Author Topic: MMA Thread  (Read 567059 times)

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: MMA Thread
« Reply #500 on: March 31, 2010, 11:17:33 PM »
I just saw the fight this morning and as a person whose had knee surgery I was pretty disgusted by it. That is easily a career ending submission and could significantly inhibit the fighter's quality of life, ability to generate an income, etc. He tapped, and considering that Palhares is extremely experienced, he should have let go. He knew exactly what he was doing, and his excuse is pretty lame.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
« Reply #501 on: April 09, 2010, 09:05:26 AM »
Main Event: UFC Middleweight & Lightweight Championship Bouts
Anderson Silva (15-4) vs Demian Maia (12-1)
BJ Penn (15-5-1) vs Frankie Edgar (11-1)

Main Card
Matt Hughes (44-7) vs Renzo Gracie
Kendall Grove (13-6) vs Mark Munoz (7-1)
Rafael dos Anjos (13-4) vs Terry Etim (14-3)

Undercard
Phil Davis (5-0) vs Alexander Gustafsson (9-0)
John Gunderson (22-7) vs Paul Taylor (10-5-1-1)
Nick Osipczak (5-1) vs Rick Story (9-3)
Paul Kelly (10-2) vs Matt Veach (11-1)
Demarques Johnson (15-7) vs Brad Blackburn (15-10-1-1)
Mostapha Al Turk (6-5) vs. Jon Madsen (4-0)

as much as i like both Renzo and Matt Hughes, think Hughes wins, and don't think it will be close with Silva and Maia and same with BJ Penn's fight.
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

drammel

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 09, 2010, 11:43:13 AM »
Phil Davis, didn't Gruhn train him or with him?

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 09, 2010, 12:39:38 PM »
@SG:

I got my picks in for this event- be on the lookout for TEOTWAWKI!

-Chad

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 09, 2010, 06:53:46 PM »
I'm rooting for Renzo.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 09, 2010, 09:13:27 PM »
@SG:

-Chad

woof Chad:

loooong time!

ufc fantasy site sux dog poopoo... i cannot see others' votes. i just logged in and cannot even see my own votes under view league votes, but if i went to review vote i can see my picks... it seems like the past events were like that. i don't know if others in our league voted or not on the past ufc's... i missed a few, mostly minor events, but major events i've been voting. i may have missed one.

maybe it's my browser? or maybe that site sux cos it's hard to view league votes for some reason.

~sg
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 10, 2010, 02:35:45 PM »
@SG:

-Chad

woof Chad:

loooong time!

ufc fantasy site sux dog poopoo... i cannot see others' votes. i just logged in and cannot even see my own votes under view league votes, but if i went to review vote i can see my picks... it seems like the past events were like that. i don't know if others in our league voted or not on the past ufc's... i missed a few, mostly minor events, but major events i've been voting. i may have missed one.

maybe it's my browser? or maybe that site sux cos it's hard to view league votes for some reason.

~sg

Yes I would not say it is user-friendly. try this:

1. Login
2. On the lefthand vertical menu select "My League"
3. On the Horizontal menu that appears, select "View League Votes"
4. Directly below the menu will be two drop down menus one for your league "ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN" and the event.
The current default for events is "UFC 112: INVINCIBLE" Use the Event drop-down to select the one you want.
5. Click the square "Go" button
6. Each league member that voted will have a red "+" in front of their name, click that plus sign and their picks will appear.
You can also see your own picks this way.

Hopefully that works we had IE6 here at work until recently and it worked fine...

It's just you and me now we need to do good through UFC 115 to win prizes - but we can draft more players before UFC 113
so anyone reading this thats wants to play hit me up.

Jonobos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 10, 2010, 11:58:43 PM »
Phil Davis, didn't Gruhn train him or with him?

Yes, Phil Davis trained with us State College Pa boys at the start of his career. We are all very excited for him!
When life gives you lemons make lemonade
When life gives you hemlock, do NOT make hemlockade!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 11, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
Some rather disappointing fights last night IMHO.

Neither Hughes nor Renzo seemed to have much fire left in them.  Two great warriors in their time , , , which is now gone. 

Odd performance by Spider.  The talent is off the charts, so what was it the last half of the fight when he just danced around?

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 11, 2010, 08:38:30 AM »
UFC needs to focus on more quality and less quantity. It seems they have an event every weekend now! It's overwhelming just trying to keep up. Vera vs. Jones, Mir vs. Carwin, whats his face vs. Gomi, Penn vs. Frankenstein, blah!

