Author Topic: MMA Thread  (Read 567084 times)

foxmarten

• View Profile
Re: MMA Thread
« Reply #300 on: April 18, 2009, 10:08:22 PM »
I think I've only ever seen one draw in the UFC . . .

The Matt Hughes - Carlos Newton fight should have been a draw by dko.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-HST

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 19, 2009, 07:54:57 AM »
So, what happened last night?

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 19, 2009, 08:28:10 AM »
Liddel got stopped TKO, Silva won unanimous decisions.

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 19, 2009, 09:18:20 AM »

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 19, 2009, 09:20:51 AM »

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 19, 2009, 09:27:34 AM »
I thought Chuck Liddell was doing pretty good. Man you can tell when Liddell gets hit on the button his body fell the same way to Rampage, Evans, and Hoowa.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 19, 2009, 10:00:57 AM »
Awesome Jeet Teks from Anderson along with just about every FMA destruction in the book other than split entries!
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 19, 2009, 04:45:42 PM »
Awesome Jeet Teks from Anderson along with just about every FMA destruction in the book other than split entries!

i am NO jkd guy, but i think that looked more along the lines of savate- coup de bas(sp?)- in my humble opinion. i say this because i've seen video of the place a. silva use to train in brazil(black house) and they have savateurs there. also i think a jeet tek is more along the lines of raising your foot when someone comes forward rather than actually attacking the knee/lower quad with that kick. he's also a TKD blackbelt so it may just be a low side kick.

anyways, although i think if he wanted he couldve taken leites out anytime he realy wanted, he did many cool and effective techniques in that fight. there was even a kali tudo-esque elbow and punch to leites's foot when leites was on his back with his feet in the air. then there was that weird cross-step foot stomp he did, not to mention the thigh punching while standing.

Francisco

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 19, 2009, 05:07:11 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DghW3qL80Ig[/youtube]

His Bruce Lee impression.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 19, 2009, 06:07:37 PM »
Your guro is still to clueless to figure out the URL for that , , ,

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 19, 2009, 07:47:51 PM »
Your guro is still to clueless to figure out the URL for that , , ,

Woof Guro Crafty,

At the very end the URL appears just to the right of the "Replay" button. Then its a matter of cut and paste.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
« Reply #311 on: April 20, 2009, 08:00:09 AM »
woof all:

i got these off of http://www.spladdle.com which probably got them from elsewhere... i uploaded the pix to my pichost as to save the bandwidth of the pichosts used

my thanks to the animated gif makers!

~sg

edit: 

this one i found off of mma core.... props to the gif makers there!  daniel duby's form looks superwicked when he does this kick
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:10:30 AM by Stickgrappler »
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 20, 2009, 09:31:30 AM »
Silva's a badass!

MMA fans are idiots, for booing this man!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 20, 2009, 10:01:03 AM »
Chad:  Thanks.

SG:  Thanks.

Amazing footage!

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 20, 2009, 10:05:18 AM »
Silva's a badass!

MMA fans are idiots, for booing this man!

it is possible the fans were booing leites' buttflopping instead
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 20, 2009, 02:02:13 PM »
it is possible the fans were booing leites' buttflopping instead

Possibly, but even Dana White had something negative to say. 

Hopefully a friend recorded the fight on their DVR.

‘Spider’ Bites

For the second time in as many appearances, middleweight champion Anderson Silva finds himself under heavy scrutiny from fans and the media. Not even White, one of his most ardent supporters, could look past his performance in a lackluster five-round decision win against Thales Leites at UFC 97.

“I wasn’t thrilled with it,” said White, who later hinted at challenging the champion with a return to the 205-pound division. “I did not like the fight at all -- on either side.”

Silva moved into the record books as he passed UFC hall of famer Royce Gracie and welterweight contender Jon Fitch for most consecutive victories inside the Octagon with his ninth. The 34-year-old Brazilian has won 10 straight bouts overall. Still, he wound up on the defensive after his triumph over Leites.

