Author Topic: Transporting sticks?  (Read 8107 times)

dellorto

• View Profile
Transporting sticks?
« on: June 13, 2005, 01:46:16 PM »
Hi everyone. I have a question about transporting sticks in airline luggage.

I am moving from NJ to Japan in about a month. I'd like to take at least two of my sticks with me to keep up my practice when I get there (and to avoid having to buy replacements for my home-made favorites). What is the best way to pack a pair of rattan sticks, both for their safety and to avoid triggering any kind of ill-conceived reaction by the airline?

Should I wrap them up in plastic, label them "Martial Arts Equipment" and put them in something stiff enough to avoid breakage? All of the above, none of the above?

I am not sure if Japan has any issues with this, either - it is just two pieces of rattan, really. But who can tell?

Thanks.
Peter V. Dell'Orto

"The thing that you know to be true is the lie that will kill you." - Glen Cook, "Soldiers Live."

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Transporting sticks?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 03:48:17 PM »
I use a suit case that has the hard plastic corners which keeps the sticks safe.  The airline will most likely search anything you put them in anyways so just put them on top so they can see what they are.  

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

spartan300

• View Profile
Transporting sticks?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 09:20:21 PM »
My girlfriend, who was in Spain for a semester, brought back with her a nice short sword for me.   She packed it in a cardboard tube (similar to the kind used for posters and maps) and had no problem getting through security or customs with it.   I'm pretty sure you could grab a similar container at the post office for for a buck or two.

Tim

rharbers

• View Profile
Transporting sticks?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 10:45:52 AM »
Just declare them Martail Arts Training Weapons.  I go to Japan next summer and I found out from my Sensei.
An ordinary man thinks only on the surface.

Ronald R. Harbers

xtremekali

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/mykewillis/
Transporting sticks?
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 04:32:25 PM »
Woof,

If you have any doubts just ask the airline rep when you get your ticket or check your bags. I have traveled all over the world with my sticks and asps no questions asked. Just nervous about the firearms.

Just stay out of Chicago O'hara. I got held up for 2 and a half hours over a red gun (training weapon made of hard rubber). :?

Myke
For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know

dellorto

• View Profile
Transporting sticks?
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 05:45:40 PM »
Quote from: xtremekali

Just stay out of Chicago O'hara. I got held up for 2 and a half hours over a red gun (training weapon made of hard rubber). :?

Myke

Haha, I will. AFAIK, I'm direct from NYC to Narita.

I will talk to the rep once I find out what flight I'm on - I'm not able to plan my own flight, I just take what I get. But it sounds like I should be more concerned with packing them on top than with any hassle from the airline. That's good to know.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Peter
Peter V. Dell'Orto

"The thing that you know to be true is the lie that will kill you." - Glen Cook, "Soldiers Live."

argyll

• View Profile
Transporting sticks?
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 09:48:57 AM »
You won't have any trouble from the airline if its in checked luggage.     No need to declare.

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_5_16_2005_v3.pdf  

Can't say whether Japan customs will have any issues.

Best regards,

Argyll

Sekiya

• View Profile
Transporting sticks?
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 11:27:04 AM »
I put my sticks in my luggage going from LAX to Narita and in my golf bag moving back. No one asked or said anything.

On entering Narita, the customs agent is so classic, "Do you have any guns, cocaine, or heroin?" Hard to keep a straight face and answer without making any jokes.

On another occation leaving Narita when I had an imitation sword in a long, thin cardboard box as a carry-on: They asked questions at 3 different points to verify that it was an imitation. Finally they waived the forms you usually need to fill out and inspection after I told them I was Japanese American; now that makes complete sense, right? The JAL stewardess kept the sword on the plane in her locker.

It would've been better if I could've kept it at my seat just like in Kill Bill!

When I got to LAX the customs agent was pissed off at some other Chinese passengers who just arrived because none of them could understand English and weren't listening to her...so she waived me through to the front of the line and out the door.
Glen Isobe

dellorto

• View Profile
Transporting sticks?
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 01:42:09 AM »
Thanks for the help, guys. I threw the sticks into my checked luggage without any wrapping, labeling, or whatever. Got there fine and I didn't get a bit of hassle over them.

Too bad there is no one nearby to train with. Oh well, at least with sticks here I can drill on my own.

Thanks again to all.
Peter V. Dell'Orto