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: April 11, 2010, 12:32:04 PM »
woof Chad,

i did that, but still cannot see votes. ugh... site sux.

--------

Guro,

i didn't have the sound on loud, didn't want to disturb wife and kids, but thought i heard it was a hot humid night in open air stadium or something? bj penn looked tired and as did silva after rd 3. very disappointing fights.

agreed on hughes x gracie, hughes didn't even setup his kicks with punches, just threw them and kept landing them. i think gracie was too 'task fixated' (forgive the slightly out of context usage) on getting a KO via his boxing punches which seem to have some success in landing.

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 12, 2010, 12:14:54 PM »
woof Chad,

i did that, but still cannot see votes. ugh... site sux.

perhaps we can try faux betting again? if youre interested I'll start a new thread when 113 draws closer.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 12, 2010, 12:48:59 PM »
Chad,

sure, can you see my votes? i've not selected the option of 'hide votes from league'.

-------------------------

don't want to kill the orig pichost's bandwidth by showing it on the thread. props to the original gif maker from mma.tv

please click on link to check out an animated gif of fedor x anderson silva

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/shomanart/mm5pus.gif

enjoy!

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 12, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »
I see your votes fine. I dunno why you cant. Make sure to follow my directions to the letter.

nice score btw.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 12, 2010, 06:43:35 PM »
woof Chad,

very strange, now i see your votes. but i don't see it for previous events.

thx on score, but it wasn't so good. the previous one with ufn 21-florian x gomi, i scored 200+, that was way better, close if not surpassing my first time trying ufc fantasy out... beginner's luck strikes again finally lol

~sg

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 14, 2010, 09:40:43 AM »
had a chance to upload to my own pichost

here's another one... this one is anderson x maia

props to the original gif makers.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:39:10 AM by Stickgrappler »

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 08:48:26 AM by Guide Dog »
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 19, 2010, 04:23:15 PM »
Funnily enough .... a friend just shared this with me - http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/4/19/1430844/waaa-hhhhh-the-decline-of-balls-in
It will seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.
Miyamoto Musashi.

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 24, 2010, 01:29:25 PM »
woof Chad,

very strange, now i see your votes. but i don't see it for previous events.

thx on score, but it wasn't so good. the previous one with ufn 21-florian x gomi, i scored 200+, that was way better, close if not surpassing my first time trying ufc fantasy out... beginner's luck strikes again finally lol

~sg

Went to check today and both of our votes are missing for UFC 112!

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 26, 2010, 09:25:44 AM »
ugh.... UFC.com programmers please fix the site!

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 26, 2010, 07:43:04 PM »

Rarick

« Reply #521 on: April 27, 2010, 01:16:09 AM »
Sticky- Chad  If you look at the homepage, you will see they pulled that one because of too many cheaters........ :-o

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 10, 2010, 09:57:28 AM »
Sticky- Chad  If you look at the homepage, you will see they pulled that one because of too many cheaters........ :-o

woof Rarick:

ah, i see that now. thx.

strange, i don't see Chad's votes for ufc 113. unless he didn't get a chance to get his votes in on time.

this ufc ran the gamut of outcomes... congrats to Shogun on KO victory! Alan Belcher with a slam to RNC. Daley with a cheap shot on Koscheck. Kimbo getting his leg chopped down by Mitrione. MacDonald with a broken leg!

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 10, 2010, 01:30:57 PM »
strange, i don't see Chad's votes for ufc 113. unless he didn't get a chance to get his votes in on time.

this ufc ran the gamut of outcomes... congrats to Shogun on KO victory! Alan Belcher with a slam to RNC. Daley with a cheap shot on Koscheck. Kimbo getting his leg chopped down by Mitrione. MacDonald with a broken leg!

Epic Fail on my part... I thought we were abandoning that site. UFC 113 was the best night of fights in recent memory I doubt either Evans or Jackson can beat Rua. I will go back to fantasy.ufc.com for the next one... sorry SG.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 12, 2010, 09:07:27 AM »

Epic Fail on my part... I thought we were abandoning that site. UFC 113 was the best night of fights in recent memory I doubt either Evans or Jackson can beat Rua. I will go back to fantasy.ufc.com for the next one... sorry SG.

woof Chad,

oic -- no worries... pls let me know what you want to do on the next one.