Photo by Sherdog.com

Fans chanted for GSP at UFC 97.
“I go out there and train to try and be efficient and have a perfect fight,” Silva said. “Not every fight is going to be a knockout. Not every fight is going to be a spectacular finish. What I trained to do, I felt like I executed in there. He wasn’t able to execute his game, and I was able to do mine. I walked away with the victory and the belt still.”

Silva was visibly flustered by the negative reaction he received but remained diplomatic in the face of criticism.

“I’m comfortable with people’s opinions,” he said. “People have a right to their own opinions. I was unable to finish. Sometimes, I’m able to finish guys; sometimes, I’m not able to. I proved to everybody I can go five rounds and I’m in good shape.”

White addressed a potential showdown between Silva and current welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre, who will defend his belt against Brazilian bomber Thiago Alves at UFC 100 on July 11 in Las Vegas. Chants of “GSP! GSP!” rang out during the Silva-Leites match.

“Everybody’s chanting GSP,” White said. “GSP has probably the toughest fight of his career coming up. Do not overlook Thiago Alves. That’s going to be a very hard fight for him. Georges St. Pierre can’t start looking at Anderson Silva until he gets past Thiago Alves.”
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

foxmarten

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 20, 2009, 09:00:49 PM »
[Silva was visibly flustered by the negative reaction he received but remained diplomatic in the face of criticism.

“I’m comfortable with people’s opinions,” he said. “People have a right to their own opinions. I was unable to finish. Sometimes, I’m able to finish guys; sometimes, I’m not able to. I proved to everybody I can go five rounds and I’m in good shape.”

I'm not sure that he even tried to finish, but it has always been the burden of the challenger to "take the belt decisively".  I thought that the Silva's side kicks to the knee were interesting in that they weren't the range rinding kicks of bjj like royce used effectively in the early UFCs, but more like a straightforward attempt to disrupt his opponents ACL.  I wonder if attacks like this which are designed to inflict serious permanent injury are going to make a comeback in the UFC.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 09:52:02 PM by foxmarten »
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-HST

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 20, 2009, 09:09:41 PM »
Another Grease Gate?

http://sherdog.com/news/articles/silva-manager-calls-greasing-talk-ridiculous-17099

All the drama of boxing coming to MMA!?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 21, 2009, 12:11:24 AM »
" I thought that the Silva's side kicks to the knee were interesting in that they weren't the range rinding kicks of bjj like royce used effectively in the early UFCs, but more like a straightforward attempt to disrupt his opponents ACL.  I wonder if attacks like this which are designed to inflict serious permanent injury are going to make a comeback in the UFC."

I'd call them chasse's more than I would side kicks, but still the question is an interesting one.

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 29, 2009, 06:47:50 AM »
Looks like Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin is on for Aug. 8 UFC. Should be a doozie! :-P

matinik

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 29, 2009, 09:38:37 PM »
anderson silva always puts on a terrific show, so i suppose that's why most
people are upset about his supposed "lackluster" showing with thiago. BTW,
silva's buddy, lyto (sp?) machida is doing pretty dang good. nice to see a different
template (shotokan) used effectively in MMA, although machida's style got
a lot of flack early on, with audiences not used to seeing a more "traditional"
flavor from a fighter. his fight with rashad evans should be a good match up.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 11, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on Kyle Maynard fighting?  One side of me says, "if he wants to do it."  While the other side of me says that it's wrong on many levels.

http://blog.ticketbiscuit.com/2009/04/28/kyle-maynard-mma-debut-fight-videos/
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 12, 2009, 08:20:59 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on Kyle Maynard fighting?  One side of me says, "if he wants to do it."  While the other side of me says that it's wrong on many levels.

http://blog.ticketbiscuit.com/2009/04/28/kyle-maynard-mma-debut-fight-videos/

woof Ryan,

i know what you mean, and i am of the same mind. but Kyle Maynard has shown he can handle himself... he can do takedowns and chokes. a true testament to the indomitable human will.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
superman punch in MMA
« Reply #323 on: May 12, 2009, 08:22:31 AM »
woof all:

just curious, does anyone recall the first instance of the superman punch in MMA? here's an early instance from 2006.

