kimbo Slice. I hope Ken wins but I doubt it.

Speaking of performance enhancers....;)

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2008, 12:26:58 PM »
Shamrock by leg lock! LOL =)I just haven't seen an impressive Ken in any of his last fights.  I think this is going to be a replay of Kimbo/Tank.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Ronin

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2008, 12:29:14 PM »
I hear ken has been working on an ancient chinese grappling move from Combat Shuai Chiao, its called " the flying cock traps its prey".
I think in BJJ its called a "flying triangle".
 :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2008, 02:48:12 PM »
Heck, I can't think of an impressive KS in ANY of his fights :lol: 

I thought he was a real jerk to his fighters on TUF and will smile if Kimbo takes him.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 02, 2008, 03:15:49 PM »
I think this will be shorter than Tank vs Kimbo.
Remember the way Tito manhandled Ken by picking Ken up, figuratively pushing him across the octagon into the fence with ease? Kimbo looks much bigger and stronger than Tito to me.

"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

tankerdriver

« Reply #191 on: October 02, 2008, 06:12:48 PM »
http://sherdog.com/videos/recent/The-Fight-of-His-Life-1787

Here's something from Sherdog on Ken Shamrock. He sounds sincere? :-D

tankerdriver

« Reply #192 on: October 03, 2008, 09:11:40 PM »
Kimbo weighed in at 235 and Shamrock weighed in at 207. Dude Kimbo is going to kill him!

http://sherdog.com/pictures/event/scuffles-skin-turn-up-heat-14642

What about Gina Carano, she can barely make weight. She has this problem everytime. I think she's trying to pyche out her opponent. Acting all weak then pow,bink,bam!!!!! But dang look at Gina's face man. Perfect structure. man...uh...oh man...I gotta go!

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 03, 2008, 09:51:35 PM »
Yeah Gina's hot.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

tankerdriver

« Reply #194 on: October 04, 2008, 09:56:24 AM »
Whatever happened to the Lion's Den. They were on top, now you hardly hear anything about them. Does it even put out fighters. Ken Shamrock is the only one I know of thats still fights. I was looking at pictures of his training camp, he doesn't have any of his boys there, Tre, Bohlander, Guy. Only person there I recognize is Vernon White. Everyone left?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 04, 2008, 06:44:48 PM »
The steroids wear off and time marches on , , ,

tankerdriver

« Reply #196 on: October 04, 2008, 11:53:56 PM »
Ha, ha!

Man this Cyborg chick has a hard-on for Gina Carano. I am feeling jealous. She speaks english like a caveman. I want Gina Carano. Give me Gina Carano.

So much for the Kimbo, Shamrock fight.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 05, 2008, 08:40:16 AM »
Second fight in a row that Arlovski won with a Panantukan upper cut!:

Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 05, 2008, 08:43:28 AM »
Here is the first one:

Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 05, 2008, 11:00:39 AM »
Love the jumping knee.