~sg

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: May 24, 2010, 03:36:24 AM »
Watching this week's TUF I had a moment of really not liking Dana White.  It came when the fighterwith the injured knee had to decide whether to continue a nd this risk catastrophic injury to his knee or withdraw. DW asked the fighter if he was "quitting" and in that moment I had a visceral sense of him being the current incarnation of a scumbag boxing promoter.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 26, 2010, 08:50:02 AM »
What is the UFC rule concerning stomps to the knee?

I clearly saw one buckle at fighter on TUF last week with nary a comment from anyone.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 31, 2010, 05:27:03 AM »
UFC prices, the unevenness of fight cards, and my budget are such that I don't pay for watching all by myself.  Fortunately I have a neighbor who always watches and with 3-4 friends to share the cost, the price comes down for each of us quite a bit.  Unfortunately my neighbor's 50th birthday party was on Saturday and he went to Vegas to watch the fight.

Bottom line: I didn't see the fights on Saturday night.  Would someone be so kind as to give me the run down?  I am interested to hear descriptions of Rashad vs. Rampage, not because of the soap opera of it (as good fun as that has been) but for a description of Evans striking game.  I have a reason for asking, but will leave it out for now so as to not lead any responses.

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 31, 2010, 09:12:58 AM »
Rashad really utilized good footwork to lunge into range, land strikes, and then jump out. Other times he used his strikes to close distance and push Rampage against the cage. His striking looked good against Rampage, but I think Lyoto would've knocked him out again if they were fighting last night (though there's different strokes for different folks).

One thing Rashad does is let his hands way down (although being loose is a good thing) and sway about in what almost looks like a small Capoeira step.

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 26, 2010, 10:44:53 PM »
Well Fedor gets triangled by Werdum, does that make Werdum the new #1 heavyweight in the world. I can hear Dana White now. Werdum was cut from the UFC and he just tapped out the so called #1 heavyweight in the world. Lots of fuel for that fire. :?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 27, 2010, 12:41:30 AM »
I am in the mountains of Slovenia right now so I did not get to see this.

What were the other fights and how did they go?

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 27, 2010, 02:18:42 AM »
Slovenia? Enjoy!

Well Cung Le avenged his KO loss to Scott Smith with a KO of his own. Cung Le landed two spinning back kicks the second of which hurt Scott Smith, Cung Le followed up for the KO.

Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos beat Jan Finney to a pulp to retain her womens title belt, and the rest of the card was forgettable.

Took only 69 seconds for Werdum to submit Fedor! :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 27, 2010, 03:39:24 PM »
Thanks for the report.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 29, 2010, 06:58:19 AM »
Well, on general principles I think it a good thing that the UFC have competition.

As for Lesnar vs. Carwin, this is one to which I am really looking forward.  I root for Carwin, to me Lesnar seems a bully.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 29, 2010, 10:41:38 AM »
Woof all:

I really am looking forward to this fight. In the UFC Fantasy League, I generally would vote for Brock Lesnar with the attitude of "he's so big, strong AND fast for his size, he would be tough to beat". But I am slowly but surely becoming a Shane Carwin fan. He showed me something when he took on Frank Mir.

I think if Carwin is able to keep it standing up, he has legit KO power and will test Lesnar's jaw. Push Lesnar to the cage and like he did with Mir, do it to Brock. Lesnar needs to take Shane down and do his G&P like he did to Mir.

My friend put it roughly this way, Shane has 5 5-min rounds to KO Brock. Even if Brock gets Shane on the ground, he probably won't get a sub and ref will stand them back up again.

~sg

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 30, 2010, 09:18:58 AM »
Just putting this out there. Does anyone think that last Fedor fight was a work? :?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 30, 2010, 10:24:08 AM »
What is the business logic of that theory?

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 30, 2010, 12:18:19 PM »
''Just putting this out there. Does anyone think that last Fedor fight was a work?''

do you seem to think it was?

i really think he just made a mistake. if you watch all his other fight, especially with antonio rodrigo nogueira, he had this uncanny ablity to just ''shuck'' nogueira's legs, pass, then smash him. he's dominated so thoroughly in all his fights i'm sure his learning curve stopped, b/c it didn't need to grow. i'm not saying he'd win a rematch w/ werdum, but i'd bet he wouldn't make that mistake again.

guys like dana white, and all these others saying he 's not/ was nver that good are just buying into the ufc machine(of which,obviously, i'm a huge fan).

Francisco

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 03, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
How bout that Lesnar submission tonight.