BIB - Beatdown in Bakersfield - Savant Young X Danny Suarez - 2006-11-17

the animated pix were made by me off of a youtube flv... quality is not that good as you can see, but source was from the below youtube:

2 recent instances of the superman punch. not my pix, my thanks to the unknown gif maker(s) on them:

UFC 92 - Forrest Griffin X Rashad Evans

UFC 94 - GSP X BJ Penn

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 12, 2009, 09:30:52 AM »
I remember seeing it as early as '96 in a Ohio "NHB" show by a guy with full Thai wear on; shorts, arm bands, etc.  :-D  Also, interestingly enough Ajarn Chai calls it "Mat Gatun" which means "pushing fist."
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

rio

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 12, 2009, 09:31:19 AM »
you might want to research Todd and Trevor Laly from Arizona Combat Sports. I remember them using the "superman" back in the late 90's early 2k's. some people think they were the innovators that punch, bringing it over to MMA with all their Muay Thai background.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 12, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
woof Ryan and rio:

thank you for the info!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 12, 2009, 07:24:47 PM »
Ron Balicki shared that with me back around '96-97.  It wouldn't surprise me if he got it from Erik Paulsen.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 12, 2009, 09:39:39 PM »
Ron Balicki shared that with me back around '96-97.  It wouldn't surprise me if he got it from Erik Paulsen.

Guro,

"that" being the superman punch?
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 12, 2009, 09:52:54 PM »
woof Guro Crafty et al:

as Ryan is guessing, i'm guessing the same... thank you for the info!

-----------------------------------------------

some more animated GIF's:

BFC (Bellator Fighting Championship) 6 - Yahir Reyes X Estevan Payan - 5/8/2009 - Reyes with a spinning backfist KO of Payan.

speaking of Bellator, if the above is in the lead of KO of the year, check out what should be in the running for submission of the year below:

BFC (Bellator Fighting Championships) 5 - Toby Imada X Jorge Masvidal - 5/1/2009. Imada with an Inverted Triangle Choke.

speaking of spinning backfist KO's... i don't know the venue/fight nor the fighters, but 'blue' goes for a left hook, 'red' counters with a spinning backfist for the KO.

NOTE:  my thanks to the unknown GIF maker(s) of the above 5 pix.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 14, 2009, 09:19:15 AM »
BTW, [anderson] silva's buddy, lyto (sp?) machida is doing pretty dang good. nice to see a different
template (shotokan) used effectively in MMA, although machida's style got
a lot of flack early on, with audiences not used to seeing a more "traditional"
flavor from a fighter. his fight with rashad evans should be a good match up.

NOTE:  this post contains gif's that i didn't make. i dl'd off of Spladdle blog and uploaded to my pichost to save on bandwith. my thanks to the unknown gif maker(s).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's take a look at Lyoto 'The Dragon' Machida. Some takedowns:

UFC 76 - Lyoto vs Nakamura

2 takedowns in this gif

1st one is probably in other MA, but when i first saw it, my knee-jerk reaction was that it's a silat takedown called Kengit Siko

2nd takedown is off of a rear strike and rear leg trips/sweeps

WFA - Lyoto vs Vernon White

rear strike, steps through with what was the rear leg, it's lead leg now and trips/sweeps

UFC 79 - Lyoto vs Sokoudjou

rear strike, steps through with what was the rear leg, it's lead leg now and trips/sweeps

UFC 67 - Lyoto vs Sam Hoger

takedown look familiar? :-)

UFC 84 - Lyoto vs Tito Ortiz

what's this suplex called? if it can be called a suplex.