Lesnar showed a lot of heart tonight, took a beating in that first round, but came back.

Purple belt in jiu jitsu paid off! He's big, he's tough as nails, he can obviously hit hard, showed he can learn and use technique in the heat of battle= Hard to beat!

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 03, 2010, 10:02:07 PM »
Hats off to the referee, if Steve Mazagotti was in that fight, Shane Carwin would be the new heavyweight champion! :-D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 10:05:01 PM by Sebresos »

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: July 03, 2010, 10:16:01 PM »
Much respect for both Shane and Brock!

If only Shane paced himself IMO... he exploded on Brock and held nothing back. He was noticeably tired. Brock's corner mentioned it too.

Rooted for Shane to KO Brock, but IMO, Shane should've held back some, get better positioning and conserve energy and pick his spots when he had clear shot when he was on top.

Hope there's immediate rematch like BJ Penn x Frankie Edgar 2 and Lyoto x Shogun 2.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 10:23:12 PM by Stickgrappler »

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 03, 2010, 10:44:35 PM »
IMO if any other referee was in that fight, Carwin would have had the TKO. Brock was clearly getting whooped in that first round. Shane Carwin is going to be that guy who always reverts back to what he does best, put down that beat down. Brock clearly showed he needs to improve his stand up game, but he also showed he's learning technique. He showed patience on the ground, sensitivity pulling full mount and he showed that he was a few steps ahead of Carwin in the mental chess game, while working for the submission.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 04, 2010, 12:05:22 AM »
3 gif's I made. If they don't show up, please let me know. First 2 shows Shane in action. Last one is Shane just before round 2 looking at Brock.

3am... way past my bedtime. GN all.

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 09, 2010, 05:44:10 AM »
So, did he tap or not?

:-D

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:15:56 PM by Stickgrappler »

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 23, 2010, 12:23:16 PM »
found an interesting odds site: http://www.ufcdogbet.com/

cool name, too.

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 28, 2010, 09:56:24 PM »
Frankie Edgar has BJ Penn's number! :cry:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 28, 2010, 10:26:58 PM »
I had hopes for Toney doing better than that for a little while , , , until I saw how fat he was after 9 months of training. :-P

Before Toney vs. Couture, someone in our group asked who would win.  "Dana White" came the answer.  A perfect fight for Dana:  Couture remains a money maker without risking his icon status.

Absolutely no fight plan that I could detect on the part of Team Penn "Do the same thing as last time when you lost." 
:-P   Edgar is an unusually mobile and unusually fit fighter.  Net result?  He got to choose virtually all moments of initiation of contact.   Advice to BJ between rounds was next to useless, except for "When the two of you are on the fence, put his back to the fence" or something like that.

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 29, 2010, 11:27:04 AM »
  Advice to BJ between rounds was next to useless, except for "When the two of you are on the fence, put his back to the fence" or something like that.

all bj's corner was telling him was that edagr is pu$$y, c@cksucker,etc. they did nothing but call him names. not one bit of sound cornering. in edgar's corner you could hear them giving him very good, but simple instructions: feints are working, stay unpredictable, etc,etc.

not so sure bj would've won, but the fight could've much different for bj if his corner would've had a bit more urgency(esp after the 2nd rounnd) and A LOT better technical advice between rounds.

i was rooting for toney, but knew it was, at best, wishful thinking. i knew couture and his lame forearm tattoo would be too much for james.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 29, 2010, 11:08:34 PM »
Only caught 3 fights.

Joe Lauzon was impressive. Unrelenting.

WOOHOO for Randy, called everything for the UFC Fantasy except the minute. Randy got a RNC on Mark Coleman, thought Toney being a noob at grappling, would give up his back and Randy gets the RNC. Randy mentioned to Joe Rogan that he worked on the arm triangle choke for a year, nice!

Man, did BJ cut weight again? Is Edgar THAT good? Is Edgar in BJ's head? Lackluster performance by BJ. Dude, if your hands ain't knocking him out, take him down and sub his @$$. Edgar's a purple and you a world-class BJJ'er. It's like his fight with Kenny Florian... box a few rounds, finally, take Kenny down and sub him. Should've did that vs. Edgar in both fight. Perhaps the cutting weight was a huge factor in the first fight, I don't know if it was for this fight.

p.s. Sorry Chad, I had partial picks in 2 wks ago, then thought I would finalize my picks before Friday. Of course, got busy and didn't remember. Measly 82 pts.