K1 Heroes 1 - Lyoto vx BJ Penn

how would you describe this takedown? push head with arm action and leg sweep/trip?

EDIT:  missed these 2...my thanks to unknown gif maker(s)

UFC 94 - Lyoto vs Thiago Silva

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:58:01 PM by Stickgrappler »

matinik

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 14, 2009, 09:38:29 PM »
nice posts, stickgrappler! enjoyed the clips! i agree with you about some of the sweeps
having that silat/kali flava! lyoto's setup of the "sapus" are very interesting. all the more
interesting is the fact that he does it on the fly! :mrgreen: and get this: rashad, from an interview
i saw is familiar (to what extent, i'm not sure) with 52 blocks (AKA jailhouse rock), a style that
has some very nice kali/silat flava, specially with the 'bows and such.
Machida vs. Evans: Interesting Indeed!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:46:02 PM by matinik »

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 15, 2009, 02:21:13 AM »
you might want to research Todd and Trevor Laly from Arizona Combat Sports. I remember them using the "superman" back in the late 90's early 2k's. some people think they were the innovators that punch, bringing it over to MMA with all their Muay Thai background.

They're originally out of AMC.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 15, 2009, 06:19:10 AM »
woof matinik:

nice posts, stickgrappler! enjoyed the clips!

tail wags for the kind words. i had fun making them. looking to make more  :-)

i agree with you about some of the sweeps
having that silat/kali flava! lyoto's setup of the "sapus" are very interesting. all the more
interesting is the fact that he does it on the fly! :mrgreen: and get this: rashad, from an interview
i saw is familiar (to what extent, i'm not sure) with 52 blocks (AKA jailhouse rock), a style that
has some very nice kali/silat flava, specially with the 'bows and such.
Machida vs. Evans: Interesting Indeed!

ronin informed me that what looked like sapus to me is in shotokan.  i don't doubt that the techniques that we see in one style/system will exist in another system. after all, we all have 2 arms and 2 legs and limited range of motion. although one of my training partners has his black belt in shotokan, he didn't see the clips yet nor do we go over shotokan when we do train.

a long time ago i watched a youtube clip. a friend, Daniel Marks, interviewed Rashad Evans about 52. that may be the same one you saw. i will have to watch it again and to check to see anything new uploaded to youtube.

woof peregrine:

They're originally out of AMC.

sorry what is AMC? thank you in advance!

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 15, 2009, 05:21:29 PM »
AMC = AMC Pankration in WA.
Matt Humes fight gym...
http://www.azcombatsports.com/welcome/instructors/
"Trevor was lucky enough to start his martial arts career of kickboxing at the now famous AMC under the expert tutelage of Huru Shuminishi trainer of eight world champions"

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 15, 2009, 06:38:53 PM »
SG:

Would you please be so kind as to send me these various clips in as high a resolution as feasible please?  It would be greatly appreciated.

Craftydog@dogbrothers.com

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 15, 2009, 10:02:28 PM »
ronin informed me that what looked like sapus to me is in shotokan.  i don't doubt that the techniques that we see in one style/system will exist in another system. after all, we all have 2 arms and 2 legs and limited range of motion. although one of my training partners has his black belt in shotokan, he didn't see the clips yet nor do we go over shotokan when we do train.

Woof SG,

heres a good article on Lyoto: http://www.fightmagazine.com/mma-magazine/mma-article.asp?aid=265&issid=20

Here's a clip relevent to Shotokan:

“I’m still a counter-striker, but now I keep going forward. I stay aggressive. I wanted to show people more of my technique. I wanted to show them that I could knock a guy out.” Why? Because unlike what you might assume after having watched Machida dance away from trouble for most of his career, the key distinction between Shotokan and other forms of karate is not defensive technique— which is more or less consistent throughout every karate sub-discipline—but the art of the power strike. “One punch has to take the guy down,” he explains. “But you have to strike at the right time and at the right distance.”

And that’s when it truly begins to make sense. Machida hasn’t merely made a politically expedient decision to curry favor with the UFC brass and its fans. He’s fi ghting for his family’s honor; he’s taking it personally. “I’m trying to bring out the essence of karate as a martial art, not the sport of karate, not what you see in karate competition,” he tells me. “In pure karate, there’s knees and elbows and different types of strikes, and I’m trying to bring back that type of style.” In other words, Machida has decided to send a message to the uninitiated: If you think Shotokan fi ghters can’t knock a man out, you better watch yourself, because Lyoto Machida is about to violently demonstrate the error of your ways. And while he may have been untouchable during his UFC run thus far, he has only begun to realize his full potential.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 16, 2009, 09:23:05 AM »
woof Chad,

thank you for the info!

~sg

matinik

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 23, 2009, 09:57:40 PM »
Did lyoto machida usher in a new paradigm shift in MMA with his win over
Rashad Evans? His  effective use of shotokan (his family style) seemed to have opened up
some new and exciting possibilities beyond the BJJ/Muay thai Template.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 10:15:44 PM by matinik »

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 23, 2009, 10:18:59 PM »
Guess we won't see anyone twisting their nipples in the Octagon today!? :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 24, 2009, 08:28:26 AM »
Does anyone have youtube URL of the fight?

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 24, 2009, 11:18:31 AM »
Youtube hardly ever has the fights. Try this site mmalinker.com

http://mmalinker.com/search/zero/MR/1/0/20/mr/15921/i/lyoto_the_dragon_machida_vs_rashad_evans.html

It will upload.

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 24, 2009, 11:21:33 AM »
Rashad Evans lost me when he tweaked his nips and danced that jig. Lyoto on the other hand is humble and shows the other fighter respect when he smashes their face in?! :?

Karsk

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 24, 2009, 10:47:09 PM »
Pretty interesting fight.  Lyoto fought from a front stance at the outside edge of the distance.  I looked over all of the fights that I could find of him when I first heard of him on youtube because he has a shotokan background and that is my main emphasis.  His speed and timing is phenomenal.  I watched the brief about how he trains movement and accuracy on Spike a few days ago.  Also pretty interesting.  His Dad (his teacher) really emphasized evasiveness I think.  If you watch the videos carefully you can see that he uses a changing lead attack (front punch kind of thing).   He varies the timing between when he steps and when his hand comes out situationally but he is still changing leads and using that forward motion to attack.  Thats also the base of those sweeps methinks.

Cheers,

Karsk

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 25, 2009, 01:20:53 PM »
Well looks like Jose Conseco is fighting is the next Dream event in Japan against Hong Man Choi, the seven foot something giant from Korea...it's sad! :?

http://sherdog.com/pictures/event/pictures-dream-pre-fight-presser-17619

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 26, 2009, 08:01:50 AM »

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 26, 2009, 09:33:44 AM »
Enjoy!

HUGHES X SERRA

My thanks to the GIF makers at FightReport.com. Round 1. Click the pic for a bigger picture.

My thanks to the unknown GIF maker. Round 3. Click the pic for a bigger picture. Click the animated GIF for a bigger picture.

EVANS X MACHIDA

My thanks to the GIF makers at mma-core.com for the next 4 pictures. Click the pix  for a bigger picture

Machida's knockout of Evans

Earlier in the fight

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 26, 2009, 01:38:48 PM »
2 joke animated gif's i've found off of the net. The first one was made before the fight this past Saturday. The second was made after the fight. My thanks to the unknown gif maker(s).

click the thumbnails for bigger pictures.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 26, 2009, 10:12:19 PM »
OK, i made this animated gif.... it's Lyoto's "boxing blast"

SIZE!

way past my bedtime... gn all.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 27, 2009, 01:25:47 AM »
Which looks pretty much exactly like the straight blast as taught by Guro Inosanto and then popularlized by Paul Vunak in the early to mid 80s if not sooner.